48 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

I love first person shooters and I've been deprived of many of them over the years in OSX.  But now I can boot into Windows.  For those of you windows gamers, which FPS's would you recommend to a connoisseur of carnage?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

/me sends tBC a whole mess of popsnizzle that's been sitting in his inventory.

Serious Sam 3 is the bee's knees. And it goes on sale real often.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

The 2013 Shadow Warrior remake – although it's also available for OS X.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 September 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

The 2013 Shadow Warrior remake – although it's also available for OS X.

It even runs ok under OS X. IS THIS BIZZARO WORLD????????
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Oh god, even though its not fully FPS, Just Cause 2 is RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY.

Far Cry 3 is a FPS, and its pretty swank for the wandering around and just killing bad guys sense. It has a story, if you call it that. Ha. And then its "Blood Dragon" expansion (stand alone?) is absolutely hilarious senseless 80s carnage fun in a modern engine.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

It's ok to skip fc3 and go right to blood dragon.

tbc is no hero Doc; Hes just your regular US Army Mark 4 Cyber Commando.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Haha yeah, Blood Dragon would totally appeal to tBC a lot more than the base game. I had a blast in Blood Dragon, my only complaint was it was shorter than a full game due to its 'expansion sorta' status.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Some others:

Fallout New Vegas is pretty neat, its ok without any mods. I think I only added a couple minor visual mods to it, which wern't really needed. Its FPS, with lots of good ole fights and shooting stuff. Might be a bit too RPG'y though in spots.

Red Faction Guerrilla has a whole lot of destructive goodness, mixed with a bit of open worldness, and overall progression. Lots of fighting, lots of blowin stuff up (actually, you see that building over there? Yeah go BLOW IT TO PIECES!).

PlanetSide 2 may be an MP game, but its really keen on doing lots of killing in a style you atune too. If you like heavy weapons, you go heavy. You like light n sneaky, you go infil. There are even vehicles to kill people with! Doesn't take anything to get into it... its free to play, and its the way I've played it. Haven't spent a dime in the game, and I'm Battle Rank 50 from off n on play.

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

In no particular order:

Crysis series
Betrayer
F.E.A.R. series
Hard Reset
Mirror's Edge (not a shooter, but first person)
Red Faction series
Far Cry series (except #2 which is quite boring; didn't play #4 yet but I hear it's good)
Sniper Elite series (played only V2 so far, fun in coop)
Thief series (not played yet but I hear it's good)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (same)

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Beans for everyone!!  Wooooooo!  Excellent.  Just what I needed.  I've started a list and I'll keep them in mind when I hear of a sale.  RPG is my second love Fm, and it's fine if it is part of the game mechanics of a FPS, I love Borderlands and Deux Ex for that nicely balanced combo.

I need some advice for Steam, what does the "Wishlist" and the "Followed" functions do.  I'd like something to notify me when one of my games pops up in a sale, is that what one of those are for?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Use the Wishlist on steam, dont use the 'follow', because if you follow it, you just get spammed by useless game news and dev commentary updates and unrelated garbage. Its like following a friend on facebook ;)

However, steam's wishlist wont send you an email everytime an item goes on sale. It seems like they randomly pick one to send once in awhile, as I've missed sales due to it not letting me know many times. Then I get some random game on sale which isnt even a good sale, like 25% off haha.

I find it easier to keep things in my wishlist, then just 'list the wishlist' and scan it for sale badges once every few days. Weekend and wednesdays.

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

On the note of wishlists, if you see a game you want that is offering a steam key on MGS/WGS, put that game on your wishlist on MGS/WGS. When it goes on sale you always get an email about it (unless you turn that pref off, its on by default). That way, you can snag a good sale there as well, and just apply the steam code to your steam account.

WGS (WinGameStore.com) is the PC counterpart. But many games on MGS, also work on PC, the key works the same cross platform. However ask first if you want to be certain (I've yet to come across a mac/pc key that only works on mac).

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

OK, I'll make a wishlist in MGS.  Thanks for the tip.

I've checked out the recommendations offered here and I have 13 games that look awesome.  Thanks guys!  Now I'm sorry I'm alla time mean to you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 September 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

RPG is my second love Fm, and it's fine if it is part of the game mechanics of a FPS, I love Borderlands and Deux Ex for that nicely balanced combo.
Then apart from Fallout New Vegas that Frigidman already mentioned, there's of course Fallout 3. Don't forget about the DLCs too, some are truly excellent (for New Vegas too).

The Mass Effect series is astounding.

I finished last week Dark Messiah of Might & Magic which I liked a lot: it's a mix of FPS and ARPG, a bit like Borderlands (in a totally different universe, of course). Unlike the games cited above, the length is reasonable (you could easily sink 75 h in Fallout 3 if you want to visit every single place like I do).

The Elder Scrolls series is renowned, but I've yet to play it so no opinion yet.

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:45 AM

I've only played the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis (plus expansion) games but I loved them both and plan to play the rest of them.

No love for Max Payne? I loved all three of them even though the first two are oldies now, still great games. As I mentioned elsewhere, Max Payne 3 does play out like an interactive movie but I really enjoyed it and the action sequences are great. There are plenty of them.

I hate the malaria thing in Farcry 2 but I need to give it another try. I bailed early when dying to it pissed me off. Blood Dragon pissed me off too because I stopped playing before hitting a checkpoint I guess and when I returned, none of my progress was saved. It is fun though and I want to give it another go this time around being careful to watch for a checkpoint before taking a break.

I heard the most recent Wolfenstein games are good from friends on Steam but haven't played them yet myself. Those are ones I'd buy without thinking twice though for a good time.

Rage if you haven't played it is fun and in Windows you can play the DLC too which was never made available sadly for the Mac version.

I'd say DOOM 3 BFG is a good time too if you haven't ever played it with the bonus of the oldies to mess with for fun and it includes the Resurrection of Evil expansion too. I've heard that is pretty good and want to get around to that as well at some point.

DOOM 4 is coming!

Oh, I really liked the first two FEAR games also and own the 3rd but haven't gotten around to it either. I don't think they are all that scary but they are fun shooters. Actually, the first one was a little creepy in places I guess.

I played some of Red Faction Guerrilla and enjoyed it. I just reinstalled that recently so I can play the rest of it. I have Armageddon too waiting in the wings. I had a lot of fun with the original games in the series back in the day.

Farcry 3 and 4 are on my wish list but as you can see from what I've written here, I am in no hurry to buy those with everything else I want to catch up on. The nice thing is when I do get to them, I'll grab them on sale for dirt with all DLC included.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

Awesome suggestions.  I'll research the new titles presented in the last two posts.  The pharaohs had things they needed in the afterlife entombed with them, bury me with my computer please and for frak sake make sure it is plugged in.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 September 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Awesome suggestions.  I'll research the new titles presented in the last two posts.  The pharaohs had things they needed in the afterlife entombed with them, bury me with my computer please and for frak sake make sure it is plugged in.

Bruh there's a game for that.

https://www.gog.com/game/afterlife

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

I can highly recommend Singularity (Trailer). It ran really well with a wrapper on my Mac even, and I do think it is one of Raven Softwares best games. Great story og very nice shooter mechanics. Visuals were also great back then, running on Unreal Engine 3. It is a bit modern-Wolfensteinish, if you are into that kind of setting/gameplay.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#19 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

You'll want to play Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's surprisingly well done.

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostdevSin, on 05 September 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

You'll want to play Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's surprisingly well done.

I was wondering about that one myself... I kind of went 'eh?' because it says its like a retro rehash of an old wolfenstein, and I wasn't sure if it was gonna be any good if its just a rehash.

-Fm [1oM7]