How do I designate a start up disk in Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:25 PM

This is the gaming machine I was thinking of building... and I already had it!

Your boot troubles aside, this was music to my ears. Everyone's heard me whining about how Apple no longer makes a tower like i want, so I'm keeping the ol' Mac Pro 2008 going as long as I can. Playing the big hog titles under bootcamp definitely seems like a good way to get a couple more years out of it. I might even spring for a 2nd SSD for the Windows partition to live on.

No rush, but it's nice to finally have a plan.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 September 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

Ok so when you goto the "task bar" you see an option like this

Posted Image

Yes.

And when you select "Restart in OS X" it defaults to your backup correct?

Yes.

If you select Boot Camp Control Panel do you see something like this?

Posted Image

Yes.

If you are in the control Panel, select the desired boot volume, then click Restart in the control panel does it boot to the correct volume? I.E. don't hit the Reboot In Mac OS X in the task bar.

No.  Neither clicking in the control panel, selecting the desired boot volume, then clicking Restart in the control panel OR hitting reboot in the Mac OS X in the task bar works.  I've tried both.

But I have very good news, I have found a very easy work-around.  I got an alert in Windows that I had an update and that I should select restart and install the update.  Well it turned out that after I selected "restart and install updates" there were 90 frakin' 5 of them!  OS X gives you the option of opting out of updates... grumble.  But that's neither here nor there.  Anyway I went off and did more of the heavy labor I had to do anyway and when I came back it had rebooted after the updates... to my main OS X drive!!!!  Huzzah!!!  And more -> !!  I went back into Windows via Bootchamp then clicked on Start in the task bar, went up to the upper right and clicked on the power icon, selected "Restart" from the drop down menu and rebooted onto my main OS X drive like a boss.

So there it is!  DirtyHarry, I have an easy workaround for you bro.  And Macdude, looks like I'm having...
Spoiler

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 September 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

Your boot troubles aside, this was music to my ears. Everyone's heard me whining about how Apple no longer makes a tower like i want, so I'm keeping the ol' Mac Pro 2008 going as long as I can. Playing the big hog titles under bootcamp definitely seems like a good way to get a couple more years out of it. I might even spring for a 2nd SSD for the Windows partition to live on.

No rush, but it's nice to finally have a plan.

I'm ecstatic.  My game has leapfrogged itself.  Now not only do my games play a million times better as well as not having time to play all the games I want to in my lifetime, I DON'T HAVE TIME TO PLAY ALL THE GAMES I WANT TO IN 50 LIFETIMES!

Matt I got a SSD-HD hybrid, a Seagate SSHD.  The OS goes onto the SSD section and it is super fast, but the rest of the disk is a regular spinning hard disk.  The result is a lightening fast OS supporting a game.  My load times are a fraction of what they are in OS X on a SSD and the map transition is startlingly fast, unreal fast.  Slow loads and an excruciatingly long map transition was my experience with the super slow OS X Pre-Sequel on a SSD.  Gets you a Seagate SSHD fo yo Windows boy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:36 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

And Macdude, looks like I'm having...
Spoiler

Umm, little too much info in that spoiler isn't there? Better check that again...
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#24 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

Oh yeah, with windows, you need to let Windows Update do its thing when it asks. Sometimes it levels out to a couple little updates a week or two. But they tend to be small and quick, some don't require reboots.

You may want to enable or use the built in Microsoft Security Essentials to keep on top of malware and virus detection. In windows 7 its called MSE, but In windows8 I forget what they renamed it too... but its essentially the same thing, but more tightly integrated into the OS (not as much a stand alone install as with Win7). If its already on, just let it be... its the best (and free) anti-virus for windows out there.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 September 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

Umm, little too much info in that spoiler isn't there? Better check that again...

A cat can have it's hobbies.  I don't criticize your pastimes.  Besides, it brings back fond mammaries of when I was a kitten.

Posted Image

View PostFrigidman™, on 05 September 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

Oh yeah, with windows, you need to let Windows Update do its thing when it asks. Sometimes it levels out to a couple little updates a week or two. But they tend to be small and quick, some don't require reboots.

You may want to enable or use the built in Microsoft Security Essentials to keep on top of malware and virus detection. In windows 7 its called MSE, but In windows8 I forget what they renamed it too... but its essentially the same thing, but more tightly integrated into the OS (not as much a stand alone install as with Win7). If its already on, just let it be... its the best (and free) anti-virus for windows out there.

I've heard that before and I'm utilizing the built in security already.  Thanks for the tip though, that solidifies my trust in Widows security and I need that.  Security shouldn't be a too big a problem for me because I don't plan on using Windows for anything except gaming.  

To clarify my solution above:

Download and install Bootchamp
Set your startup disk in the system prefs
Boot into windows using Bootchamp
When you are ready to go back to OS X: go to Start, click on the power icon in the upper right, and select "Restart" from the dropdown menu

Huzzah.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

Who knew bootchamp didn't permanently set the boot volume. Not me.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#27 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

That is quite an attractive kitten in that photo there. Very nice.

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

I'd love to have a kitty like that in my hands right now.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

I'd love to have a kitty like that in my hands right now.

I bet you would. :D

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Matt I got a SSD-HD hybrid, a Seagate SSHD.  The OS goes onto the SSD section and it is super fast, but the rest of the disk is a regular spinning hard disk.

This was an excellent call by the way. I had a Windows 7 license fall into my lap recently so I spent a couple evenings making a bootcamp drive, installed drivers, updates, and two Assassin's Creed games. I even set up a VMWare VM wrapper so I could access that copy of Windows from OS X. But it was so slow to use that I just couldn't stand it. So I caved and bought an SSHD (hybrid) and rebuilt the whole thing from scratch. Totally worth spending the extra time.

(I haven't actually run any games yet; I'll try AC2:Brotherhood or AC4 sometime this week.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.