How do I designate a start up disk in Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

::The Imperial March plays sinisterly as Darth Cat enters the room::

I have felt the powah of the Dark Side.  I see now that it is my destiny™.  I bought a copy of Windows 8.1 and a TB SSHD last month and finally installed them both in my Mac Pro day before yesterday.  I fired up Explorer for the only time and downloaded Chrome, then I used chrome to download Steam.  From Steam I started downloading all the PC counterparts to my Steam Mac games.  That ran all night.

Got on it first thing in the morning and played till about 3PM.  It was magnificent.  Sorry OS X, but you suck at games.  I played the Pre-Sequel without any sign of the hesitation and stuttering at the start and not a hint of anything bogging the game down as it does in OSX.  In OS X I had the settings low and it still ran like a dog.  On the PC I had all the settings at max!  More than that, a lengthy boring transition of maps in OS X was sometimes startlingly in your face before you could read any text of look at the transition image in Windows, It was like the blink of an eye when traveling to where you already were, the longest taking 5 seconds.  The game startup was very fast in comparison too.  This is the gaming machine I was thinking of building... and I already had it!  The whole gaming experience seemed effortless with slippery smooth handling.  I had frame rate out the butt hole.

So there's some problems I've had and most of them are just figuring out the new version of Windows.  But there is one that is Apples fault.  There is an Apple Bootcamp app in my Windows system tray that can't find my OS X startup disk.  I've reinstalled the Apple drivers from the thumb drive to no avail.  

I have a fully occupied 4 drive bay, all bootable.  I have my OS X disk, a nightly backup disk, a weekly backup disk, and a Windows disk.  It always puts me into the weekly backup disk (They are bootable mirrors of my startup disk)

Here is what happens:  I click the bootcamp icon in my system tray, start the setup app, set the startup disk to my actual startup disk, then click "Restart into OS X".  It restarts into Windows.  I do it again and it restarts on the weekly backup.  I go to system prefs and reset my startup disk to the proper one and reboot.  It's a pain in the padinkus.

I want to know 2 things:
1) How to fix the bootcamp system tray app.
2) How do I set the startup disk in Windows 8.1.

And sorry for the wall of text.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

I can't help you with that issue, but....welcome to PC gaming! Master Race, etc. I love the gaming rig I built last fall.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 September 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

I want to know 2 things:
1) How to fix the bootcamp system tray app.
2) How do I set the startup disk in Windows 8.1.
1.) No idea. It's wonky for me, too, but for other reasons: it sometimes claims not to be able to find the OS X start volume when I click it the first time, but works fine on the second click.

2.) There should be a BootCamp Control Panel among the rest of the Windows Control Panels. I can only show you some german screenshots, but you should get the idea.
Spoiler

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

The Battle Cat, I just press the option key at startup and select the disk I want. Done! Not applicable to those with non-flashed PC cards, though, which don't have any boot screen (losers ;) ).
And, and one tip: upgrade to Windows 10 (free), it's so much better than 8.1.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 03 September 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

The Battle Cat, I just press the option key at startup and select the disk I want. Done! Not applicable to those with non-flashed PC cards, though, which don't have any boot screen (losers ;) ).
And, and one tip: upgrade to Windows 10 (free), it's so much better than 8.1.

I tried holding the option key on powerup but it was taking forever so I gave up.  I'll give it another shot.  I thought Windows 10 was still in beta.  Is it ready for prime time?  I'm not an early adaptor.

And Janichsan, thanks, I'll try that control panel.  I was using the control panel in the bootcamp system tray dongle.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with the other control panel.

And thanks to both of you!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 September 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

I thought Windows 10 was still in beta.  Is it ready for prime time?  I'm not an early adaptor.
It shipped at the end of July. It certainly is more stable on my Mac Pro than OS X 10.10 Yosemite was in the beginning...

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:35 PM

Windows 10 is nice. I'd recommend upgrading to it also.

I've never had an issue with selecting a startup disk in Windows using that tray icon to do it so I can't help there. However, I will say that in my own case I find it convenient to just leave it set to boot to Windows by default and when I am done there, I go the holding down the option key route to choose my Mac startup disk when I want to boot back.

You could set the startup disk in OS X of course to whatever and leave it set at your preference and then just option boot when done as one idea. Changing the setting via bootcamp every boot it seemed like six of one, half dozen of the other which is why I went with the way I do it.

It is a little slow for the choices to pop on reboot but they will. In my own case, four options present themselves. I have no idea if the number of options that need to be displayed on boot could affect the time it takes for them to appear or not.

I hope you have success with the suggest control panel option if that is what you'd prefer and would be interested in hearing how you made out with that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 03 September 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

It shipped at the end of July. It certainly is more stable on my Mac Pro than OS X 10.10 Yosemite was in the beginning...

Will do, thanks for the heads up!  Do the Bootcamp drivers install in Windows 10 properly?  (I've already had to reinstall bootcamp in windows because of error messages.  Windows and installs... so whacked, how many of us have had to re-drag an app from a dmg to your app folder?  I haven't had any problems like that since OS9.)  

DirtyHarry, I tried option booting again and I just gave up both times.  I'll try for longer but do I have to keep my finger on the option button the whole time or just for a few seconds before and after I start the boot?  I'll test that next time.  I've noticed that when it switches to an OS X boot disk it automatically selects Weekly Backup every time.  I could swap my main disk with the Weekly Back up disk as a solution.  

I need some more information for that though.  I know which one is my main disk and which one is my bootcamp disk but I have no idea which is the Weekly Backup disk.  I need to label them when I find out.  Is there a chart that shows which drive is in which drive bay, I can consult that for help.  Also I need to know in what order it is looking at the drive bay.  With the CPU box door off and looking at the bays, are they numbered left to right or right to left?  I can do it by process of elimination but I'd rather go straight to it and make the swap only once.  I'll take out one of the mystery ones and fire it up to see which is missing.  

I think first though I'll upgrade to Windows 10 then reinstall bootcamp see if that clears it up.  I'm very concerned that my option boot doesn't seem to be functional.  That was my emergency plan!  It's been so long since I've had to do it I don't remember if it was a long ass wait.  I think I want to be assured that I can access the option boot feature first, so I'll simply do a couple restarts onto my main drive using the option boot.  Computers have turned out to be amazing time saving devices have they not?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

Option boot takes FOREVER on my Mac Pro.

Technically Apple doesn't support windows 10 on your mac pro.

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT204990

This doesn't really mean anything since windows 10 will generally have all the drivers, but it does mean that the boot camp control panel and task bar icon may not work (usually the installer grumbles, but if you dig around the WindowsDrivers you can sort of install everything one by one).

The boot drive is set in EFI, swapping the drive won't necessarily solve your issue.
https://developer.ap...n8/bless.8.html

Just to clarify, you are saying when you use the Reboot in Mac OS X task bar option its rebooting to your backup disk correct?

My process is as follows.
     Correct startup disk set in Mac OS X
     Use BootChamp to reboot to windows
     Correct startup disk is still set under windows
     Use Reboot in Mac OS X taskbar app to reboot to Mac OS X

Also are you saying that you get an error when you go into the Boot Camp Control Panel under Windows 8? If you get into the boot camp control panel is your main drive, not the backup drive set as the boot device?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 September 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Option boot takes FOREVER on my Mac Pro.

K, thanks.

Just to clarify, you are saying when you use the Reboot in Mac OS X task bar option its rebooting to your backup disk correct?

No.  The Mac "startup disk" system pref works flawlessly on my Mac.  It is the restart to OS X  from the Windows system tray bootcamp app that boots me onto the Weekly Backup disk.  I don't have a Mac OS X task bar option.  I don't even know what a freakin' Mac OS X task bar option is!  I can only assume you mean Mac OS X dock option but I don't have that either.  From hereon until I'm corrected I will assume by "task bar" you mean "dock".

My process is as follows.
Correct startup disk set in Mac OS X
Use BootChamp to reboot to windows
Correct startup disk is still set under windows
Use Reboot in Mac OS X taskbar app to reboot to Mac OS X

I don't understand what you are saying here.  I have no Bootcamp on my Mac that will boot me into windows.  I have no Mac OS task bar bootcamp app.  All I have is the bootcamp assistant on the Mac with no option but to load my drivers onto the thumb drive or delete windows 7.  This is my process:

I go to my system pref "startup disk", choose the bootcamp disk, then click on the restart button.

When finished in Windows, I use my system tray bootcamp app to restart in OS X.

Are you talking about the original process of installing?  Then I still have no Mac OS X dock bootcamp app (just the bootcamp assistant), and no way to access the Mac OS X dock  bootcamp app from Windows.  

Also are you saying that you get an error when you go into the Boot Camp Control Panel under Windows 8? If you get into the boot camp control panel is your main drive, not the backup drive set as the boot device?

I got an error the first time I tried to access the Win system tray bootcamp app's control panel.  It said the app failed to run.  So I reinstalled the Apple drivers into Windows and it works fine now.  I now have the main drive successfully selected in the Win bootcamp control panel.  Reinstall of the drivers fixed the problem.  But I'm still restarting onto the wrong drive when I click on the Windows system tray bootcamp "Restart in OS X" option.

I am so cornfused.  
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

I think what may begin to help here, is if people used actual verbiage found in and on apps and put such in quotes so you know when someone is talking about the "Bootcamp Assistant" or the "OS X Bootcamp Launcher" or "BootChamp" (which is a helpful 3rd party app), that would be the text one looks for to find whatever that is.

In Windows:

"Taskbar" = the bottom right side in windows that is mainly comprised of many tiny little icons you hover or click on to do things.
"Start Menu" = the bottom left bigassed button in windows that opens a big ole menu of popsnizzle to launch, depending on which windows, it could turn the whole desktop into a tiled mess of garbage, or it pops up a menu of easy to find applications and control panels.

Personally, its been forever since I did bootcamp, so I don't know whats going on either.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 September 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

I think what may begin to help here, is if people used actual verbiage found in and on apps and put such in quotes so you know when someone is talking about the "Bootcamp Assistant" or the "OS X Bootcamp Launcher" or "BootChamp" (which is a helpful 3rd party app), that would be the text one looks for to find whatever that is.

In Windows:

"Taskbar" = the bottom right side in windows that is mainly comprised of many tiny little icons you hover or click on to do things.
"Start Menu" = the bottom left bigassed button in windows that opens a big ole menu of popsnizzle to launch, depending on which windows, it could turn the whole desktop into a tiled mess of garbage, or it pops up a menu of easy to find applications and control panels.

Personally, its been forever since I did bootcamp, so I don't know whats going on either.

OK this helps.  I've downloaded "Bootchamp" and will test that according to Macdudes instructions.  The "task bar" is now called the "system tray" by 8.1 Windows.  I was using their terminology.  but now I can translate.

This sounds like my best shot at it.  Thanks guys.  I'll get on it and report back later.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hmm, yeah, I've seen it mentioned as "system tray" too. I shoulda added that. Depends on the apps age, it refers to 'taskbar' or 'system tray'. Usually in regards to 'on launch', as in it wants to jamb something down there always when the machine is running (like steam, and razor, and nvidia).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

I'm still running Wandows 7 on the Mac Pro so I'll call it "task bar" if I wanna.

I don't know how the boot camp tools make the determination of what drive to reboot to when you select "Restart in OS X" but if you go into the control panel and select the correct boot drive and reboot that should work every time. 60% of the time.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#15 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 September 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

Do the Bootcamp drivers install in Windows 10 properly?
Yes. I did that last weekend actually. Even though they're not officially supported (see macdude22's comment), it works fine. More often than not, not supported means for Apple "your machine is too old for our taste and you should buy a new one, so we won't bother testing on it and don't come complaining to a Genius bar as we won't give a rat's ass".

DirtyHarry, I tried option booting again and I just gave up both times.  I'll try for longer but do I have to keep my finger on the option button the whole time or just for a few seconds before and after I start the boot?
You need to press option as soon as the Mac restarts, and until the cursor appears on the grey screen. Then you can release (or keep holding, it won't hurt either); the drives will appear after that.

Is there a chart that shows which drive is in which drive bay, I can consult that for help
Disk Utility will list the drives and partitions, and in which bay they are.

Also I need to know in what order it is looking at the drive bay.  With the CPU box door off and looking at the bays, are they numbered left to right or right to left?  
You'll feel awfully silly, but here goes: open the case, it's written next to each bay. ;) It should be 1 to 4, with 1 being at the front and 4 at the rear.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

I assume you get the chime sound on boot. If not this won't help but if you do, that is when to hit option and hold it down until the choices appear. Once I hear my iMac make that chime sound I hit it, hold it, etc.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

Well I've got Bootchamp running, and it boots me into Windows just fine but I still get kicked back to Weekly Backup when I restart OSX with the Windows Bootcamp app.  I followed Macdudes process to the letter.

I even went back and forth between windows and OSX a couple of times because the Windows side is confused once when you first set it up.  It looked like everything was in order but it wasn't.  frak me.  I guess I'll just find a nice little weight or clamp for the option key, that way I can be doing something until it finally loads up.  Meanwhile I'm getting the free 10 upgrade.

Thanks for all your time and energy and help (you guys are awesome) but it looks like I'm screwed.  It's not easy being green.  The universe doesn't want me to have any fun.  I'll just kick some dirt over my computer and go live in sackcloth and ashes until I die of misery and a broken heart.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

I only have one Bootable OS X volume in my MP but I will doodle around tonight over whiskey to see if we can find a solution to your problem.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 September 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

I only have one Bootable OS X volume in my MP but I will doodle around tonight over whiskey to see if we can find a solution to your problem.

Wait until after you are ablaze with whiskey before you read the spoiler:

Spoiler

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Ok so when you goto the "task bar" you see an option like this

Posted Image

And when you select "Restart in OS X" it defaults to your backup correct?

If you select Boot Camp Control Panel do you see something like this?

Posted Image

If you are in the control Panel, select the desired boot volume, then click Restart in the control panel does it boot to the correct volume? I.E. don't hit the Reboot In Mac OS X in the task bar.