#21 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

Ha, so agree... I just went through that with Square Enix, and they are one company who have so many different logins and ways they tied their crap together, and even their own support site has a different login! So annoying.

I'm not sure its that much better in the console world. each company wants their own user data.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#22 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

Well, they got back to me after I looked up and furnished them with all kinds of info going back five years. They wrote back to inform me that the accounts were now both linked under the newer Guild Wars 2 email versus the old ncsoft login. Fine.

So I go and fire up the original Guild Wars Trilogy to test this login change and of course it won't take the password I know I set. I click the link to reset it and I am taken to ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2 page that offers to reset my password. I provide the info they want, 5 year old CD key and all, I get an error, they never heard of me, etc.

WTF??? So, now not only can I still not access the free to play game but I cannot play the one I paid for anymore either. OMG... I AM RAGING!!!

No, I am laughing at the incredibly idiocy of it all. I was having fun with Dragon Age before checking back on this. I think I will just go back to that now and maybe next time they will write me back and let me login to at least the game I paid for hopefully.

There is something not quite right when the game becomes the challenge of logging in to the game. Usually I am not such a sore looser but I have to admit I am feeling like a bit of poor sport here. I think it has to do with the dumb idea that when I pay for something I should get to use it. Maybe I've just become an entitled hipster like the PC users tell me I am sometimes.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:04 AM

I want to give credit where it is due after all my complaining. I never expected such a rapid and complete resolution of my issues but the ArenaNet support people were very good and did get back to me yet again, this time with a password reset link that did not require knowing the previous password nor any other info. It just prompted for the new one twice and I was good to go. I tested this out with Guild Wars Trilogy and was able to log into my characters there no problem. I started the Guild Wars 2 installer and the launcher is up and running now downloading the game. I was able to login there also with no problem and both games use the same credentials and both games are now linked to the same account. Whew!

I was premature in going nuts on them. I am not used to a game company that responds rapidly to me on a holiday weekend and actually fixes my problem too with a minimum number of rapid turnaround communications. They certainly did provide me excellent customer service after all although I maintain that the system should be simpler which is not support's fault of course. Those poor guys get to deal with the likes of me while never having had anything to do with why it is such a hassle to begin with. On a bright note, I am aware of that always and do act accordingly when speaking with support people in general.

So, now I will finally get to see after all of this if the game will run decently here or not. I will report my findings later on for anybody interested.

#24 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Got around to trying out Guild Wars 2 again last night. It runs pretty well here now although I assume that is largely due to the fact that I am using a newer iMac than the last time I tried it. I was running it at 1440p with default recommended settings which varied from high to medium when I looked at them. Overall, the game looks fine so I didn't feel any inclination to mess with those. I did notice some frame rate dips at times but for the most part it was holding steady around 60 FPS. I'll need to try combat in some busy area before coming to a conclusion about whether I think performance is really good enough or not but it seems acceptable if not stellar compared to before when it was awful.

Considering you pay for the game I wasn't thrilled by the cash shop although what I saw there was optional for the most part other than selling additional character slots and added bag space. That irked me as I feel the game should just include the bag space since you buy it and really, the character slots ought to as well in my opinion.

Otherwise, just perusing the UI and running around a little it appears to be fairly typical MMO fare which is fine if you like them as I do. I'd have to play a character to cap to have much more opinion than this really aside of notes about whatever I might encounter along the way, etc. In its free to play form it does seem like you can enjoy quite a lot of content with limited restriction so plenty of time to decide if buying it is worthwhile for you or not. I do like that, being able to really test drive something. I will buy a game like that if it sucks me in and deserves my time and money.

The game seems to be somewhat CPU intensive. My fans spun up to max even before I logged into the world, just at the screen viewing my character. When I checked temps I found the CPU was running up to 99 C and the GPU meantime was hitting 90 C. After I logged I thought to myself, I better flip this iMac over and vacuum out the vents and clear any that might need it with a pin to ensure maximal airflow. I've been meaning to get around to that. I will before firing up this game again. Max Payne 3 never caused the fans to rev up like that or temps to go that high yet it too was a cider port running at 1440p high settings. Of course, I have no idea to what degree each game taxes the CPU and GPU relative to each other or in total. Obviously, Max was not as demanding as Guild Wars 2 and yet Guild Wars 2 actually does not look any better than Max Payne 3 to my eyes at the settings I mention here.

I'm going to play it some more and check out the content. It does look kind of fun to me. Whether it is fun enough to pay for and level up to cap in remains to be seen but I plan to make some time for it and find out.

#25 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

What I like about Guild Wars 2 is that the quest system is completely exploration based... you just wander the world and do popsnizzle.... no running back and forth between Stormwind and Blackrock Depths 15 times just to be able to face Onyxia... and that was nothing compared to the horde attunement. Of course, I haven't gotten to any endgame content yet, but it feels fun to explore the world and only backtrack for your personal quest every 10 levels. Still, it's very MMOish, but I like the random events and stuff you find just by wandering.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#26 LadyZarjah

LadyZarjah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

Although I prefer games with more content there's some strange allure to MMOs.
I'm currently running GW2 on my old trustworthy friend, a mid 2010 iMac and while not stellar in performance it's still playable in native resolution (1080p).
GW2 works quite well as a procrastination tool while studying :)
Ran out cake years go... never stopped trying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guild Wars 2, MMO, Banana Split