#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

Since the weekend, Guild Wars 2 is available completely free (microtransactions aside). Well, at least the base game. The upcoming Heart of Thrones expansion still costs money. From my understanding, there a some small limitations when you now sign up for free, that mainly serve to avoid in-game spam, but otherwise you are supposed to get all the content.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

And here I thought it was cheap when I bought it for $10. Mac client works great too :)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

Wow. That is cool. I am glad to hear a report of the Mac client working well. I wonder what the future of it holds though now that Transgaming Cider is in the hands of Nvidia who probably couldn't care less about that aspect of their acquisition. I guess time will tell. It would be sweet if the end result of lost support there was a native client replacement. Hope springs eternal!

It ran horribly on my mid-2011 iMac with the Radeon 6970m GPU, 12 gigs of RAM, etc. I removed it after that trial experience. I would have bought and played it at the time had it worked well. Maybe on my late-2013 iMac with a Nvidia 775m it will run better now.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

Hm. Although it being free to play the base game, do I REALLY want to get into another MMO these days? Hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

It looks interesting so I may try it. Unfortunately I have the same setup as DirtyHarry, so it may not be worth it.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

Its downloading.

I mean, no harm in TRYING it. It may be like all the other MMO's I've tried in recent years: SUCKTASTIC

But hey, if for some unholy reason it actually blows me off my feet and I get sucked in... well, so I lose a few years of my life again to a game... didn't kill me before.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Let us know. If you love it, then I will download it. :P

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 September 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Let us know. If you love it, then I will download it. :P

I thought you didn't like what I like? I mean... I liked Tomb Raider afterall...

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

Well, I gave it an honest go, and my summary is "that was a waste of my lunch hour". I knew pretty quickly it wasn't going to grab me as it started out and looked/behaved/setup exactly like every other generic ho-hum MMO out there. But I gave it a go for an hour, got up the levels and abilities, explored the starter area, poked around in the interfaces and features, and just didnt see or find any new above-and-beyond fun in it. Even though its free, and I can continue to play
whenever ... I just honestly don't see me doing that.

Its got the same draw to me like Rift and Defiance has... its free, sure, but, eh.

Sorry, I'm sure its someone's cup of jo, but it just didn't scream 'this is so different and cool!'... not like Tabula Rasa did, or SWTOR (sadly SWTOR was just a solo game that had an ending so I don't consider it really an MMO).

Ah well.

PS: The game at middle settings ran pretty nasty compared to other more newer games at full ultra smoothness... so I dunno what the deal was there. Something 3 years old with updates shouldn't run like ass like it is.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 September 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

PS: The game at middle settings ran pretty nasty compared to other more newer games at full ultra smoothness... so I dunno what the deal was there. Something 3 years old with updates shouldn't run like ass like it is.

I suspect the cider is a little too hard on that one. I've heard it runs great on same hardware with Windows.

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 02 September 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

I suspect the cider is a little too hard on that one. I've heard it runs great on same hardware with Windows.
You just described EVERY game available for both platforms. On a better note the game runs great on my setup.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Well I dont know what 'great' is to an MMO game... but compared to all kinds of other 1-2 year old amazingly visual and heavy graphic games, gw2 is running like I'm playing on my old old system. Seems no amount of up-adjust or down made it run any better either. It just, is, meh. Its not like its 'due to other people in the game' because in the starter area, there really isn't all that many other players. I see maybe 3 or four running around. If that causes sluggish gameplay, hell, I'd hate to get to a main area lol.

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 September 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I thought you didn't like what I like? I mean... I liked Tomb Raider afterall...
You must be thinking of someone else - I've only played Tomb Raider Anniversary, and I quite liked it...

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

You must be thinking of someone else - I've only played Tomb Raider Anniversary, and I quite liked it...

Oh. Hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 September 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

You just described EVERY game available for both platforms. On a better note the game runs great on my setup.

I don't think that is true in terms of decent playable performance across the board. It varies by title how significant the difference is. Guild Wars 2 was horrible on OS X while it was excellent in Windows. From a performance perspective it was a cider port at their very worst. The difference was huge from what I read of other people's experiences who were willing after a bad Mac install to do it again in Windows. Personally, I just opted to bail instead at the time as I mentioned.

I do understand what you mean in that performance is almost universally better in Windows but many times the hit isn't nearly so dramatic as what i saw with the with Guild Wars 2 cider port, thus the crack about hard cider.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 September 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

Well I dont know what 'great' is to an MMO game... but compared to all kinds of other 1-2 year old amazingly visual and heavy graphic games, gw2 is running like I'm playing on my old old system. Seems no amount of up-adjust or down made it run any better either. It just, is, meh. Its not like its 'due to other people in the game' because in the starter area, there really isn't all that many other players. I see maybe 3 or four running around. If that causes sluggish gameplay, hell, I'd hate to get to a main area lol.

That sounds a lot like what I saw when I tried it on the 2011 iMac. The only way to get a playable framerate was to turn everything down so low, including the resolution that the game looked uglier than EverQuest in 1999. It really looked awful and yet other games with good graphics ran great so I wrote it off as being due to cider suckage since people reported in ran well in Windows.

I can't put down EverQuest the way I just did. EQ looked good in its day. Guild Wars 2 looked like mud, blurry, nasty mud.

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hehe. Well, even if it ran as smooth as Warcrap... its still a Warcrap clone through and through... so I have no real ambition to even get into it. Nothing struck me as fresh and fun. So, oh wells. Moving on ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

You must be one of those people who requires a game to engage your mind at least on some minimal level. I on the other hand do sometimes enjoy vegetating mentally while I grind away in MMO worlds earning useless stuff that take ridiculous amounts of my time to get. To give you an idea of just how bad I am when it comes to this, I like fishing in WoW sometimes. That's about as mindless as game play gets I'd say. I'll just hang out reading guild chat and casting my line daydreaming about stuff while I skill up. It gets even better though. I have done this to max with more than one character, reputation earned fishing poles and all. No wonder I have so many unplayed games.

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 02 September 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

You must be one of those people who requires a game to engage your mind at least on some minimal level. I on the other hand do sometimes enjoy vegetating mentally while I grind away in MMO worlds earning useless stuff that take ridiculous amounts of my time to get. To give you an idea of just how bad I am when it comes to this, I like fishing in WoW sometimes. That's about as mindless as game play gets I'd say. I'll just hang out reading guild chat and casting my line daydreaming about stuff while I skill up. It gets even better though. I have done this to max with more than one character, reputation earned fishing poles and all. No wonder I have so many unplayed games.

Oh, I've been there too in MMO's... especially back in StarWarsGalaxies days... and to some extent, in Lord of the Rings Online. But both those games had something that 'grabbed me'. While I did try WoW for two months during the intial time granted, I didn't see it keeping me. And then I've tried like Rift, and Defiance, and now GW2, and they all just dont have that special something that grabs me. I cannot explain what it is... it just didn't exist.

And yeah, I like a mindless time killer once in awhile, something that doesn't require a lot of thought, or effort... but is relatively enjoyable on a basic visual level or something. I get burned out enough at work to enjoy the simpler of games at times :)

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

I cannot believe what a royal pain in the ass the login for Guild Wars 2 now in its free form is. I had already linked my existing original Guild Wars account to Guild Wars 2 during a free promo weekend at one point. I did that in case some miracle happened and I actually did some stuff in the first game that would carry over to the second. I don't know if that is even relevant anymore. It might be easier to just establish an entirely new and separate account or better still to not bother at all and go do something else besides being irritated by these clowns. GRRR... I put in a support ticket as follows before deleting the installation in progress just now. If they come back with something painless, MAYBE I will try it again.

"I can login to my account on the relevant page of your site. There, I can see my Guild Wars account is listed as active, not that it lets me click on this to do anything all related to it, such as view my account info or whatever. Meantime, I see Guild Wars 2 listed as well but it wants me to register. I already was registered and the accounts linked. I don't know what changed here. I do know this, it is very frustrating trying to just login and see if the game runs better now on a newer iMac than when I did the free trial and bailed in the past because of poor performance. I don't know why there has to be such a convoluted pain in the rear process in just having a single account with my Guild Wars titles managed in it, just one single pain free account that is not a hassle like this to login to and update if need be or whatnot. I am nearly ready to just delete it and go play something else to be honest. I don't have a lot of time for stuff that won't just work out of the box. I'm sorry to vent like that but honestly, why make it hard for your customers like this? We shouldn't have to work for it just to play the game. I'd pay for this if it works well and I could login to the damned thing."

This kind of stuff with game logins all over the place really pisses me off. I keep careful records of all this BS and they STILL find ways to pork me even when I have retained valid login information.

Is it any wonder that console gaming is looking better and better to me as time goes by? One login. Done. At least I hope to God that is how it works in the console worlds. Maybe I should grab a deck of cards and just sit down at my kitchen table for some hassle free solitaire. I like that game and it doesn't piss me off. I don't have to login. It never needs updates. I has ZERO bugs. What's not to love?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guild Wars 2, MMO, Banana Split