#1 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

First Black Friday in July. Now End of Summer Sales. If sales are perpetual, are they even news?

I will let you ponder that thought. I would argue that this sale is a bit of news, though. because it has this weird and crazy Telltale bundle sale that I almost did not notice. You can make your own bundle and your discount goes up. So I was able to snag Game of Thrones for less than $8 by adding some cheap games I didn't want. Would've been $15 otherwise. So, yay. Also, Humble has started to give Steam keys for Telltale games for the first time. But if you hate Steam, you also get Telltale ones.

Incidentally, I have no interest in the Poker games, and I have already played the Puzzle Agent games on iOS, so if you want a code, message me.

(This should probably be moved to the news section, but I can't post there.)

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

I wish I could get steam keys for my Telltale boxed copy of Monkey Island.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

There is some limited time free windows game on Humble now too. I got the Steam key because, well I don't know why really. I guess if it's for free, it's for me.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:43 AM

View PostCougar, on 28 August 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I would argue that this sale is a bit of news, though. because it has this weird and crazy Telltale bundle sale that I almost did not notice. You can make your own bundle and your discount goes up.
I hate you for noticing the Telltale bundle sale (just kidding: thanks for this). I hate me for noticing your message. :wallbash: I ended up buying Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, The Walking Dead Season 2, Jurassic Park and Poker Night 2 (I already have the other games). As if my backlog wasn't large enough already! Good thing these Telltale games aren't too long to complete.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:36 AM

Tropico 4 (Mac & PC) is free in the HB store for the next 18 hours.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostCougar, on 28 August 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

First Black Friday in July. Now End of Summer Sales. If sales are perpetual, are they even news?

In regards to the old original post...

Yeah... people just expect things to be on sale now, that its nigh impossible to sell anything at normal price. Hell, even NEW games coming out, are immediately put on sale for 10 or 15% off ... ?!?!

From my perspective as a gamer, I never buy a regular priced game again, ever... theres no point, it will be on sale for ridiculous anyhow.
As a person who WORKS for an ecommerce store... its aggravating to have to keep running sales and promos to get any sales to occur.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

What is has really fueled this trend of sale prices also is the fact that due to a regular parade of large seasonal sales followed by the above mentioned sales of ever increasing frequency most gamers have such a large backlog (they won't live long enough to play through) that there is rarely any compelling reason to buy any new release at full price.

It reminds me now of food stores. Every week there is a new circular of sale prices, often for the same stuff. It's reached a point where I consider the sale price the real price and won't buy it unless it is on sale, whatever it happens to be. Games of course vary by title endlessly but they are all just games and as such I don't consider any of them to be worth more than 20 bucks in complete editions including all DLC anymore because I can easily wait for that and will. Many times in the past I wouldn't pull the trigger even for a great game until it was ten bucks complete. Why should I?

All I can say is, thanks Gabe! By the way, it's kinda funny how Gabe is not exactly preoccupied with making games to sell anymore is he? Old Gaben's no fool.

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

I was just thinking, there is one exception to my rule about new releases and that is MMO expansion content. That to me is compelling because I will actually play it right now so it is worth the money they want for it and I am fine with that. Blizzard has really done an outstanding job revitalizing World of Warcraft with the Legion expansion. I consider it the best one they have done since the first one they did which interestingly was based around the same theme of fighting the Burning Legion demons invading the world. This one is so well done with so much fun and rewarding stuff to do that it was easily worth the 50 bucks they wanted for it including the monthly. I play it constantly now every day and have a really great time doing so with a guild I have been a part of for nearly a decade. The game itself I have been playing on and off (quite a lot overall) since late vanilla, so also over a decade.

People often think a subscription MMO is expensive between the monthly and the game and the expansions but when you average that out over time it is a LOT cheaper and a lot more fun than buying tons of games on sale that one never even plays. I wish I had figured this out before I indulged in the first Steam sale, Humble Bundle, GOG sale, etc. because even at cheap prices I am ashamed of my own stupidity in buying so many games I simply cannot possibly ever play due to the time it would take. I literally won't live long enough even if I tried to do that which I won't.

So, now I sit out almost all major sales and only cherry pick certain games I hope to really play, like Pillars of Eternity which I am still waiting for the right price on. I could see myself playing that and the latest Divinity game and Fallout 4 and I don't know what else I'd really have time for even though I'd enjoy other ones no doubt. I like to think I am on the road back to sanity with this stuff hopefully.

Once upon a time, I went to my local Egghead and bought one Ultima game, took it home and played it constantly until I was done. Then I made a trip to get another game or maybe even two and played those, etc. I never, ever should have deviated from that. At least I am open and honest about my mistakes. I don't know what else to say about them aside of regretting them.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 September 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

In regards to the old original post...

Yeah... people just expect things to be on sale now, that its nigh impossible to sell anything at normal price. Hell, even NEW games coming out, are immediately put on sale for 10 or 15% off ... ?!?!

From my perspective as a gamer, I never buy a regular priced game again, ever... theres no point, it will be on sale for ridiculous anyhow.
As a person who WORKS for an ecommerce store... its aggravating to have to keep running sales and promos to get any sales to occur.

I have been saying for years the race to the bottom will cause a crash not unlike the computer manufacturing crash of the late 90s when Dell drove prices to rock bottom. I'll admit it's been taking longer than I expected however. I'm not sure if developers are just happy to survive on bone meal or if this new sales paradigm might actually work long term somehow that my simple country brain can't figure out.

People complain but companies like Apple and Nintendo have worked hard to keep their brand value high and discount (or lack thereof) accordingly.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

I think for small studios with low overhead and low development budgets the current environment is fine because of the exposure they get now and the quantity sales they can make. Big budget projects by and large tend to originate in the consoles world and command much higher prices and for much longer with PC ports probably representing added revenue via quantity sales again if the porting costs are reasonable as is probably often the case for anything developed for XBox in particular.

I don't think we see many big budget PC only or PC first games overall with some exceptions but those tend to be either well established franchises or publishers or both who are able to make money even with steep discounts. Obviously one of the ways they do this has become the deliberate slicing up of games even in initial design such that day one DLC exists or is presented in the form of season passes even before something releases. So basically, for roughly similar effort and expense relatively speaking as was invested in the past, they are ultimately milking about the same revenue out of consumers the way games are so frequently sold piecemeal now. An excellent example of this would be the popular Paradox grand strategy titles that quickly drop to very low prices but which are loaded with so much DLC that is very inexpensive to produce they make out just fine. You can wait years to get a complete Paradox title for a reasonable price because of the way they operate. So I think this is a key thing on the higher end. On the lower end is low overhead and massive sales.

Of course, there is also crowdfunding for certain noteworthy (and some not) projects that get their development costs paid up front so they basically can't lose. A publisher won't take them on because of the risk. Crowdfunding takes away the risk from the business and puts it on the consumers who seem to be fine with this arrangement in exchange for some titles that would otherwise not see the light of day.

That's basically where it is at now and probably why no bottom has been hit. I don't know if will be or not with PC gaming. I think console gaming is another world financially that has remained largely insulated from Gaben's antics and what has followed.

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

Really, everyone in the industry just needs to suddenly say "Nope, sales not gonna happen... this is the price for it, and it will drop 15% in 1 year, and each year after". And be done with 'sales' and all that.

People WILL pay the higher prices, if there is no alternative.

Sadly, we have sites that come along like Humble, who just wreck the entire market and crash the economy, all in the name of 'charity'. I consider it NO BETTER THAN PIRACY, to be quite honest.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester