Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:34 AM

https://www.dropbox....al707M.zip?dl=0

screenshot
http://i1381.photobu...zps29xdegdb.jpg

2D turn-based top-down Tactical wargame. its free runs on an intel iMac OSX.

this pic shows gameplay, you have commanders ,MGs, tanks , The A.I. is fantastic

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

Where are these free games coming from? Are you programming them? Are these warez? Are you distributing malware?
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#3 gameleaper

gameleaper

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

I am the Programmer, I use BlitzMax and am known as mainsworthy on blitzbasic.com , the games are free ! truly ! I just want to give the games away , feedback is all I get :)

Umar would you please tell me what Mac it works with, My iMac is quite old now, nd d like to kno if it runs on 64bit ?

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Well, assuming good intentions it would probably be best to simply create one post and link to where games are available and update that single post with various releases rather than so many posts for so many games throughout the forums which I think can easily be seen as spam.

That's not to give you a hard time but I think just as good forums etiquette the above suggestion would go a long way. This isn't really a place  to promote one's own creations so frequently and in so many places. The forums are geared toward discussions as indicated by the various forum titles. As just a very simple case in point, you will note that nobody but yourself is doing the kind of posting all over for their own games here that you are.

I assume your intentions are just fine but again, limiting it to a single thread would be a good thing. That's just a well meant suggestion for you.

Even keeping the above in mind, it probably would have been good to ask a moderator about guidelines for promoting one's own creations on the site beforehand as just in general this is not always welcome on various discussion boards, not meaning just here but in general very often on other sites as well.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

View Postgameleaper, on 02 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I am the Programmer, I use BlitzMax and am known as mainsworthy on blitzbasic.com , the games are free ! truly ! I just want to give the games away , feedback is all I get :)

Umar would you please tell me what Mac it works with, My iMac is quite old now, nd d like to kno if it runs on 64bit ?

Your BASIC development documentation should clearly tell you what targets it supports and how to build for them. I cannot understand why you would need anyone to verify whether it runs in a 64 bit operating system. What iMac are you using and with what version of OS X?

If you are going to release and promote games to people using Mac computers you need to at the minimum be able to test your own software at least on the current version of the operating system. Otherwise, I think you need to wait on releasing anything until you can at least do that much.

I would also recommend the following having examined one of the titles you made:

You need to provide an installer

You need to provide a manual of some kind that fully explains how the game is played, what each element of the UI is for and what it does and all other relevant particulars for a game. The user should not have to try to figure this out on their own. Multiple Readme.txt files that deal with bits and pieces are not nearly enough. A single cohesive document is needed with a readme.txt file more often addressing last minute special considerations related to installation, known issues, etc.

Take it from someone who worked in professional development for a living, hobbyist projects are fun to make but they are not useful to anyone else without going the distance to provide the things i mention here. People won't bother to play if you make them work for it. There's a million other games that don't require this kind of effort you are competing with for people's attention. Rather than make a huge number of games I would recommend focusing on one and putting a lot of time and effort into making that one game something special. It's fine to code up all sorts of prototypes for projects of interest. It's good programming experience for you with the language and tools you are using. However, I cannot stress enough that attention to detail and polish are exceedingly important if you want the average gamer to care about whatever you release.

#6 gameleaper

gameleaper

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

DirtyHarry50 I take your suggestions as good advice thankyou ,I just saw the games topic Headers and posted in what looked like suited each game I had, Im sorry if I posted to many games for free threads and I hope it dosnt put anybody off trying them. I have a 32bit 2GB iMac with  32bit OS I think, Im new to using Macs, and BlitzBasic compiles for intel iMacs, on windows my programs workon 32bit and 64bit so I just wondered if its the same on Macs, If I had the budget of a software company I could test on all OS versions and have a website for download , BUT that would cost the user Money as I would have to charge for the games .

Also My games are not for the average gamer, tthey are turn-based war-games, you wont find to many of these sorts of games,and less for free

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

View Postgameleaper, on 02 September 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

DirtyHarry50 I take your suggestions as good advice thankyou ,I just saw the games topic Headers and posted in what looked like suited each game I had, Im sorry if I posted to many games for free threads and I hope it dosnt put anybody off trying them. I have a 32bit 2GB iMac with  32bit OS I think, Im new to using Macs, and BlitzBasic compiles for intel iMacs, on windows my programs workon 32bit and 64bit so I just wondered if its the same on Macs, If I had the budget of a software company I could test on all OS versions and have a website for download , BUT that would cost the user Money as I would have to charge for the games .

I didn't say anything about you needing to own and operate your very own fully stocked QA lab. However, I maintain that if you want to release games to Mac users, you need to be operating on a current Mac capable of running the most recent version of the operating system as this is what the majority of users are going to be running along with the previous few versions in far lesser numbers.

I think it is fair also that you need to learn more about the Mac environment. Currently you do not seem to know how to find out what version of the operating system you are using. Considering how basic a task that is how can you possibly provide an ounce of support to anyone playing any of the games you release? I think again that you need to consider these things to be taken seriously if you wish to be.

I mean well in telling you this stuff because it seems to me that you aren't really thinking in these terms but I know it would be very helpful to you and anyone trying a game you create if you were to do so. Even simple tools and utilities I would create for the development group, even automated test code, I always included the things I am encouraging you to include. I can promise you that if you make people work for stuff that almost universally they will blow it off in favor of doing something else.

If you are going to put time and effort into doing something it is always worthwhile to go the extra miles necessary to do it well and do it right. Why not endeavor to be the very best you can be in doing this, you know? That is what I am encouraging you to do.

I went and visited the BlitzBasic site to learn a bit about it. It looks like a fun way to get started programming games. What tools like that don't really teach though is everything else that goes into developing software that I just scratched the surface of beneath which there is one whole huge iceberg more to learn about. That can be the fun of it though. I'd encourage you to look into some books about software development in general which you could get a lot out of I think. There are so very many topics to learn about but you could begin by just checking into stuff of particular interest to you. I would just caution you to avoid the likes of, "Be a game programmer in 21 days!" etc. Maybe one book like that just for openers but no more than one.

By the way, there should be an About This Mac choice or similar in the Apple menu to tell you about your Mac hardware and operating system version. At least, this has been true in my experience since the Lion release and I think many years before that with a PowerPC Performa system I owned that I think ran System 7. So look for that option to find out more.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 02 September 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

I went and visited the BlitzBasic site to learn a bit about it. It looks like a fun way to get started programming games. What tools like that don't really teach though is everything else that goes into developing software that I just scratched the surface of beneath which there is one whole huge iceberg more to learn about. That can be the fun of it though. I'd encourage you to look into some books about software development in general which you could get a lot out of I think. There are so very many topics to learn about but you could begin by just checking into stuff of particular interest to you. I would just caution you to avoid the likes of, "Be a game programmer in 21 days!" etc. Maybe one book like that just for openers but no more than one.
Oooh, don't discount BlitzMax as simple game creator tool for beginners. Despite its BASIC ancestry, it's a sophisticated, modern and powerful programming language. BlitzMax has been used for quite a couple of commercial products, e.g. the Eschalon games. Since its lone developer has moved on to a follow-up project, it unfortunately suffers from a lack of new features, which includes 64 bit support.

View Postgameleaper, on 02 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

So, to answer that question: yes, the game still runs on a 64 bit Mac. So far, OS X still supports 32 bit binaries, but it's not impossible that this will change in the next few of years.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

That's interesting about the Eschalon games being developed with BlitzMax. It did look pretty cool but admittedly I only poked around briefly so I stand corrected about it's capability. My first impression of it was that it was somewhat similar to an RPGMAKER kind of tool utilizing a variant of BASIC but i didn't spend a lot of time on it where I have no interest in games development myself.