Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

Help me out.

I'm always coming across times I wish I had a printer, but then everytime I think about it, I'm like "well, everytime I go to print something, I have to race out to buy ink because it all dried up". I ended up spending $40 to print something every couple months. So I tossed the piece of popsnizzle cannon inkjet into the trash and started putting a pdf on a usb stick and going to the staples to have them print it for less than a buck.

Sadly I'm sick of doing that, and lately many documents I need to print are highly confidential (no idea what those pimply faced teen losers do with my files after they print them!), and my printing needs seem to be increasing lately with more and more need to make physical mail, or fliers or printouts, and tax forms and stuff.

So..... I'm thinking, maybe printers are better now, and the ink you put in them lasts until it actually runs out, and not just dry up because you didnt print anything last month.

Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to spend a ton of money on a printer.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Our old Canon printer and the printer before it kept drying up.  We got a new wireless (Canon MG6220) printer scanner a couple years ago and it's jets have yet to dry up even though we rarely use the printer.  So I recommend this model.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

Are laser printers lower cost these days? I know their ink never dries out, as ... well... it IS dry to start with ;) Toner is just a dust that is melted into place by the laser heat.

I dont really need color, as I never print photos. And color in documents is frill, so its not really a priority. Would be nice, but if stuff dries up too fast, then its counter useful.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

I bought a BW brother for the shop and a Color Brother for home. Newegg runs sales on them periodically. I wouldn't buy an inkjet anymore, with as little as I print I'd be buying cartridges per print lol.

I have the HL-3170CDW at home (which supports AirPrint though there is a caveat) and the HL-2280DW at the shop. The HL-2280DW is impressive because I think it is the only laser printer in it's price range that has a separate drum consumable (thus toner is cheaper).

I bought the 2280 for 109.99 at newegg on sale in 2012 and the 3170 for 169 on sale at newegg in 2013. I've never bought toner for the 3170 but we go through a cart maybe every 8 months at the shop but we print a LOT of hero lab sheets and popsnizzle down there.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, I was just now looking at the 'Brother HL-L2300D' on amazon. I cant believe laser printers can be had for just $50 these days. And for all the stuff I HAVE printed over the last few years, none of it was in color, or even needed to be in color. So, I may just go with this. At a yield of 1200 pages, that will last me for the next 10 years easy =p

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

I'm pro Brother. Brother.

They also seem to have above average Mac Driver support (not that the bar is very high when it comes to printer drivers)
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hahaha. My mother got so angry with her HP, that I do believe its shot and buried in some quarry nearby.

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

1. Spend 500$+ on a proper laserprinter.
2. Don't buy a printer, and just spend 10$ each time you need to print 100 pages at your local whateverservice. Seems like this would save you a ton of moneyz and space at the same time. Paper is a dying race anyway!

We tossed out our printer after we didn't use it for 5 years. Maybe we were a bit spoiled that we could always just print at work.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

The hassle of setting up what I think I will need, stick it on a usb stick, get dressed (yeah, lol!), go to the car and drive to the nearest Staples (office max/club/bubbas isnt near). Try to flag down one of their idiot print shop personnel who apparently hate their job so much they can't even muster up a smile let alone shuffle their feet fast enough over to the desk... get them to print the pdf files from the stick, which apparently is something 'new', as everytime I go in, its someone I've never seen before, so I have to explain "well they did it last time..."... then wait for them to figure it out, and print it, only to have printed it on card stock. Then I have to venture a guess what they are going to charge me for these 2 sheets of paper (which is different every single time I go). Then head back home, and hope its all i needed and I dont have to repeat the process over.

Then, do this every time I need something, or 'would be nice if I could just print up a flier to stick on this guys window' or some other ranom thought, like... I wish I could just print off this quick quide to re-installing OSX for this weekend.

It becomes a hassle, a huge hassle, and its really starting to ebb at me. And I think a simple $50 laser printer may solve that, as it comes with enough toner to do an initial 700 prints, which will last me many years from the boot.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Print is dying but you still need to print things here and there, especially with kids. I forgot to mention that both those printers I mentioned have duplexers which is supremely nice, especially in their price range.

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Laser printers are the way to go, and no, you don't need to buy a "proper" one for $500. Even the cheaper ones last forever. The $150 Laserjet 1020 I bought going to college still works fine, so it's about 11 years old now. My parents had a Laserjet 6MP that we had since 1997 (when my dad bought a PowerMac 6500!), (granted it was probably around $500 much back then) and it still worked when they retired it just a year ago.I always buy generic cartridges from Amazon when I run out for $20 or less, no issues.

If you absolutely need color and Kinko's won't cut it, looks like Epson might be shaking things up with these newfangled inkjets with "tanks"instead of overpriced cartridges.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

If you absolutely need color and Kinko's won't cut it, looks like Epson might be shaking things up with these newfangled inkjets with "tanks"instead of overpriced cartridges.

Thats kind of a cool idea really. The engineering... not that I would want one.

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 August 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

I bought a BW brother for the shop and a Color Brother for home.

You realize this sort of thing has been frowned upon here since 1865, yes?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

Heh ... well, geez, put in that light, yeah, it does sound a bit wrong. Usually its the sexual innuendos that get a rise out of people...

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostFrost, on 13 August 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

You realize this sort of thing has been frowned upon here since 1865, yes?

Saz the man from texas. :o

Posted Image

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh Macdude.  You are going to have Sandy Cheeks down on your ass with the Cur-Lee Maneuver!  Everybody please step back for your own safety!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

If you have student-age kids who print regularly then inkjets are very useful. The ink does dry out if it isn't used often enough.

We have an all-in-one-- and the fax machine and scanner/copier were incredibly useful last year. I will say the HP scanning software for Mac was terrible, I don't think I ever got it working. Fortunately I have a lifetime license for VueScan from the 10.1 days when the scanner vendors weren't supporting OS X. They still update the software, and it's often better than what comes with the scanner.

The HP printer is fine- I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting it but HP's tend to use the ink pretty quickly. I picked it because it is ink cartridge-compatible with my son's printer, AND that BJ's Price Warehouse sells. This makes the ink relatively cheap, and I can stock up because one or the other printer will need it before it goes bad.

If you are feeling radical you could check out the new line from Epson. You pay a lot up front, but it comes with the equivalent of 20 refills of ink in it. This instead of the game of making the printer cheap and the cartridges expensive. http://www.wired.com...r-no-cartridge/
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 August 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

Saz the man from texas. :o

Posted Image
Yer jus' mad 'cause yer from Iowa.

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostFrost, on 13 August 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Yer jus' mad 'cause yer from Iowa.

Posted Image

Prolly, it's hot and there's a lot of pot holes. Fills me with rrrrrage. :moreangry:

#20 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 August 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

If you have student-age kids who print regularly then inkjets are very useful
Ink is expensive per page, though. You're buying more ink before the last one even dries up, which is at least a few times a year. I got the whole 4k pages out of the stock toner, over 7 years old, and my new extra-large toner is rated for 8k...

We have an all-in-one-- and the fax machine and scanner/copier were incredibly useful last year
A laser all-in-one would be OK, I guess, but that's where you might have to spend more to get one where one or the other component isn't crap to use.