Dead Island question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnB

JohnB

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

Enjoyin' the heck out of this game, though it is hard....
Having a little technical problem and looking for some help
Got to Port Moresby and the chuch. Can play for about 7 minutes, then it crashes. I have the latest version  (1.3.0)
can't figure it out...up till now it's been okay

thanks for any help

John B

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

On the mac version when I did try to play it I always reached a point and a thug would come and swing at me and the game would crash. I emailed VPLd but nothing ever came of it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, I installed that and fiddled with it briefly since I'd heard performance was terrible. It seems okay here but reading about two instances of crashing above is enough to give me pause before starting. I do not want to get hours into a game and hit a brick wall when I could install it in bootcamp and play it there. I'm glad you guys brought this stuff up. I think I may go that route and avoid headaches.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

If you do play it on windows, you will need what is called "The Dead Island Helper", as it fixes a lot of performance glitchy issues and odd keyboard behaviors while moving and stuff. Without it, I would get like 4fps, but with it, I was able to get full native fps. Something with how the key input works, and their busted up vsync.

Either way, the game was a complete popsnizzle port for both mac and pc. Dead Island 2 was not much better in that respect (although it has a Dead Island 2 Helper, I didn't see much need for it other than fix some screwy UI/control bugs).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 August 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

If you do play it on windows, you will need what is called "The Dead Island Helper", as it fixes a lot of performance glitchy issues and odd keyboard behaviors while moving and stuff. Without it, I would get like 4fps, but with it, I was able to get full native fps. Something with how the key input works, and their busted up vsync.

Either way, the game was a complete popsnizzle port for both mac and pc. Dead Island 2 was not much better in that respect (although it has a Dead Island 2 Helper, I didn't see much need for it other than fix some screwy UI/control bugs).

Should I just skip it then? I have no shortage of stuff to play that ought to run fine from Feral & Aspyr not to mention Windows stuff known to run well. I'm at a point where I have low tolerance for issues given I'm still questioning if I will live long enough to ever play what I own anyway.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

After I went through the hoops with the game, I found it fun and enjoyable to the end. One of the better zombie slashin games. Ok, the 'story' is pathetic, but what zombie game has a good story?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be coming for the story. I'm in it for the carnage all the way.

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:49 AM

I've reinstalled a couple of times hoping for an update that makes it playable... still runs like dirt in some places... but usually like mud. :glare:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB