#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

Ok, so Apple decided to start shipping something called a "AMD FirePro D300", "AMD FirePro D500", and "AMD FirePro D700". But for the love of me, I cannot seem to 'place' them between REAL AMD card names. Effen apple, why can't they just name things like the rest of the industry?

Like, I believe the AMD 7970 is higher than all three of those, but the AMD 7800 is NOT ? Or is it.

I tried finding these apple cards on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ but am having no luck finding their sorting. Does anyone know the appleName = industryName equiv?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

Check Arstechnicas review on the 2013 Mac Pro. They list quite some info.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Check out this article, it will tell you the rough equivalents.

I'm confused, though. These are just the workstation cards that have been in the nMP since 2013. They aren't really worth it for gaming, unless you're rich.

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostCougar, on 05 August 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

hey aren't really worth it for gaming, unless you're rich.
A rich person would have to be stupid to get one of those over a 780ti. Even when they came out they were yesterday's chips at bargain-bin prices (for workstation cards).

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

fMan comes from the world of tomorrow. errrr. the past. errrrr the 5th dimension. Or perhaps he's just jolly on dump liquor.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thing is, thats what is reported from Apple System Profiler for cards they ship in their macs. All those other cards, don't come in Macs (you have to venture out and get and install them yourself).

For the purposes of the MGS sys-reqs checker, we have 'main keypoints' and 'stuff inbetween'. The main keypoints are the cards shipped in macs. So that is what a publisher can choose as what is the minimum. What someone may or may not have (theres literally hundreds of different cards), then falls between those (or on them if the user is using what was shipped in their mac).

So, the question came up then, "I got a AMD 7950, but its not in the unsupported list?" ... well, obviously, as we cannot put EVERY CARD that is unsupported that falls below what a publisher sets ;) And the publisher in this case, set the D300 as the MINIMUM for the game.

Aye. Video cards are hard to systematically judge on. As well, as you ALL know, sometimes a card just works dandy for a game, yet its not supported, so it cant legally be said as such. Plus then there is the "well test every game in every combination of hardware so its super accurate!" ... yeah, do you have a hundred people with thousands of different macs, and time to do so? ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

You'd almost have to find someone at AMD and ask them what the comparison is. You're just not gunna find a lot of people that have hammered these cards with 3dMark or something.

Plus, you've been hitting the dump a lot. :teehee:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

We may just have to open up one of the non-standard cards as the 'top card' to pick below one of them FirePro (you know, for kids!).

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

http://architosh.com...e-have-answers/

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Quick and dirty comparison:

D300 = 7850-7870
D500 = bit slower than a 7950
D700 = between a 7950 and 7970

There's two of them, and in Windows they crossfire without any difficulty

Copying and pasting my info from another thread about this:

Q: Aren't you undervaluing the Mac Pro? Isn't its only drawback price? (from reddit)

Answer:
The Mac Pro is certainly an impressive machine, but I cannot recommend it as a "best Mac computer for gaming" due to it having a massive markup over the iMac for very little performance gain. If you look at the benchmarks the 295X solidly beats the D300's in every benchmark:
  • Geekbench 3: Multi-Core Overall Score - iMac is 14% faster
  • Geekbench 4: Single-Core Overall Score - iMac is 21% faster
  • Left4Dead 2: 1440p, Very High, 4x AA - iMac is 23% faster
  • FurMark: 2560x1440 with no AA - iMac is 5% faster
  • TessMark: 16x 2560x1440 no AA - iMac is 55% faster
This means that the top end iMac is an average of 23.6% faster then the Mac Pro with 3.7 GHz CPU and D300's
I get what you are saying about Vulkan and Metal, but I think given Apple's trackrecord with implementing new/updated graphics API's I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple has always been years behind in OpenGL implementation and I don't see them suddenly making their graphics api a big focus.
Metal will certainly be powerful, but I highly doubt any game will be coded for it. On the Windows side we had Mantle, which could run on every gaming PC with a 7xxx series AMD GPU or newer - which is a lot larger market then the Mac gaming market.

Even Mantle struggled to find support and has now been canceled. It can be argued that Mantle's main purpose was to motivate the more popular API's to have better performance and it did (both DX12 and Vulkan are huge improvements over DX11 and OpenGL). Many of Mantle's main features made it into Vulkan

EDIT: Found some benchmarks of the Mac Pro with 8 Core 3.0 GHz and D700's vs the iMac 5K with 4 GHz CPU and 295X. The Mac Pro with D700's performs 3.3% faster on average across all of the benchmarks. To put that into perspective the Mac Pro with 8 Core 3.0 GHz and D700's costs $6,099 compared to the top end iMac which costs $2800 and comes with a beautiful 27" 5K monitor.
Technically speaking you could get the top end iMac with 4 GHz CPU and M295X and then get an external GPU enclosure with a Titan X (fastest single GPU on the market) and you would still save about $1500 compared to getting the top end Mac Pro and the Titan X would destroy it in gaming.

EDIT 2: I want to point out that I do not think the Mac Pro is a bad computer. I will copy and paste what I said about it in the article: The Mac Pro is a similar to a powerful Clydesdale horse, while a gaming computer is like a race horse. Both types of horses are fast/powerful in their own way, but they have completely different strengths and uses.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hmm. Thanks for all the info! I think I got enough to do what I needed to do.

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

Remember to leave a nickel in the collection box by the door.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat