Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

Ugh.

So, every few months, I look at this PILE of X games sitting in my 'games to play' folder.

X Beyond the Frontier
X Tension
X2 The Threat
X3 Reunion
X3 Terran Conflict
X3 Albion Prelude

I dont have Rebirth, because I saw no point in buying it if I cant seem to play the first SIX GAMES (which all came in some X-Pack purchase for $4).

The thing that keeps putting me off everytime I try to get into them... is the first game, really drags. Sucks so much balls, the tutorital makes me want to slit wrists... then all this 'talk' about managing stations, fleets, factories, and I'm like HELL I JUST WANNA GO FLYING AND DO STUFF ... IN SPACE!

So, I'm thinking I may ditch the story, ditch the idea of playing them in order. And just pick one game to play. But which? Which one is 'the most fun' with 'the least amount of need to run a fraking empire from the seat of your ship' ?

I miss "Freelancer"... that space sim game was da bomb.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 26 July 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

So, I'm thinking I may ditch the story, ditch the idea of playing them in order. And just pick one game to play. But which? Which one is 'the most fun' with 'the least amount of need to run a fraking empire from the seat of your ship' ?
If I recall correctly, from X2 on (definitely X3), you can just choose to skip the story (which is horribly written and presented anyway) and get flying, with several starting options (different ships and locations). Reunion is probably the one I played the most, but Terran Conflict has some nice improvements for the UI and in general. Albion Prelude has some changes in the game world, but is otherwise not wildly different from TC. So, I guess I would either suggest TC or AP.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

TC and AP: those are the two that I saw the most recommendations for when I researched this question a year or two ago. Not that I've played either yet..

I played 10+ hours of X2, really liked it, but by golly everything took a really long time. I never got the hang of trading, possibly because I was trying to explore at the same time, so I'd spend an hour getting from one place to another and then find that I hadn't profited very much for my troubles. And of course the payloads are small early on. Maybe I should have consulted a guide to try and compress the early game a little.

I still hope to try again with TC or AP one day but I suspect I simply don't have enough spare time to do justice to this type of game.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 July 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

TC and AP: those are the two that I saw the most recommendations for when I researched this question a year or two ago. Not that I've played either yet..

I played 10+ hours of X2, really liked it, but by golly everything took a really long time. I never got the hang of trading, possibly because I was trying to explore at the same time, so I'd spend an hour getting from one place to another and then find that I hadn't profited very much for my troubles. And of course the payloads are small early on. Maybe I should have consulted a guide to try and compress the early game a little.

I still hope to try again with TC or AP one day but I suspect I simply don't have enough spare time to do justice to this type of game.

Same two games, same lack of time. Well, in honesty I think it may be more a lack of ambition than time. I know climbing a learning curve can really pay off with a fun game experience but I haven't felt much like climbing lately.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can play Terran Conflict as a Terran, who would be totally new to all this popsnizzle anyway and wouldn't be familiar with the original story. If I ever pick it up, I think I will go that route, and then if I'm absolutely in love, go back and play earlier titles.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.