89 replies to this topic

#81 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

I'll admit I have fond memories of gaming on my old upgraded Sawtooth G4 but in reality most of the PowerPC and even OS 9 games I used to play on that broke with later OS releases - either then or maybe later on my G5 that followed it.

By the time Rosetta was removed in Lion it didn't really matter for games.

I can actually play most of those games today thanks to rereleases via GOG and/or Wineskin/Crossover.

Then of course there is the fact that my Mac Pro although not silent even stuffed with disks and upgrades is certainly way less noisy, I remember the G5 fans on a hot summers day were really annoying - headache inducing.

Guess what I'm saying is the good old days aren't always what you think, not to say everything is perfect, heck Apple still haven't made something I've wanted to upgrade to and are unlikely to do so...

In terms of the OS though even having to use Lion on a few machines occasionally that can't go past that seems frustrating to me these days and I'm impressed with El Capitan so far - more than I expected for a minor "polish" release.

In fact the Time Machine problem I mentioned above is the only real issue I've seen to date (with Wineskin now updated) and it appears that I might be able to stop troubleshooting that as some folks report this will be fixed in 10.11.1.

As a regular early adopter I've certainly had to work around larger issues for a few point releases in the past.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#82 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

I wish I had kept my old Performa 6300. That was my first Mac and I loved the thing. I can't remember whatever became of it sadly. Now that I think of it I can't remember what happened to any of my old computers except for the PC I gave to my nephew when I got my iMac a few years ago. Hmm.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#83 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:17 PM

Interestingly enough, I recently was handed a Powerbook G3 laptop with accessories. It works perfectly, which is to say it's heavy and noisy, with black corporate plastic shell, single-button non-force sensitive trackpad. The computer takes minutes to boot up. The Apple logo on the cover is upside down whenever the cover is open.

But I love it and shall never part with it! It is a stand-in for all the old Macs that I have parted ways with over the years. It's got a floppy drive, and a CD drive that can be removed in favor of a 2nd battery. The Apple logo is rainbow colored, as God intended.

Most importantly, it runs my old PPC shareware games that otherwise are lost to time.

I agree with mattw in general: running old machines is actually pretty painful, even though there are old games I miss. Even some of those are painful by modern standards, even though they were the bees knees back in the day.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#84 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

After a clean install of El Capitan I actually find myself surprised of how snappy some things are all of the sudden... A lot of my old nemesiseses... nemiseses.... annoyances of slowdowns are gone even if I can't really put my finger on where they were...
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#85 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

It's about time I bit the bullet and did a clean install of my OS, this current incarnation has been upgraded for the last decade.  It's just a hassle to get all my bloatware installed back, which I won't I suppose.  If I haven't used it by now a lot then I really don't need it.  Probably get a lot of SSD room back in the deal.

It was mentioned early on in the thread about the big security holes in El Capitan.  I take it that this problem has been resolved by the number of people jumping on the bandwagon, but has it?  I missed that announcement.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#86 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 October 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

It was mentioned early on in the thread about the big security holes in El Capitan.  I take it that this problem has been resolved by the number of people jumping on the bandwagon, but has it?  I missed that announcement.

They aren't El Cap specific. The holes have been around for a while, and they require you to be dumb enough to run a malicious app.

#87 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:34 PM

They're not even holes. GateKeeper works as designed. It's not an antivirus. I can write a signed app that trashes all your personal data, submit it to the app store, have it approved (by using some straightforward subterfuge), and Gate Keeper will not do anything about it before it's too late.

Of course, I would have my apple ID revoked and face trouble, but that's another issue.
Gate keeper does not test any app for good behavior, it just checks if it's signed.

#88 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

K.  Gotcha.  Thanks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#89 LadyZarjah

LadyZarjah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Since I'm a noob I'm not sure this goes in this thread but wth...

I have a question:
After installing El Capitan on my MBP I've had an issue where a process called nsurlsessiond chewed up about 10GB of my mobile data in under a couple of hours (I tether the MBP to my iPhone). It got really expensive really fast.... I know it has to do with iCloud sync. Do any of you know any way to stop iCloud syncing without having to override it in the terminal? I kinda wanna keep the access to iCloud since that's where I keep my stuff due to multiple computers. Any suggestions?
Ran out cake years go... never stopped trying.

#90 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostLadyZarjah, on 14 October 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Since I'm a noob I'm not sure this goes in this thread but wth...

I have a question:
After installing El Capitan on my MBP I've had an issue where a process called nsurlsessiond chewed up about 10GB of my mobile data in under a couple of hours (I tether the MBP to my iPhone). It got really expensive really fast.... I know it has to do with iCloud sync. Do any of you know any way to stop iCloud syncing without having to override it in the terminal? I kinda wanna keep the access to iCloud since that's where I keep my stuff due to multiple computers. Any suggestions?
You can fine-tune what gets synced via iCloud in the System Preferences. Maybe there are services that you don't need. If you are using the iCloud Photo Library, you can also pause the syncing in the Photos app.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"