Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

I think it's best if you install El Capitan normally first, just so the recovery partition is up to snuff and you don't get to install your previous OS instead, but yeah it connects to the App Store and downloads the OS fresh.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#42 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

Oh, okay. That's a good idea. I'll do that.

The fun starts tomorrow!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#43 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

http://blog.gameagen...-11-el-capitan/

a new bug prevents OS X 10.11 users from successfully sending game invites; they just kind of get lost in the ether.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. But seriously MAS gimped games should come 75% off all the time.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#44 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm pretty sure there's just one guy at Apple who works on Game Center, and even he's forgotten it exists.

#45 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

What's Game Center? Is that something to play with other people? I don't do that.

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 29 September 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

What's Game Center? Is that something to play with other people? I don't do that.
It's Apple's multiplayer/social gaming/achievement thingy.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

El Capitan is downloading now! I shall return, maybe even today!

:) :luck:

I just agreed to the OS X El Capitan license agreement. I wonder what it said?

Stay tuned for more exciting developments!

#48 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 30 September 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

<snip>

I just agreed to the OS X El Capitan license agreement. I wonder what it said?

Stay tuned for more exciting developments!
It said, "Send Tibur all your money." Thanks for clicking "I accept"! The wife and kids will be pleased I won't have to cut their weekly caviar ration.  Or maybe not.  Pretty nasty stuff in my opinion, but I'm not much for fish as it is.

#49 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

Apple Leaves Two Obvious Security Weaknesses In Mac OS X El Capitan

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

::Dirty Harry's passwords all spill out on the forum floor like poo from a loose diaper::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 September 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

::Dirty Harry's passwords all spill out on the forum floor like poo from a loose diaper::

::Covering Frigidman's, which have already been there for years::

#52 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#53 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 30 September 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yes, this is kind of troubling. Mainly because that sort of exploit has actually existed for the life of Gatekeeper, and if this gains more traction, apple will finally plug up that exploit.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#54 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

I meant to return last night with good news about how well the upgrade install went, etc. and then my ISP went down for the entire evening! On a bright note, Steam offline mode worked fine and I introduced myself to Spellforce Platinum Edition since that oldie has no achievements for me to miss, not that I try for them but I like to at least get some along the way as I play.

I tested out all my everyday apps and everything works just fine. I have noticed some performance improvements, particularly so far in Finder. Previous to this upgrade entering the Applications folder would result in a delay before it drew the icons. Now it is near instant. That one is a very noticeable improvement. It's hard to tell if it is just in my head or not but overall the system seems more responsive to me than with Yosemite. My bootcamp install was fine not the it should be impacted but I always worry about that with an OS upgrade. Once again, Parallels 8 that supposedly doesn't work as of Yosemite but did also seems to work in El Capitan booting into an XP VM. I am due for an upgrade there by now anyway but I'm planning to try VMware this time instead.

I didn't bother checking new features yet. Notes might be more useful now but I doubt it would replace Growly Notes for me which means I probably will still just pop notes into it such as my food shopping list or whatever that I want available on my iPhone when out and about. The plug-ins feature for Photos seems promising. I bookmarked an article with suggestions of good ones I found on Computerworld to read up on later. My needs are pretty simple there so Photos enhanced that way will probably be all I ever need. It's nice I can pick and choose how to enhance it that way.

With a 27" screen I don't care about the split screen views feature. I don't even know how to activate it. I have plenty of room and slide stuff around as needed.

The new beachball looks cool. Of course, I would never see it on my system but I saw a pic of it on the internet. :whistling:

I tested Dragon Age to see how a Cider app would fare and it ran just fine fortunately. I wish I could say the same for games setup with Wineskin but it was seriously broken by the upgrade. The author is aware and working on it. Interestingly of the two games I tried using Wineskin/Wine one worked and one did not. Others are reporting it breaks everything but I have seen at least one work. I decided I don't care about this. If they fix it, great. If not, virtual machine time or bootcamp. I'm not going to worry about it. Wine is great when it works but not a necessity by any means, at least not for me personally. I tried a lot of different apps and that was the only problem I ran into which is pretty damned good for a day one install of a 1.0 operating system upgrade on top of an existing install.

The install time was about 45 minutes total which wasn't bad at all. It's running so well I am not going to bother with my previous plan of doing a clean install. I see no need. It would just be a waste of time when zero is wrong with it now.

While I am impressed by what a smooth upgrade this was it really does feel underwhelming to me. The little tweaks are certainly welcome but with no major changes it feels like a point release more than a full blown upgrade. I am hoping my view changes substantially the first time I play a game that takes advantage of the Metal API.

Anyway, that's my take thus far.

Oh, I forgot one thing. I had trouble at first getting my Logitech Performance Mouse MX to pair with the Universal USB wireless plug that will support multiple Logitech devices using just one port. To make a long story short, I had to remove all USB devices and then it paired even though the software lied to me and threw an error saying it didn't. The mouse works just fine now after plugging everything back in and rebooting to Windows and back. etc.

#55 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 October 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

While I am impressed by what a smooth upgrade this was it really does feel underwhelming to me. The little tweaks are certainly welcome but with no major changes

Well, there are--they are just all under the hood. (Go read Ars' huge review.) This is a good thing, IMO, especially with Apple's aggressive yearly release cycle.

#56 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

"Apple's aggressive yearly cycle", is why I am more and more growing to dislike Apple.

Constantly dealing with unwanted changes, to get wanted changes, then having to deal with apps suddenly not working from OSX to OSX and waiting or hoping a dev will get around to fixing whatever apple changed so their apps work again, but then having to jump ship and change all the way you work and manage using some other set of software, only to have to rinse and repeat everything next year when apple comes out with yet another new OSX that does all the same popsnizzle again.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#57 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 October 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

"Apple's aggressive yearly cycle", is why I am more and more growing to dislike Apple.

You dislike it! Try supporting that pace in a hospital........I mean it takes 5 weeks to get a name plate changed around here. You know how hard it is to get any 5 stakeholders in a room to approve change xyz at any given time! Mostly I piece together what I hope they will all agree on from sugar packets and bubblegum, throw the switch, and hope nobody in a position of power complains.

#58 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostCougar, on 01 October 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Well, there are--they are just all under the hood. (Go read Ars' huge review.) This is a good thing, IMO, especially with Apple's aggressive yearly release cycle.

Well, this upgrade delivers on what was promised and I am glad to have it. It just doesn't bring a lot to the table that one would notice in everyday use, at least in my own case. That's why I said that.

#59 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Still early days but 10.11 definitely seems to have given a nice performance boost on my upgrade 09 Mac Pro and I was pretty happy before....

I did get a scary hang on the black screen with progress bar before the login window after I shutdown and restarted shortly after a successful login straight after install. I was expecting a major troubleshooting session then but it booted fine after a force shutdown. All I could see in the console was spotlight mdworker stuff so it may have been because that didn't finish. I seem to recall getting a hard freeze early with 10.10 that was spotlight related os I would make sure it has finished guys.

They have fixed some of the bugs I had been living with e.g video playback issues with iTunes in a window whilst browsing in Safari (when loading pages it would freeze/ drop frames for seconds at a time and just the audio play despite no CPU load).

I still have an issue with my internal 6TB HGST NAS drive not mounting on restarts (only cold boots) so have still got to save up for another model of disk for my Time Machine backups (it seems unique to this specific model from what others have found).

With the new SIP protected kernel I expected EyeTV to possibly break as the kexts show as unsigned but that seems OK so far and also expected the unsigned Logitech ForceFeedback kext for my steering wheel to be removed. In reality the kext stayed in place and appears to be in a whitelist, bad news is it doesn't seem to work :(

I really need to try and fix this without resorting to turning SIP off (not tested yet) as it is a massive step back for driving games without it and no-one offers an alternative I can buy, kind of need to get the Time Machine disk swapped first so rebooting isn't such a pain if I need to experiment.

Apogee no longer support my FireWire Duet audio interface but reports suggest it still works (will test soon) but at least there are alternatives for this to go forward.

Wineskin not working at release is a shame but Crossover has been updated and works so I'm confident a fix will soon be found (again without SIP being disabled) and I have enough native titles to keep me busy for sometime.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#60 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

Updated from Mavericks. With the latest nVidia web drivers, Tomb Raider has gained a huge boost. Probably 50% faster than before, which confirms the finding of Barefeats. This is not specific to 10.11 though, but to the drivers (which are not available for 10.9).