Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 14 August 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'm even older than Frost and have twice as many boils. Get off my lawn.

IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#22 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

As long as I get some performance boost with this old rig and World of Tanks, I'll be happy.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#23 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 14 August 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

As long as I get some performance boost with this old rig and World of Tanks, I'll be happy.

World of Warships. So gud.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#24 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostCougar, on 14 August 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Geez, guys, Yosemite is not bad. At all. And now that they put discoveryd back in, the wireless issues (which I did not have) are fixed. They just released the 5th patch. It's safe. There were far worse bugs in the good ol' Snow Leopard days of the OS.

Now if you want to bitch about iOS 8 on the 6 Plus with me, I'll be over here...

My main beef with it was no TRIM on third party SSDs, AND they went and blocked the workaround and let you turn it on, which was total and complete bullpopsnizzle. That, however, is fixed now so...
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#25 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 14 August 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

There may be some bugs in 10.6.8, but overall its still a better OSX than all successors ;)

Sure, it's better! Except for its huge, ugly scrollbars, no Notification Center, worse graphical performance, worse battery life, worse memory management, no third party trim support, no iCloud support, no tabs in the finder, no native autosave and versioning support, no iMessage support, worse multiple displays support...

I'll give you one concession: SL Safari had the one and only highly useful usage of coverflow in web history. Why did they axe that but keep it in the finder??

#26 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostCougar, on 15 August 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

Sure, it's better! Except for its huge, ugly scrollbars, no Notification Center, worse graphical performance, worse battery life, worse memory management, no third party trim support, no iCloud support, no tabs in the finder, no native autosave and versioning support, no iMessage support, worse multiple displays support...

You pretty much just described why I hate all the other OSX ......... <___<

Hehe, or described things I could care less about as they do not pertain to me ;)

You're old VW doesnt have an onboard computer!

So.

At least I can fix the car on the road when something goes wrong!

Sorry... what was this thread about again?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#27 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 August 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

You pretty much just described why I hate all the other OSX ......... <___<

Hehe, or described things I could care less about as they do not pertain to me ;)

Better memory management and better graphics drivers  doesn't pertain to you? I thought you played games! :P

Better bad car analogy: I don't want any of those new safety features because I couldn't care less about its rearview camera.

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostCougar, on 15 August 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Better memory management and better graphics drivers  doesn't pertain to you? I thought you played games! :P

Better bad car analogy: I don't want any of those new safety features because I couldn't care less about its rearview camera.

Actually, no I dont do games on my laptop (which runs 10.6.8).

As for the car, safety features are for wimps! Give me rusty edges and sharp corners any day! Why, when I grew up, I was put in a stroller made of iron rebar and rivots!

Rearview camera? Aint you got a neck??

;) hehehe.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Actually, no I dont do games on my laptop (which runs 10.6.8).

As for the car, safety features are for wimps! Give me rusty edges and sharp corners any day! Why, when I grew up, I was put in a stroller made of iron rebar and rivots!

Rearview camera? Aint you got a neck??

;) hehehe.

That reminds me of my '66 Chevelle with fenders so rusted out no amount of Bondo could save them, not that I didn't slap it on there anyway and spray paint it with a color close enough for the girls I went out with. The automotive dream come true was powered by the eight cylinder 283 engine, infamous for burning more oil than gas. This car also started up just fine every time in New England winters with a SEARS Die-Hard 36 month battery that was this really cool bright green color and had fallen into the radiator fan one day because the brackets and metal base it sat on rusted out. The fan cut a big notch in one upper corner but not too far down so I just applied a bunch of duct tape and jury-rigged a new base, etc. for it to hang onto and off we went for more adventures! Last but not least, the puff also featured a suspension that squeaked so loudly that my friends knew it was me coming down the road to town pond to party at night well before they could see my car round the bend to the parking area we'd gather at. Good times!

Oh! I almost forgot. The bench seat was badly worn too so I took it out and replaced with light blue bucket seats from an old Corvair that fit in there "good enough" when bolted to the floor. Man, I loved that car so much. I really did. It had so much personality. They don't make them like that anymore.

Just one more memory about that car: I used to take my high school sweetheart parking in it and we'd park at this place up in some woods near a railroad bridge. We'd get high and listen to old fashioned radio show programs, dramas like before television existed not that I'm that old or the car was either for that matter but they still aired them at night on AM radio at the time. Maybe they still do on some stations for all I know. That was such a good time. She was awesome.

Sorry, not even one word of that was OS X related, well except maybe the Bondo part. ;-)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 August 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

Sorry, not even one word of that was OS X related, well except maybe the Bondo part. ;-)

I will accept this argument.  Case dismissed.  Bailiff is instructed to remove his leg irons.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

the Battle Cat said:

1439685832[/url]' post='435915']
I will accept this argument.  Case dismissed.  Bailiff is instructed to remove his leg irons.

I can't remove any body parts with them?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#32 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hey! I need my body parts! Bondo there too so be careful please!

#33 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

So... how about that new version of OS X coming up? I heard both OS X and iOS are going to be just be a blank screen and all input with be via Siri who will tell you what is happening since you won't be able to see anything. This will make Macs and iOS devices much less distracting since there will be no need to look at them. It will also allow for a new much smaller form factor Mac redesign that is whisper quiet even when running demanding applications such as text adventures. All Macs will be portable going forward with excellent battery life now that powering a screen display is no longer necessary.

I imagine both Feral and Aspyr are hoping to land the rights to the lucrative Infocom series of games so they can port them to Siri OS. Oops, so much for NDA...

If you want to see anything, you are gonna need to buy a new AppleTV but eventually that will be an implant so you can just think you see stuff rather than actually being confined to the living room looking at a screen to do so. There will be a subscription cost to think though. Don't forget to renew or you'll be screwed!

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

I heard that if you print the receipt Siri gives you for buying, say a case of Tree Frog beer online, it looks like brownian motion in boiling grease.  I hope it's bacon grease.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 August 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I heard that if you print the receipt Siri gives you for buying, say a case of Tree Frog beer online, it looks like brownian motion in boiling grease.  I hope it's bacon grease.

There's a visual distraction I could do without.

#36 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostCougar, on 15 August 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Better memory management and better graphics drivers  doesn't pertain to you?

Yosemite sucks for both of my computers with gaming. Mavericks was tons better, performance in almost all games is worse now.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#37 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:02 AM

Dunno about BL2 but BL:PS did seem noticeably smoother, as does RAGE.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#38 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

I am thinking I might dive in with the 1.0 release because well, I just never learn. Haha!

When I got my 2011 iMac it had Lion. I upgraded to Mountain Lion on top of that. Then I upgraded to Mavericks on top of that I think. When I got my new 2013 iMac I think it had Mavericks and I restored everything from Time Machine to it completely. When Yosemite came out, I installed that on top of it.

I am thinking this time I ought to do a clean install, not that I know how to. I suppose it will be presented as an option hopefully. I've installed so much crap over the past few years it would be nice to start fresh. I am thinking this time I should selectively restore stuff from Time Machine rather than just let it dump everything, whatever that actually amounts to. I only want my data, media stuff and selected apps/games. I don't want any stuff that got installed into the system dumped into a fresh install.

Any of you pros have some tips for me to get this install right on the first try hopefully?

#39 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 26 September 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

I am thinking this time I ought to do a clean install, not that I know how to.

Start the computer holding down cmd-R to enter recovery mode, from there you can format the HD and initiate a new install of the OS.

Also, I never lear either, running 10.11.1 beta already ;) I like it.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#40 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 27 September 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Start the computer holding down cmd-R to enter recovery mode, from there you can format the HD and initiate a new install of the OS.

Also, I never lear either, running 10.11.1 beta already ;) I like it.

Thanks very much. I'll do it that way then and selectively restore various stuff from Time Machine once it is all done and setup, etc.

That will allow me to access El Capitan from the App Store when I do that? I guess it must where you just said that is how to go about it.