Jump to content


Tomb Raider: GOTY

tomb raider lara croft action adventure puzzle feral interactive

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Location:NYC

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

I searched for a thread for Feral's port of Square-Enix's Tomb Raider so I could post about it being on sale and found none. Based on gameplay I chose Action & Shooters for the thread.

At 75% off as of this writing it's selling for $7.49 at Green Man Gaming which gives a Steam code I believe. I've yet to purchase anything from GMG myself due to lack of interest or already owning it so I can't give feedback there.

Winning Mac App Store Game of The Year 2014 this reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise is the first Tomb Raider I've enjoyed since...

Okay, I never really got into any Tomb Raider I tried! I was stoked to see Tomb Raider 2 announced at MacWorld—err, what, '98!? Pffft! You're old! But the mechanics, graphics, et cetera–wait, was there a storyline?–never really appealed to me... and so joined its disc with my pre-Steam-games-never-to-be-finished graveyard.

Enter the reboot.

You want graphics!? Check! You want a storyline that isn't [relatively] nauseating!? Check! You want good game mechanics with mouse & keyboard or gamepad? Check! I think it's only on sale for 48 hours so... buy it? ...or do whatever you want? Okay, do whatever you want.

Still on the fence? I don't make commission so search for reviews! Peace.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 Cougar

Cougar

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

GMG is fine. Good way to get cheap Steam keys with their 20% off coupons that usually stack.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I hated Tomb Raider. The story was one of the worst I've suffered through and the gameplay was horribly repetitive, just shooting an endless sea of stupid goons while Lara groans. Don't understand why people love it so much.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:22 AM

Because reasons

View PostCougar, on 22 July 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

Lara groans

:ph34r:
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

I enjoyed it. I dont think I have actually ever payed attention to any Tomb Raider story though... so... I guess that helped make me like it. I don't bother with the MP stuff, or really aim to re-play it anytime soon. However for what very little I paid for it, I got my pound of fun out of it.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

I got it for free with my old Radeon 6870 GPU (came with Deus Ex:HR and Tomb Raider - pretty good bundle for a $180 card). It took me about 20 hours to beat, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the better single player games I've played recently.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

    Master Blaster

  • IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Location:Holland, PA; US
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

I liked it myself. The final level/battle wasn't great, IMHO. But I liked most of it up until then (except for the action sequence where you have to hit the right keys.) There's some good writing in there. The main villain is a two-dimensional fanatic for the most part, but he had a good speech in the middle where you could actually see his point of view.

Ah well, it would be boring if we all liked exactly the same games.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 Nickburger

Nickburger

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Steam Name:Nickburger
  • Location:NYC

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostCougar, on 22 July 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

GMG is fine. Good way to get cheap Steam keys with their 20% off coupons that usually stack.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I hated Tomb Raider. The story was one of the worst I've suffered through and the gameplay was horribly repetitive, just shooting an endless sea of stupid goons while Lara groans. Don't understand why people love it so much.

You are not alone.

I bought it for the parkour and exploring but half way through the veil was lifted from my eyes and I realized I had just been suckered into a rethemed Assassins' Creed fetch-fest. Once I realized that all those meaningless rewards and unlocks are basically just human scaled lab-rat-dopamine experiments, my taste for the whole genre soured pretty quickly.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

I downloaded a demo of Tomb Raider, forget which one.  It was all a bunch of jumping puzzles to even get out of the first room and I hate jumping puzzles , and they highly recommend that I use my head and find another way besides shooting... I mean I no shooting?  I can't even enter a pie eating contest without shooting something.  Never tried again.  Hell I don't even like big honkin' boobs on a girl.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Cougar

Cougar

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostNickburger, on 22 July 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:



You are not alone.

I bought it for the parkour and exploring but half way through the veil was lifted from my eyes and I realized I had just been suckered into a rethemed Assassins' Creed fetch-fest. Once I realized that all those meaningless rewards and unlocks are basically just human scaled lab-rat-dopamine experiments, my taste for the whole genre soured pretty quickly.

Collectibles don't usually bother me because I can just ignore them. They are only an annoyance if they don't belong in the world and they break immersion.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 July 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I downloaded a demo of Tomb Raider, forget which one.  It was all a bunch of jumping puzzles to even get out of the first room and I hate jumping puzzles , and they highly recommend that I use my head and find another way besides shooting... I mean I no shooting?  I can't even enter a pie eating contest without shooting something.  Never tried again.  Hell I don't even like big honkin' boobs on a girl.

You might like the new one. Normal boobs, lots of shooting. The only platforming puzzles are in the tomb raiding sections, which make up a surprisingly small part of the game. Too bad for me, they were my favorite part.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tomb, raider, lara, croft, action, adventure, puzzle, feral, interactive