15 replies to this topic

#1 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

So, I am trying to get a consensus on the best overall value of a RPG that is closes to Baldurs Gate or Dungeons & Dragons.
I am looking for choosing multiple character types (elves, dwarves, etc), classes, spells, etc.
I don't want the game to have much of a dialog or set missions. I want things random.
Multiple shops that will supply different kinds of weapons, and goodies and the ability to get/create magic items.
Your thoughts.
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#2 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

Ok, let's start from the basics - do you want a party-based game (like BG), or a single protagonist? (such as Diablo or a rogue-like). MMO or non-MMO?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

Baulders Gate style. I have been looking at Pillars of Eternity.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin should most likely be at the top of your list for recent games.

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

What Hansi said, plus the Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale if you haven't played the original yet. You won't regret it.

NWN is a good suggestion too - plenty of user-created content for that to keep you busy, although it's highly variable in quality. You'll need to get a wrapped version of PC NWN, since the Mac version needs Rosetta/PowerPC to work.

I also enjoy Jeff Vogel's Avernum games. They've been repeatedly spruced-up and rereleased over the years. The presentation is somewhat basic, but you can easily sink 60-100 hours into them.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

Since you like D&D and reference Baldur's Gate my first suggestion would be all three of the updated Infinity engine games (BG, BG2, IWD) unless you've play these all and want something new. It's worthy of note that an expansion to Baldur's Gate Enhanced is being released soon that promises a fair number of hours (roughly 30 I think?) of new content to have fun with in that same world and if I recall correctly a new class choice (shaman) as well. So there's that.

For the games suggested above which are all noted to be quite good and are for the most in keeping with what you said you are after I would highly recommend just googling for reviews of them not because the reviews are of much worth but because they will hopefully comment on how story heavy each game is. You mentioned you weren't interested in a lot of that so you'd want to check that out. People here may be able to comment further and speak to that for the suggested newer games, none of which I've played yet personally so I couldn't tell you.

Good luck finding suitable adventures worthy of your time.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

View Postnick68k, on 20 July 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

I also enjoy Jeff Vogel's Avernum games. They've been repeatedly spruced-up and rereleased over the years. The presentation is somewhat basic, but you can easily sink 60-100 hours into them.

Classic old school RPG.  My favorites of the batch are Avernum IV and Nethergate: Resurrection.  Look for slings early on as they will be your ranged weapons and they are needed for early survival to soften up the enemy before they reach you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 July 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Classic old school RPG.  My favorites of the batch are Avernum IV and Nethergate: Resurrection.  Look for slings early on as they will be your danged weapons and they are needed for early survival to soften up the enemy before they reach you.

I spent an unholy amount of time playing the original Exile on the lab Quadra 610 back in the day. Evenings only, so as not to interfere with peoples' research schedules too much.

#10 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Have any of you played the Avadon series?

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostTogglemeister, on 02 October 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Not enough to be able to make a judgment. Just dipped my toes in the first game so far.

That said, I like Vogel's stuff, so on balance I'll probably enjoy this too. There's only so many hours in the day sadly.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostTogglemeister, on 02 October 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Yes, I like Jeff's work.  The first Avadon was a lot of fun as expected.  I got about a third through the second game when I bought Borderlands and never picked it back up since.  I wasn't dissatisfied with it, it's just taken a back seat and I'll pick it up again later.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Dollar for Dollar you can't get much better than Vogel. I have not had time to get through Avadon 2 or the A2 remake yet. I like the Avernum games better than the others but probably just because I grew up on Exile. Nethergate was a real gem and it's always disappointing it's sales were so low.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:08 PM

Nethergate Resurrection is my favorite Vogel game.  I played that thing 4 times, 2 of those times were in a row.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 October 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nethergate Resurrection is my favorite Vogel game.  I played that thing 4 times, 2 of those times were in a row.

I am in the beta testers list :cool:

I think my favorite Vogel game was Avernum 5. SUCH TWIST. You play those arseholes you hated the past decade. I played that til 2/3 AM for a week str8 when it came out. Sorry work. I was operating at 50% productivity because of Jeff Vogel that week.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#16 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

The original Exile series is freeware now. The ones on the Spiderweb site are windows, but you can get the Winewrapped versions here: http://avernum.nethergate.net/intel/

You should check out Exile II and III at least (the first is a bit bare-bones). I prefer them over the remakes.