#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Apple quietly updated the iPod Touch today with a massive processing upgrade to the 64 bit A8 processor (same as iPhone 6) and an option for 128 GB capacity. The device also features the motion processor which allows it to track steps and stairways while walking. The iPod touch was previously updated in 2012 and utilized the A5 processor (same as iPhone 4S). The A8 processor has an approximately 8x more CPU power and 10x more GPU power then the A5.

This update will make all iOS activities much faster and more enjoyable. The 128 GB size option is a nice feature, seeing as the 160 GB iPod Classic was discontinued last year. The only notable exclusion from the new iPod Touch is a Touch ID sensor. The device retains the same 4" form factor as the previous iPod Touch.

https://www.apple.com/ca/ipod-touch/
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Here's hoping it's a precursor to a 6c that has a normal sized screen so I can replace my iPhone 5 with something that isn't the size of small country.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

THEY KEPT 4 INCH

THEY PUT IN 128GB

THEY PUT IN AN A8

IT'S MY WISH LIST COME TRUE

BUYING NOW

On a serious note (not implying I'm not serious about a day 1 buy, because I am), this is great because iOS 7+ will actually be usable on the iPod Touch now. The A5 is HORRIBLY underpowered for iOS now that it's become rather bloatware-ish. iOS 7 was so slow and awful on my iPod Touch that I bought five iPod Touch 5s just to play the lottery and get iOS 6.1.3... managed to get one. It's stayed on 6.1.3 ever since. Sold all the others on eBay for a small loss and didn't look back.

Man, this plus El Capitan adding TRIM support for third-party SSDs... it's like Apple has heard some of my cries of anger against them lately.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Nice bump.

I subscribe to Apple Music I could get by with a 32G iPod, maybe even 16. My old 64GB 4th gen is full to the brim, but its mostly my music.

For that matter the refurb & used 5th gens should get really cheap now. Granted they are underpowered but they should still be great for music & podcasts.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 15 July 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

Nice bump.

I subscribe to Apple Music I could get by with a 32G iPod, maybe even 16. My old 64GB 4th gen is full to the brim, but its mostly my music.

For that matter the refurb & used 5th gens should get really cheap now. Granted they are underpowered but they should still be great for music & podcasts.

I would really recommend you don't get a 16 GB. I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 and even with being really frugal with my space I'm running out. I only have a few albums saved to the device (total Music library on device is 250 MB) and the largest space item on my phone is 1 GB of photos/video. The largest app is my audiobook app, which has around 500 MB of audio books. With iOS 8.4 I only have 9.2 GB of usable space.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 July 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

I would really recommend you don't get a 16 GB. I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 and even with being really frugal with my space I'm running out. I only have a few albums saved to the device (total Music library on device is 250 MB) and the largest space item on my phone is 1 GB of photos/video. The largest app is my audiobook app, which has around 500 MB of audio books. With iOS 8.4 I only have 9.2 GB of usable space.
Yeah, 16GB is just tiny for anything these days. Android KitKat is a hell of a lot slimmer than iOS 8, and 16GB is painfully small even on my Nvidia Shield Portable. I do have a 128GB microSDXC in it, but due to the complexities of Android, not all apps and data can be moved to the SD card. That 16GB fills up fast.

Didn't help that Aspyr released KOTOR for Android with Shield support... and then made it so you can't move that 2GB monster to an SD card. Finally had to just uninstall it because I needed that space back.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostFrost, on 15 July 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Man, this plus El Capitan adding TRIM support for third-party SSDs... it's like Apple has heard some of my cries of anger against them lately.
Why wait for El Capitan?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 July 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

I would really recommend you don't get a 16 GB. I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 and even with being really frugal with my space I'm running out.
Thanks. I think I'm more likely to get a smart phone within the year than replace my iPod Touch. Either way, 32GB is definitely my floor.

The point has been made, face-to-face to Apple's Senior VP no less, that 16GB is too small to be their minimum. Their model seems to be for people to use iCloud and iTunes Match or Music. But they also boast about the large number of apps on the App Store, so I don't think they are being realistic. Rumor is that the iPhone6+ will still start at 16GB though.

(That linked interview is a good read, btw, or there's video if you prefer. Phil Schiller being grilled before a live WWDC audience by Gruber, who is friendly but can be pointed when he feels its justified.. Schiller comes off very well, and is laugh-out-loud funny at times. I strongly disagree with him about the 16GB though.)

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 16 July 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

The point has been made, face-to-face to Apple's Senior VP no less, that 16GB is too small to be their minimum. Their model seems to be for people to use iCloud and iTunes Match or Music. But they also boast about the large number of apps on the App Store, so I don't think they are being realistic. Rumor is that the iPhone6+ will still start at 16GB though.

Oh they know it's not goodman. But it is really smart financially. It is technically serviceable and lets them really encourage people to get the next tier up for not much more dough. Jump to 64GB for a mere 100 dollars. Which only cost us 25 bucks more.

Honestly I struggle with 32 on my 5 most days I'm running under 1GB space depending on how many podcasts I've managed to churn through that day. If apple releases me a not country sized iPhone 6scxparanormaln8 I will probably just buy the largest model they have. I've saved enough money with Ting and my ancient 5 that I can splurge on a nu device to last me a few years.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Yeah I'm working on switching the family to Ting too. I'm hoping the savings will justify me moving up to a smart phone sometime within the year.

Your point about 16GB encouraging people to get the next one up is spot on. Thanks for reminding me of it. It's a well-known psychological/marketing technique: offer the consumer 3 choices and they will mostly pick the middle one. It almost doesn't matter what the three choices are. People want options to compare their choice to, and most people end up in the middle.

Gruber's assertion is that, unlike many manufacturers, Apple generally tries NOT to sell a bad experience at ANY tier. That's not their brand. It's "good, better, best", not "mediocre, better, best". And Gruber believes strongly that 16GB risks being a disappointing experience, and that's not Apple's usual style. But it wouldn't be the first time Apple underestimated the user's needs *cough*128k Mac*cough*.

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 July 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

Gruber's assertion is that, unlike many manufacturers, Apple generally tries NOT to sell a bad experience at ANY tier. That's not their brand. It's "good, better, best", not "mediocre, better, best". And Gruber believes strongly that 16GB risks being a disappointing experience, and that's not Apple's usual style. But it wouldn't be the first time Apple underestimated the user's needs *cough*128k Mac*cough*.

I think on the iPod it's fine but come 6s if we are still in the 16/64/128 that's going to be a real weak showing from apple and that baseline will defiantly fall in the mediocre category. Right now it really is on the line IMO, the rest of the package is as good as ever but that 16 gig baseline.......They gotta bump it to 32 next rev, or drop the price. And dropping the price on things really isn't apple's style.

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Got the new iPod today. It's so FAST!

But even though I use iOS 8 every day on my iPad mini 2, seeing it on the iPod screen has reminded me how fugly it is. Bleh. I'll miss iOS 6. The things I use most, Messages, Mail, Music are just so... black and white and visually bland. This also forced me to finally upgrade my MacBook Pro from iTunes 11 to 12... oh god.

Apple, who is making your UI decisions.

128GB is so nice. It can go back to being a real iPod again. I couldn't fit my whole library on the 64GB even downgraded to 192 Kbps. Had to pick and choose playlists. Now, everything I own will fit plus all apps and other data and I've got 30 GB left over. I only need to downconvert from ALAC to 256 Kbps AAC and it all fits.

EDIT: Showdown between my two iPods.

Geekbench 2
Geekbench 3

Ice Storm benchmarks show GPU performance is about what Apple marketing said. Massive improvement. Top 3 are iPod Touch 6, bottom 3 are iPod Touch 5.

Posted Image

Compared to the Shield Portable:

Posted Image

Pretty amazing the iPod Touch is just behind the Tegra 4. Even though it's two years old, the Tegra 4 still clobbers most mobile devices, so the iPod's got some serious GPU chops to be so close.

EDIT 2: Defeated the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus on GFXBench. Holy S.

Eric5h5: