24 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

I've been having a problem lately with my CRT blacking out and then popping back on a couple of seconds later.  Any recommendations on how to diagnose the problem?  I'm not sure if it is the power supply or the CRT or something in-between.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Is it electrically grounded?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

Is the VGA cable built in or detachable?

And did you stop emitting EMP pulses?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

I had a CRT that did that, it was a loose cable. After disconnecting everything, and re-connecting as firm as I could, the problem went away (for me at least on that CRT).

If that doesn't help, well, it might be a bigger issue that is internal.

Have you tried blowing out the dust in it, can of compressed air? (just steer clear of the big thick cable stuck to the side of the crt tube)

Also, when it happens, do you 'hear' anything? A click, a zzzzit, or pop?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 09 July 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

Is it electrically grounded?

Yes.

View Postmacdude22, on 09 July 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Is the VGA cable built in or detachable?

Built in with an adaptor, VGA to DVI adaptor.  New I might add, got it with my Sapphire graphics card.

And did you stop emitting EMP pulses?

It started out as really bad gas but as I got older it has matured into EMP bursts.

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 July 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

I had a CRT that did that, it was a loose cable. After disconnecting everything, and re-connecting as firm as I could, the problem went away (for me at least on that CRT).

I'll do this, thanks.

If that doesn't help, well, it might be a bigger issue that is internal.

Have you tried blowing out the dust in it, can of compressed air? (just steer clear of the big thick cable stuck to the side of the crt tube)

You know I've never blown out my CRT, I don't even see how it opens without a big hammer.  [Edit] Found a couple of big screw holes, not to get you nerds all excited or anything, but there are some very sexy screw holes in this thing... begging for a large screwdriver to give them sweet release.

Also, when it happens, do you 'hear' anything? A click, a zzzzit, or pop?

I don't recall, I'll pay attention next time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

I had a three year old Sony Trinitron (nice) back in the day that did this. This happened intermittently for a couple of months before something made a loud pop, the screen died, smoke appeared and a bad smell filled the room (and I'm not talking about the monitor here, if you catch my drift, hur hur).

Anyway. I investigated the corpse after it had been powered off and unplugged for a few days (because CRT guts can be deadly, but you knew this) and found a very leaky and burnt electrolytic capacitor on the mainboard. Not to worry you or anything. I figured it probably wasn't worth trying to get it fixed.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

"Re-Capping" old electronics isn't as difficult as it sounds. Just have to be fearless and do a lil homework first.

My old (now very old) htpc, had 4 of its larger caps bulge out, and it was acting up (intermittent shutoffs). So I unsoldered about 20 caps across the whole motherboard, and put new ones back in. Sure, it wasnt a 'pretty' soldering job, but as long as metal dont touch other metal it shouldn't, then its AOK. And, that poor abused htpc has been running fine 24/7 ever since. I think that thing is going on 10 years old now.

For a monitor though... I'd imagine leaving that sucker unplugged for a good month before messing with energy caps :/

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 July 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

I've been having a problem lately with my CRT blacking out and then popping back on a couple of seconds later.  Any recommendations on how to diagnose the problem?  I'm not sure if it is the power supply or the CRT or something in-between.  Any help would be much appreciated.
I had a GDM-FW900 that died from something exactly like this. I diagnosed it, but I can't remember the name of the part anymore. Has to do with the delivery of electricity to the electron gun IIRC.

Basically, unless you know how to do the job yourself or can find a competent CRT repair guy, who are becoming about as common as Fortran programmers outside of HPC, your CRT is probably hosed.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

I pay some semi local guys to recap all my popsnizzle because my shaky old fat hand can't recap an Apple II.Thanks old pinballarcaderepairbros. Repairing my old arcade popsnizzle.

Best I can do is old Ratshack breadboards. I'm so useless.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

So I guess I'm looking at a new LED screen.  Any suitable recommendations for my hardware?  I want to play games and have accurate color for retouching old photos and spiffing up new ones.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 July 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

So I guess I'm looking at a new LED screen.  Any suitable recommendations for my hardware?  I want to play games and have accurate color for retouching old photos and spiffing up new ones.

Games, lots of great options!

Accurate color... depends on how accurate you need. Stay away from TN panels (which unfortunately are the best for gaming). If you want relatively good color accuracy, a decent IPS panel should do the trick. If you want what-you-see-is-what-you-print accuracy, sadly you're looking at four figures for production LCDs that can match the color accuracy of a good CRT, and almost all of those are rather poor for gaming as they suffer from serious ghosting and input lag. Might be a good time to hit craplist and see if there are any good CRTs available locally as an alternative.

I forget where in Cali you're at, but I always keep an eye out for Sony FW900s and SGI FW9011s, and I see them popping up for sale at very reasonable prices (a few hundred for what is a $2300 CAD-grade monitor) in California all the time. Which makes sense since they were film industry staples for a long time and still are. That's how I got both of mine, got lucky and spotted ads that popped up in Houston pretty quickly and snapped them up.

They are big and heavy, but they have the color range and accuracy of those $4000 Sony Trimaster OLED reference displays, while having response time faster than a ROG Swift running G-sync. Best of all worlds.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thats one thing I do miss from the CRT days... deep blacks. I mean, with CRT, 'off pixel is fraken OFF'... not this sunburst of radiation behind a 'black pixel' nonsense that is these flat panels.

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

The ViewSonic Graphic Series G90f CRT I have now is masked so that there is little radiation around a black pixel.  I would like a monitor that is equivalent to this quality yet without ghosting and lag for games.  Is there such an animal that won't cost me my an arm and a leg?  I mean, not that there is any shortage of arms and legs laying around the house and yard, but I'd rather eat them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 July 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

The ViewSonic Graphic Series G90f CRT I have now is masked so that there is little radiation around a black pixel.  I would like a monitor that is equivalent to this quality yet without ghosting and lag for games.  Is there such an animal that won't cost me my an arm and a leg?  I mean, not that there is any shortage of arms and legs laying around the house and yard, but I'd rather eat them.
The holy grail. 24", 16:10 ratio, perfect blacks, perfect colors, sub-1ms response times, input lag around 300 microseconds vs. LCDs' multiple milliseconds, no ghosting, and every resolution is "native" resolution with no scaling or lag. At Amazon, though obviously no longer available. But you'll have to brave Craigslist or watch eBay to get it. Unkle Vito's in LA has them regularly as well, but they charge an arm and a leg for them these days. You can usually find them from private sellers in the $200-400 range, which is much more reasonable. I got my FW9011 (SGI rebadged FW900) for $250 and my FW900 for $120. The FW900 unfortunately developed a power issue and died a couple years ago, but the FW9011 is still going strong.

The second best would be a modern gaming IPS LCD, but they'll run you in the $400 to $800 range in order to get top notch color and performance. But they'll still feel slower than a CRT or a TN LCD (TN being faster at the expense of worse viewing angles and so-so color accuracy). And they'll also still have that "IPS glow." Blacks won't be perfect black and that's just the way it is. It's a limitation of the technology compounded by backlighting. The best middle ground I'd recommend from what I've used would be ASUS' new MX27AQ. It's very fast at native res, and colors are excellent. Not perfect, but I think good enough for photo editing on a non-professional level.

Regarding colors and blacks, OLED is the first commercialized display tech since CRT and plasma where a black pixel is both off and not backlit, color accuracy is nearly perfect, and response times are microscopic (even faster than CRT). Sadly, OLED computer monitors still haven't hit the market outside of reference displays at $5K and up for production houses, broadcasters, and medical. So right now, it's LCD and deal with glow, or find one of the top end old CRTs in good condition and wait for OLED (what I'm doing).

Eric5h5:

#15 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostFrost, on 16 July 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

Regarding colors and blacks, OLED is the first commercialized display tech since CRT and plasma where a black pixel is both off and not backlit, color accuracy is nearly perfect, and response times are microscopic (even faster than CRT). Sadly, OLED computer monitors still haven't hit the market outside of reference displays at $5K and up for production houses, broadcasters, and medical. So right now, it's LCD and deal with glow, or find one of the top end old CRTs in good condition and wait for OLED (what I'm doing).

I can't wait for OLED to be standard. Such a beautiful display technology. My dream screen is a OLED 32" 4K  display (large enough the I don't need to run any pixel scaling). That high dpi, perfect colour, fast response time monitor will be a dream to use. Probably at least another 3-5 years out though.

One thing I don't understand is that OLED technology is in TV's currently at my local Best Buy and isn't insanely expensive ($3K CDN for a 55" 1080p OLED). It seems to me like making smaller screens has always been easier then large ones (thinking of phones and stuff, which had high dpi starting with the iPhone 4 in 2010), but I haven't seen any OLED monitors outside of the insane price market. Why isn't there a 24" 1080p OLED monitor for $1K?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

It might be more difficult to compact more elements into a smaller space, than having ample spacing and room on a HUGE tv that sits 10 feet away from you so you dont see all the gaps between pixels and the like.

With a computer monitor, you usually tend to sit closer, and can visuall notice 'gaps' between pixels. One of my biggest grips in the old days, was something called "dot pitch" on CRTs. I was very adamant about a tight dot pitch, because seeing the gaps drove my eyes batty. Same with some of the earlier LCD... where instead of creating a 'square' pixel, it was kind of a tri-dot roundy pixel with lots of gaps between the circle portions since a bunch of circles dont fit together as well as a bunch of squares.

-Fm [1oM7]

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Frost.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 July 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

I can't wait for OLED to be standard. Such a beautiful display technology. My dream screen is a OLED 32" 4K  display (large enough the I don't need to run any pixel scaling). That high dpi, perfect colour, fast response time monitor will be a dream to use. Probably at least another 3-5 years out though.

One thing I don't understand is that OLED technology is in TV's currently at my local Best Buy and isn't insanely expensive ($3K CDN for a 55" 1080p OLED). It seems to me like making smaller screens has always been easier then large ones (thinking of phones and stuff, which had high dpi starting with the iPhone 4 in 2010), but I haven't seen any OLED monitors outside of the insane price market. Why isn't there a 24" 1080p OLED monitor for $1K?

The main problem is the cheap OLED displays you're talking about are probably LG branded ones. Those aren't real RGB OLEDs like the Samsungs (which are in the $10K USD price range). LG is basically making white OLEDs and then putting a changing color filter over them to produce colors. It's a lot cheaper, but it's not the same OLED you think you're getting.

Another problem with the TVs is the horrifying amount of input lag from both manufacturers. I don't know WTF LG and Samsung are doing, but they've got almost 80 ms of lag on their OLED displays, which is enough for even the dullest gamer to notice. That's not the OLED display causing that since OLEDs respond so much faster than LCDs, so I'm guessing they're doing so much post-processing to snazzify the image that it's slowing delivery of the image to the actual display down to a crawl.

Sony's Trimasters don't have that problem, but... who the hell is going to spend $25,000 on a 24" monitor outside of a movie studio or somesuch entity.

Eric5h5:

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostFrost, on 17 July 2015 - 06:47 PM, said:

I'm guessing they're doing so much post-processing to snazzify the image that it's slowing delivery of the image to the actual display down to a crawl.

post-processing my arch-nemesis. I've yet to find a TV where it makes the picture look better. DO these manufactures actually test any of these tvs coming off the assembly line?

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 July 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

post-processing my arch-nemesis. I've yet to find a TV where it makes the picture look better. DO these manufactures actually test any of these tvs coming off the assembly line?

Yeah, all that auto-this clarify-that nonsense. Pure garbage. Dont get me started on that 'dynamic contrast' bs either omfg.

-Fm [1oM7]