Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

Gangnam Style confirmed Frigidman fav song <3
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#22 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

I still need to do a run of iTunes Match to upgrade old low bit rate CD rips to 256k files. You can't do this with Apple Music despite it matching your existing library the same way if you use the iCloud feature. I'm not sure why Apple Music even supports that. If you can stream anything and you can download to play later anything, why do you need to match your music to the cloud to access it on all your devices? Everything already is accessible on all your devices. Well, except maybe the odd rare recording here and there I guess that you might have locally and want in the cloud. For the amount of times that would matter it seems strange they would bother.

Maybe I am missing something there but I do know that I need to buy into iTunes Match for one annual sub of 25 bucks if I want to upgrade my old CD rips with DRM free 256k AAC files from the iTunes Store library.

I am thinking also that I better get this done before they decide to end iTunes Match if they do. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to upgrade a large portion of my library for next to nothing compared to what replacing all those recordings would cost.

The world is moving toward a day when we will pay subscriptions for everything and own nothing. Maybe. Sometimes I wonder though.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#23 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 July 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

The world is moving toward a day when we will pay subscriptions for everything and own nothing. Maybe. Sometimes I wonder though.

I hope it never comes to that (coming from someone who is young)

Streaming is great, but I still buy stuff that I want to keep, and that I think deserves my money. I use netflix and hbo go but I still buy stuff on iTunes.

I will pay for apple music but I will still buy things as well. I like having the option for both, as opposed to spotify.

Also, I've started listening to Santana a lot lately.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

View Postipickert55, on 06 July 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

I hope it never comes to that (coming from someone who is young)

Streaming is great, but I still buy stuff that I want to keep, and that I think deserves my money. I use netflix and hbo go but I still buy stuff on iTunes.
Pretty much this. I peruse music streaming services (so far, mostly Last.fm, Apple Music seems to be very suitable for this, too) to find new music I want to own and then buy it. Heck, I still buy CDs of the artists that interests me the most. I don't want to be dependent on some subscription to get the music I like.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 July 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

This is a thing, a growing trend among young people to not own property.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 July 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

I own actual property. I'm happy to rent music to feed my fleeting tastes. Hell 94.1 KRNA has actually got me listening to real live radio again (that's not NPR or Coast to Coast).

*waits for tBC to try and find all mah secret Silver stashes*
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8253 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 July 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Bloody hippies.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

I'm currently listening too a bunch of yappers on IMG forums.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Antonin Dvorak: Romance in f Op.11 is playing right now.  FM station.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

Classic eurodance on di.fm.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8253 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 July 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Classic eurodance on di.fm.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, no more… :P

#32 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

I just started taking Apple Music out for a spin.

Mostly listening to alt-J's This Is All Yours. Wow.
Other listens include a Tori Amos album, plus tracks from Agnes Obel, Guster, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, TV on the Radio. I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I'll settle down soon.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 08 July 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

I just started taking Apple Music out for a spin.

Mostly listening to alt-J's This Is All Yours. Wow.
Other listens include a Tori Amos album, plus tracks from Agnes Obel, Guster, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, TV on the Radio. I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I'll settle down soon.

&#63743;Music has been a pleasant surprise. The interface is a step up from the downward spiral iTunes has been taking for a while. The Music recommendations and song/artist stations are better than what Rdio generally provides me. Like, really surprisingly better. I don't know if it is because they have access to data about my iTunes library but putting in a couple song stations I listen to a lot on Rdio I was really digging the songs &#63743;Music was spitting out vs. what Rdio spits out.

Example. The Geeks Will Inherit the Earth song station on Rdio will play a lot of stuff like Weezer, Greenday, Motion City Sound Track. All decent stuff to be sure but I fight dragons is more of a geek rock band than a pop rock band. I plugged it into Apple music as a station and it was spitting out really neat stuff like Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew, MC Frontalot, Cake, Teagan and Sara, Owl City, I hate Kate, hell it even played Earth Angel from the Stubbs the Zombie Sound track which surprised the frak out of me in an awesome way.

The curated playlists it has been suggesting are pretty great. Here's an hour or two of music we think you would like, and it is easy to click it to download for offline play. Stark contrast to the hundred song mechanically generated playlists of music. Genius is actually useful now, instead of here is some popsnizzle we think you would like to buy. Here is an hour or two of music we think you would like to listen to. Neat, click to download playlist. I've actually found myself clicking on a song I like, generating a genius playlist, and listening to it from end to end.

I went in not expecting much, I've been pretty happy with my Rdio subscription but the quality of the what it has been spitting out based on my eclectic inputs has been impressive.

There have been some launch glitches but it is v1 product so I'll give them some time to work through the initial bugs. I half think that is why they are giving a 3 month trial. We know there's going to be some growing pains but give us 3 months feed back I'll take my 3 months to make a final determination but between the surprising recommendation quality and the reasonably priced 14.99 family plan (I expect Rdio and others to come out with enhanced family plans before the android launch) I may just ditch Rdio.

***EDIT*** The Geeks Will Inherit the Earth station just played Code Monkey. I've never had Rdio play me JoCo with this station.
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#34 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

> Genius is actually useful now, instead of here is some popsnizzle we think you would like to buy.

I'll have to try Genius playlists again. They should be much more interesting than before, given the larger library of songs to work with.

One oddity: when I searched for an artist yesterday it would always say that I was already Following them. I kept having to Unfollow. I think maybe it was a bug because today it's not happening.

My "For You" landing page has improved 100% since yesterday, just from one day's worth of listening. Most of the links are interesting to me now. It's a bit overwhelming, actually. Not sure where to start.

(One thing I'm surprised by is that there are no links from the streaming side to the store. If I'm looking at an artist who doesn't have much for streaming, there's nothing (aside from the written review) to suggest that there are missing albums, some of which might be for sale in the iTunes store. I'm not surprised Apple prefers not to highlight to paying subscribers that some content is lacking, but I expected SOME links between the two services.)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#35 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 08 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

> Genius is actually useful now, instead of here is some popsnizzle we think you would like to buy.

I'll have to try Genius playlists again. They should be much more interesting than before, given the larger library of songs to work with.

One oddity: when I searched for an artist yesterday it would always say that I was already Following them. I kept having to Unfollow. I think maybe it was a bug because today it's not happening.

The following functionality seems buggy (it auto populated a whole bunch of popsnizzle artists for me). Connect seems more useless than ping so I am really not interested in it. Quit trying to reinvent social and just tie into twitter.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 08 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

(One thing I'm surprised by is that there are no links from the streaming side to the store. If I'm looking at an artist who doesn't have much for streaming, there's nothing (aside from the written review) to suggest that there are missing albums, some of which might be for sale in the iTunes store. I'm not surprised Apple prefers not to highlight to paying subscribers that some content is lacking, but I expected SOME links between the two services.)

They are really really isolated, so much so that I wonder if the original intent wasn't to have two completely separate apps. I noticed this when I could not find Patent Pending (Mario & The Brick Breakers) which is one of my favorite tunes to have loaded up in Rdio. It is available in the store but not in Music (which is weird because every other Patent Pending album is). I actually googled patent pending apple music and that's where I found out it was in the store just not in Music.

#36 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=3Wqzh1GL71Q

#37 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8253 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

I definitely agree: the "For You" suggestions are excellent after some short training. I "hearted" a bunch of my favourite songs in my own library and Apple Music quickly came up with some really good recommendations. There are a few suggestions that I would reject, but for some reason you cannot do that (yet?) with iTunes. (You can reject recommendations on iOS, though.)

I also found that you can tweak the music played on the radio stations to your liking: while playing, you can click on that star and either select to get more songs like the one you are currently listening to, or have that song never to be played again.

#38 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:31 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 09 July 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

I definitely agree: the "For You" suggestions are excellent after some short training. I "hearted" a bunch of my favourite songs in my own library and Apple Music quickly came up with some really good recommendations. There are a few suggestions that I would reject, but for some reason you cannot do that (yet?) with iTunes. (You can reject recommendations on iOS, though.)

I also found that you can tweak the music played on the radio stations to your liking: while playing, you can click on that star and either select to get more songs like the one you are currently listening to, or have that song never to be played again.

There are a few stark UI elements missing from iTunes that are in the IOS app. Hopefully they get patched in soon.

Was really not expecting to be this impressed by Apple Music given my well known aversion to iTunes post v10. It's almost like they listened to user feedback. Almost.

Also the more I look at connect the more. Ugh. Let me connect socially to my friends somehow. Twitter, friend connect, I don't care but I want to get feedback and playlists from friends not Fergie. Stop trying this apple.

#39 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2598 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

Worth mentioning Apple Music also has a decent selection of comedy albums. No Emo Phillips to speak of, but everyone else I searched for off the top of my head was there: PF Tompkins, Steven Wright, Patton Oswalt, Jimmy Carr, Steve Martin, Demetri Martin, Hannibal Burress, Woody Allen.

I'm kind of scared to favorite any of them though, for fear of diluting the music suggestions I'm getting.

I'm now seriously considering subscribing to this or maybe Spotify when this free trial is up. To be really worth it I'd have to replace my old iPod Touch with a newer model, or maybe switch to a smartphone.

One oddity yesterday: I found an album where apparently only some of the songs were licensed to stream. All songs were listed, but most were greyed out. (The more common case is a whole album isn't available, in which case it simply isn't listed.)
www.mindthecube.com

#40 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Don't know if there are any Kanye fans here (his music, not his personality), but I've been listening to his old stuff, Graduation and Late Registration. Great albums.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB