32 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

I miss a good curb stomping so I thought I'd get curb stomped via software by updating to Yosemite then installing Windows with Boot Camp so I can get my game on over on the Dark Side using the Mac games I have on Steam.  I don't expect much trouble on the mechanics of the process, I've read how to do it.  What I do expect is lots of trouble that advice would help me to avoid.  So...

I've really not followed Yosemite or the talk about it, I like to wait until a few revisions in before I participate.  What little nasty surprises am I to expect besides flat lifeless graphics?  Has it grown into a decent enough OS since it's inception?

Also some partitioning advice would be nice.  Boot Camp Assistant will do that but I want some input about how much to give it.  I have a Terabyte SSD that has 500 GB free.  Right now I want a Windows partition only for games.  Any other tips about the Boot Camp Installer would be appreciated.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

On the partition front, depending on how many games you want installed and available at any given moment, dictates that size. If you can live with installing and uninstalling to install another ... then you could get by with 100GB for games for the pc side (kind of skimpy, but workable). Add up to 25GB for windows itself (as it can grow over time from its base install).

A lot of good big games are around the 5-10GB mark, with some reaching into 20GB a piece, and then some heavy weights at 50GB (GTA V WTF?!).

But if you've got room, split it up. This is one thing I disliked about Bootcamp, was that you have to partition hard, and couldnt really share space between OSX and Windows.

What Windows are you going with? I suggest 7 if you have it, as it is generally happier and easier to use with gaming in mind, vs 8.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 June 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

I miss a good curb stomping so I thought I'd get curb stomped via software by updating to Yosemite then installing Windows with Boot Camp so I can get my game on over on the Dark Side using the Mac games I have on Steam.  I don't expect much trouble on the mechanics of the process, I've read how to do it.  What I do expect is lots of trouble that advice would help me to avoid.  So...

I've really not followed Yosemite or the talk about it, I like to wait until a few revisions in before I participate.  What little nasty surprises am I to expect besides flat lifeless graphics?  Has it grown into a decent enough OS since it's inception?

Also some partitioning advice would be nice.  Boot Camp Assistant will do that but I want some input about how much to give it.  I have a Terabyte SSD that has 500 GB free.  Right now I want a Windows partition only for games.  Any other tips about the Boot Camp Installer would be appreciated.

You have a mac pro. Just throw in a drive dedicated to wandows. Unless you are really attatched to the wandows partition on the SSD ideer. I"d grab one of those Seagate SSHDs cheap for wandows since it's not your primary platform. Other than that you can just let the assistant install the drivers to a flash drive, I always let wandows format the drive as NTFS rather than bootcamps dum FAT32 partition.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Second on the just grab a drive for Windows.  the Seagate SSHDs are super cheap and you get most of the performance benefits of an SSD (fast boot times, fast app/OS response, etc) for way less; it wont help game loading times as the SSD portion is too small for much mroe than the OS and a few frequent apps, but they are also only like 10$ more than traditional HDDs for the same sizes.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 16 June 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Second on the just grab a drive for Windows.  the Seagate SSHDs are super cheap and you get most of the performance benefits of an SSD (fast boot times, fast app/OS response, etc) for way less; it wont help game loading times as the SSD portion is too small for much mroe than the OS and a few frequent apps, but they are also only like 10$ more than traditional HDDs for the same sizes.

I'm wanted to get an SSD for Windows but now I'm undecided.  I have 195GB of Steam folder in my Applications Support folder.  I want access to all my Mac Steam games from Windows plus I'll need about twice the room for all the PC only games I'm likely to get comes to 585GB, Windows requires 25GB bringing it to 610GB.  I'll settle for a 500GB SSD.  Not sure about the SSHD, I've never heard of them, how much of the Seagate hybrid is SSD and how much is HDD?  If I go that route I can get a 1TB SSHD and have room out the wazoo.  Cause my wazoo needs a skosh more room.

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

What Windows are you going with? I suggest 7 if you have it, as it is generally happier and easier to use with gaming in mind, vs 8.

The Bootcamp assistant for this version OS wants me to get Windows 8.1.  You say Windows 7 is better for gaming?  If installing 7 works OK with modern games and is better for gaming, then I'm interested because this is a windows gaming drive I'm setting up.

View Postmacdude22, on 16 June 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

You have a mac pro. Just throw in a drive dedicated to wandows. Unless you are really attatched to the wandows partition on the SSD ideer. I"d grab one of those Seagate SSHDs cheap for wandows since it's not your primary platform. Other than that you can just let the assistant install the drivers to a flash drive, I always let wandows format the drive as NTFS rather than bootcamps dum FAT32 partition.

A drive over a partition is a better idea and I'm going that route.  I wouldn't know where to install a flash drive full of drivers.  If I buy a Windows 7 DVD I should be able to install it onto a brand new store-bought drive with the price tag still on it attached by a piece of string.  Why doesn't Windows install the drivers along with all the other Windows software?  These questions and more at 11.  The Assistant must have up-to-date drivers as opposed to an older version of Windows.  ? I get it now I think, so where its the Windows Driver Drawer?  Are there better versions of drivers for a gamer to get out there on the intertube other than that which the Assistant provides?  Or is that the simplest just to get me started.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

Wait… tBC wants to install Windows to play games? Is this some kind of sign of the End of Times? :blink:

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 June 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

The Bootcamp assistant for this version OS wants me to get Windows 8.1.  You say Windows 7 is better for gaming?  If installing 7 works OK with modern games and is better for gaming, then I'm interested because this is a windows gaming drive I'm setting up.
If you really just want to play games under Windows, I would suggest Windows 8.1. MS has made some atrocious design changes, but if you don't have to work with it, they are not too bothersome – especially since there are (free) third-party tools like Classic Shell to alleviate the worst missteps. One of Win 8.1's biggest advantages is its speed, especially the boot times, which measure in seconds. This makes rebooting into Windows much less bothersome.

Just don't let yourself be fooled during installation into thinking that a Microsoft account is required. The option to continue without creating an account is somewhat inconspicuous, but it installs and works fine without one.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Maybe all the issues with games having issues with windows 8 have subsided? It just seems whenever I go looking about a game, I see issue under windows 8 this, problem with windows 8 that, and I'm like... I dont have any of those problems, and I'm on 7, wtf gives? So this is why I usually recommend 7 over 8. 7 is much more rounded out after all the service updates and stuff. Maybe 8.1 is 'getting there' as well?

As for boot times, I dunno, the most time my pc spends booting is at POST when the hardware is doing its thing ;) The windows is 2 seconds of blue dots then a login prompt hehe.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Throw caution to the wind, just install Wandows 10 technical preview.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 17 June 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

Maybe all the issues with games having issues with windows 8 have subsided? It just seems whenever I go looking about a game, I see issue under windows 8 this, problem with windows 8 that, and I'm like... I dont have any of those problems, and I'm on 7, wtf gives? So this is why I usually recommend 7 over 8. 7 is much more rounded out after all the service updates and stuff. Maybe 8.1 is 'getting there' as well?
I can't say I personally had any problems with games under Win 8.1 – at least none that already were present under Win 7. I do know there are some games that have problems with Win 8.1, though.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

Maybe its metro that games dont like? I do know plain 8 (not 8.1) was worse for issues in games.

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 17 June 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Maybe its metro that games dont like? I do know plain 8 (not 8.1) was worse for issues in games.
*shrug* No idea. There weren't many changes regarding Metro (or "Modern UI" how MS now wants it to be called) from Win 8 to 8.1, at least not on the surface.

But judging from some other forums, there have been improvements in compatibility with Win 8.1 compared to 8, so things really seem to be better.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

Well thats good to hear.

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Then 8.1 it is.  There's going to be a free upgrade to 10 from 8.  If it's better I'll take it.  I just need the OS to launch games, not going to be a user in the traditional sense.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

I have been thinking about putting it back on my iMac myself, Windows 7, but I don't want to give it much space. I have a USB 3 drive I could assign the steam games install folder to but I wonder if performance would be hit too much or not. It's a 7200 RPM external drive. How much space would I need to give Windows to be sure I'm good for all the crap that gets installed by games, etc. plus patches over time?

What I also wonder about is if Apple is going to provide bootcamp drivers for a late-2013 iMac or not for Windows 10. It would be nice if they did. I seem to recall them only supporting up to Win7 on my mid-2011 iMac and not providing Win8 drivers. That's why I wonder about this. And if I was able to install Windows 10, then who knows what partition size I'd need to make sure I had enough but without wasting storage either if I'd be alright installing the games themselves to the USB 3 drive.

I think about this stuff and I think maybe I am out to lunch and should just stick to Mac games (I own a lot of them) and consider a PS4 down the road if and when I actually run out of Mac stuff to play.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#15 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

I don't want to bother with Windows, already got enough unplayed stuff on Mac and Wii U.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#16 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Give it at least 100 GB. My 50GB Win 8.1 partiion is like 1GB free, 26GB Witcher 3, Windows take the rest.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostJan, on 17 June 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don't want to bother with Windows, already got enough unplayed stuff on Mac and Wii U.

Me too, but it isn't the lack of games, it is the lack of performance.  I'm playing the Pre-Sequel, unable to use the max settings and even have the resolution one setting below my native to get a steady frame rate and I'm looking at pixilated squares for ground and I'm thinking I can do better.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 17 June 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

Give it at least 100 GB. My 50GB Win 8.1 partiion is like 1GB free, 26GB Witcher 3, Windows take the rest.

I'm likely to go with a full Terabyte dedicated disk for the Windows OS and never worry about space.  It's like $72 dollars, less than windows.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 June 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Me too, but it isn't the lack of games, it is the lack of performance.  I'm playing the Pre-Sequel, unable to use the max settings and even have the resolution one setting below my native to get a steady frame rate and I'm looking at pixilated squares for ground and I'm thinking I can do better.

I feel you. Most of Feral's games are running great in OS X (e.g. Tomb Raider is exceptional), but the Aspyr Borderlands are sub-par. Hopefully Metal will fix that soon.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostJan, on 18 June 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

I feel you. Most of Feral's games are running great in OS X (e.g. Tomb Raider is exceptional), but the Aspyr Borderlands are sub-par. Hopefully Metal will fix that soon.

If ever I thought OS X wasn't capable of proper gaming games like Tomb Raider and Elite Dangerous prove me the wrong. I have rebooted to wandows for Borderlands 2 and TPS since day one, IMO the Mac performance is near unplayable.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

I'm thinking I should have gotten that 680.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat