DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

I'd expect it to be Civ VI but maybe they do have a surprise that merits this build up with teasers. I guess we'll all know soon enough. Maybe they've ported something using the Metal API.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#82 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

I don't think it's Civ VI, since there's simply no need for a dramatic reveal: the Mac version was already confirmed on the same day as the official announcement of the game.

The Mac versions of System Shock Enhanced (and the upcoming remake) are both in-house developments from Nightdive.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#83 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Aspyr posted another teaser.

So the new game will be launching tomorrow and will be available on macOS and iOS.

#84 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 17 August 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Aspyr posted another teaser.

So the new game will be launching tomorrow and will be available on macOS and iOS.

It's Jade Empire, apparently. Unless it's something else.

#85 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 17 August 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I don't think it's Civ VI, since there's simply no need for a dramatic reveal: the Mac version was already confirmed on the same day as the official announcement of the game.

The Mac versions of System Shock Enhanced (and the upcoming remake) are both in-house developments from Nightdive.

Yeah, I wondered why the dramatic reveal too even not being aware about the confirmation earlier or maybe I just forgot. That's nice about the System Shock games. Those are another two I'd really like to get to.

#86 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 August 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

Maybe you've already played it but for anyone that hasn't...

I played that last year and really liked it. I think it was underrated in its PC version due to its console roots and the game really not being much about loot at all but rather a skill progression that I did find to be slow. However, I really enjoyed the setting, characters and story which more than made up for any shortcomings in my opinion.

I recall it looking pretty nice with its graphical updates too considering the age of the original on XBox.

It offers some replay value too in that early on one can choose either a good guy or bad guy role although it really isn't a good/evil choice. Both options are ultimately good but Open Palm tends to be a nice guy whereas Closed Fist is a hard case basically in approach to various issues and choices. So while the way things play out should ultimately be the same I think, there would be some variety in the character interactions that would make a replay fun. I made a note to myself after completing the game having chosen Open Palm that I ought to replay it again later as Closed Fist. It's rare I'll even consider replaying a game but I really did like this one.

When that releases on iOS I'll definitely buy it for my iPad but I'll want to get myself a controller to really enjoy it sounds like. That's alright as it is something I really want to do anyway.

That game would be nice for Mac people to have access to as well where there are not enough good RPGs and this one is good.

#87 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

If it's got mfi support I'll buy it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#88 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 August 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

If it's got mfi support I'll buy it.

Yeah, I don't see how touch controls would work for a game like this. It's not KOTOR.

I have the game on Steam but started it maybe five years ago, haha. Liked it but for whatever reason never got very far. Hopefully it'll be SteamPlay, which would give me a nice incentive to get back to it.

#89 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

Jade Empire was already ported to the Mac by Transgaming awhile back. I know I know Transgaming sucked balls but I actually bought it when it was released and enjoyed it a lot. Crashes were actually extremely rare for me and it played pretty well.

That said really odd choice for the Mac for Aspyr here. However a native Mac port of a pretty epic and unique RPG is always welcome. Even better that it will be on the iPad..
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#90 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Didn't Aspyr say they had an RPG in the pipe for 2016 a while back anyway? Makes sense, I guess.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#91 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostTacohead, on 17 August 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

That said really odd choice for the Mac for Aspyr here. However a native Mac port of a pretty epic and unique RPG is always welcome.

It makes sense given the pattern of KOTOR 1 and Fahrenheit. Port an older game that will work on all Macs and iOS--much bigger market than a system reqs-heavy AAA game, and probably much easier to port, too.

#92 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostCougar, on 17 August 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

That would explain the asian woodcut style looking mist in the teaser pictures.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#93 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:57 AM

But not why they used the image of a Mac to tease it..
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#94 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:59 AM

They used a Mac in one image and an iPad in another, so said game is coming to both macOS and iOS.

#95 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 August 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

Didn't Aspyr say they had an RPG in the pipe for 2016 a while back anyway? Makes sense, I guess.

I'd like to get some RPG crack for my wife's iPad Pro.  It would take the pain out of the next vacation I don't want to take.  Desert Hot Springs, I'm looking at YOU!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#96 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

U take a lot of vacations for a cat, who's lives are well known to be a 24/7 vacation. :teehee:

Posted Image

#97 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 18 August 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'd like to get some RPG crack for my wife's iPad Pro.  It would take the pain out of the next vacation I don't want to take.  Desert Hot Springs, I'm looking at YOU!

Well, you could do the Dragon Quest series or the Final Fantasy series or Baldur's Gate EE or Baldur's Gate II EE or Icewind Dale EE or Titan Quest or the recent Spiderweb Software RPGs if you haven't played them yet or Legend of Grimrock and there is more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

That said, Jade Empire would be awesomesauce but I'd get a controller for the trip.

#98 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

Where dat damn announcement at @aspyr.

#99 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

I was just wondering the same thing. Me thinks it will be at 4:00 PM EST (the only time that matters) when the App Store does its refresh of the main page and Free App of the Week, etc.

#100 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 August 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

It makes sense given the pattern of KOTOR 1 and Fahrenheit. Port an older game that will work on all Macs and iOS--much bigger market than a system reqs-heavy AAA game, and probably much easier to port, too.

I guess it kind of does. I forgot about those other older classics, like The Sims 2 and KotOR 2, they have been bringing back to the Mac (or for the first time in KotOR 2's case).  iI's a strategy I'm actually all for. I guess I just didn't think it would be Jade Empire, and perhaps I selflessly would've preferred some old classic I never played before.

Either way this is a really good thing and since the game was so great I might even get it again. An iPad version is a nice bonus as well.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aspyr