Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

I think it would be appropriate to dedicate a thread to our longtime friends from Austin, Texas. A place to discuss the latest rumours, SteamDB entries and announcements regarding the latest and greatest Aspyr games.

Right now, we are aware of the upcoming retro port of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II -- The Sith Lords for Mac, Linux and probably iOS. But what about another AAA title in the Borderlands/BioShock Infinite league? I have a feeling CD Projekt RED might drop Virtual Programming and work with Aspyr instead. First project: The Witcher 3 for Mac and SteamOS. What do you guys think?
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#2 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

'Homeworld Remastered Collection' has some Mac depots in the SteamDB: https://steamdb.info.../244160/depots/
Aspyr already ported Homeworld 2 and seems to have good relations with Gearbox, who now hold the rights to Homeworld.

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

Aspyr is also working on Mac & Linux versions of the Rising Tide expansion for Beyond Earth. Due in the fall I believe.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

Not to forget: KotOR 2.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostJan, on 02 June 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

I think it would be appropriate to dedicate a thread to our longtime friends from Austin, Texas. A place to discuss the latest rumours, SteamDB entries and announcements regarding the latest and greatest Aspyr games.

Better late than never :-)

What about Evolve? (or is that rumored to be transgaming project?)

#6 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 02 June 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

What about Evolve? (or is that rumored to be transgaming project?)

I thought Evolve is Feral's 'Depth Charge', or is that LEGO Jurassic World.

#7 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Evolve is probably either Feral or in house, not Aspyr.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#8 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:30 AM

If I had one wish, it would be Aspyr announcing a simultaneous PC and Mac release of the upcoming Fallout 4.

I mean, it's an RPG, right? Blair, am I right?

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Here's something interesting: it looks like Glenda Adams is back with Aspyr! According to her LinkedIn profile, she just rejoined as Publishing Manager.

Glenda of course was the Director of Development for some of Aspyr's most prolific years, and before that ported many seminal titles to the Mac (Deus Ex, System Shock, over a dozen others.) Could be a sign of good things to come from Aspyr.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#10 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 June 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Here's something interesting: it looks like Glenda Adams is back with Aspyr! According to her LinkedIn profile, she just rejoined as Publishing Manager.

Glenda of course was the Director of Development for some of Aspyr's most prolific years, and before that ported many seminal titles to the Mac (Deus Ex, System Shock, over a dozen others.) Could be a sign of good things to come from Aspyr.

That's awesome! You gotta love Glenda. She truly knows her stuff. I wonder what her comeback project will be. :)

macOS Sierra

#11 tcrown

tcrown

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

Jez Sherlock Director of Technology from Aspyr talking about Metal for Mac.

"However, we should not forget that Metal’s origin is mostly with gaming in mind, so this is a big thing for Mac gaming in general. It adds considerable fuel to the idea of Macs as serious gaming machines. I would expect this sort of obvious support to make Mac game development more attractive to new players and, in turn, even more competitive. That’ll mean more games on Mac, more of them doing so natively, and the best ones to come through Aspyr of course!"

http://blog.gameagen...for-mac-gaming/
Mac mini | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | 500GB | 16GB DDR3 | Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

#12 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

That's a very good read, indeed. He's basically saying there's a good chance we'll see DirectX 11 games performing better on Mac than their Windows counterparts once Aspyr 'metalizes' them. It takes effort, but it's worth it. They might even update some of their more demanding older titles. Borderlands 2 finally running better on OS X than Windows on the same hardware. Who would have thought this even a few days ago?

macOS Sierra

#13 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

#14 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 11 June 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Indeed. I can sort of imagine a Metal game approaching or reaching a DX11 game, but I will be very, very surprised if it approaches DX12.

#15 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

Metal has everything necessary to compete with DX12 in terms of performance.

#16 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

jeannot, maybe. But OpenGL has everything necessary to compete with DX11 in terms of performance too, and in the end game performance on OS X compared to Windows is awful. The graphics cards drivers will still be a bottleneck compared to Windows ones, for instance.

#17 tcrown

tcrown

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 June 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

jeannot, maybe. But OpenGL has everything necessary to compete with DX11 in terms of performance too, and in the end game performance on OS X compared to Windows is awful. The graphics cards drivers will still be a bottleneck compared to Windows ones, for instance.

The entire point of Metal is to completely illiminate the driver overhead, you are writing directly to the Gpu, which takes very skilled programers, also why MS is moving DX12 in the same direction as Metal, access directly to the Gpu but Apple is currently ahead in implementation.

Anandtech has a good prelim write-up here.
http://www.anandtech...pples-metal-api
Mac mini | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | 500GB | 16GB DDR3 | Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

#18 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

View Postjeannot, on 12 June 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Metal has everything necessary to compete with DX12 in terms of performance.
Feature-wise Metal is still looking OpenGL ES 3.1 derived + additions. DX11/OGL4/OES3.1+AEP features like geometry shaders and tessellation are not currently supported by Metal. Some developers have questioned the usefulness of geometry shaders so that's probably not a big deal. Tessellation may have performance benefits if it allows developers to start with simpler models and render more details dynamically. DX12 looks to be a superset of existing DX11.2 + additions.

View Posttcrown, on 13 June 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

The entire point of Metal is to completely illiminate the driver overhead, you are writing directly to the Gpu, which takes very skilled programers, also why MS is moving DX12 in the same direction as Metal, access directly to the Gpu but Apple is currently ahead in implementation.

Anandtech has a good prelim write-up here.
http://www.anandtech...pples-metal-api
DX12 should be launching with Windows 10 next month while Metal for Mac and El Capitan probably won't be out until October. Apple may be ahead in mobile but not on PC/Mac. Metal for Mac is based on Metal for iOS but there are differences like a different memory model necessary to accommodate discrete memory, the textures supported are completely different, etc. So developers supporting Metal on iOS is helpful, but there looks to be some additional work involved to support Metal for Mac.

#19 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

Macs nowadays are pretty similar to consoles: Apple controls the OS and the hardware. Across the product lineup are Intel integrated and AMD chips. I think there will be customized dual GPUs in both Mac Pros and Retina iMacs and an AMD card in the high-end MacBook Pro. For a developer this seems to be pretty easy to target and optimize because they know exactly on which Macs their game will run. Even though we might not be able to self-upgrade our GPUs in the future, this new situation seems to be very exciting because we have passionate and competent porters like Aspyr and Feral who know what they do and they will use Metal. We've got a new Mac Pro in the office with Dual FirePro D700s. At the moment there's only one OpenCL enabled game: Civ 5. But it runs like a charm and super smooth. Blair mentioned in the MacRumours forum that it was hard work to get everything running on OS X. If Metal works as promised, we might see all future Aspyr and Feral games using Dual GPUs to its full potential.

macOS Sierra

#20 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

Homeworld remastered hits MAS. Steam release date not specified.
http://blog.gameagen...collection-mac/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aspyr