doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Steam Name:doctorpuppet

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hi all,

So, the Steam page for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified seems to indicate that only a "Logitech Dual Analog Stick Gamepad" (whatever that is) is natively supported. Has anyone had any luck, with or without keymapping/emulation software, with a PS3 or Xbox controller? I know, I know, same old question. I tried emailing Transgaming support, but the silence has been deafening. I wish Feral had ported this XCOM title too. Heck, I wish they would just port everything.

Thanks!

#2 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Update: I ended up buying it on sale (the Steam key, that is) via Green Man Gaming. No luck with either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 controller. Emailed 2K Support. After a couple of days, they emailed me back, only to tell me to email Transgaming, despite the fact that this game is on their list of 2K Mac titles that they specifically offer support for. Transgaming support is as useless as the awful "gaming" stock photos on their website. Makes me wonder if it's just one guy in a suit over there.

I did some snooping around on my own, to try to find the controller config file, to see if that might be useful. I found "XInput.ini," which seems to be promising, through the following folder chain: Library - Application Support - The Bureau - p_drive - c_drive_redirect - c_drive - The Bureau - XGame - Config. I have no real skills at such file modification. Has anyone had any luck with this?

My next step will be to try again, having disabled the 3rd party drivers (for the Xbox controller), as one has to do for Aspyr titles. But given Transgaming's weak Cider approach, I doubt that is the problem.

#3 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

Shoot, I can't even disable the 3rd party drivers. I had stumbled across the suggestion here: http://onlivefans.co...n-be-fixed/357/ But I received the error message: "Failed to unload com.mice.driver.Xbox360Controller - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)."
I downloaded the most recent (I think?) drivers here: https://github.com/d235j/360Controller
Anyone have any suggestions?

#4 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Good news: Despite the error messages, that tip for disabling 3rd party drivers seemed to work, as the controller worked in RAGE (and the 3rd party system preferences panel didn't recognize the controller).

Bad news: It didn't do diddly-doo to help with the original problem with The Bureau.

#5 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

Still no response from Transgaming. 2K is trying to help, but they clearly don't really know anything about Macs. I have uninstalled it for now. I doubt there will be a significant further update at this point, so I will probably just have to Boot Camp it after all, if I am to get controller support working. Too bad, but at least that's an option.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

Any particular reason why you wouldn't play it with Mouse+KB? Its not like a really great game with the controller (or I meant, requires the controller to enjoy the game)... ?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

I am going to assume you're not trying to start one of those classic "controller vs. K&M" flame wars! 1) "Juvenile" arthritis (I am now in my late 30s) and using a K&M all day for work and research mean my mouse hand starts to cramp up if I use it for gaming too much. 2) I myself am a clumsy mouse-aimer. 3) I am also just frustrated because this title is actually supposed to support a gamepad.

I have started a Facebook and Twitter Transgaming-shaming campaign. As Red Robinson used to say, "Join me, won't you?" They should at least answer their emails.

(By "clumsy," I mean I find coordinating mouse aiming with keyboard movement infuriatingly awkward. For something like KOTOR, it doesn't matter much. Heck, it wouldn't matter much for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but since Feral is awesome and includes gamepad support anyway, why not?)

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

Nope, not trying to start a vs war. I use a x360 controller for some games, and m+kb for others. Totally depends on the game though, and which one feels more natural with the control device. I mean, some games i find is more physically painful to play with one control device vs another, and some actually are easier to play.

So I was curious why this particular game you were adamant about a controller. I guess for you, its 'every game' you want to use a controller, not just a specific game. I can understand that.

And yeah... as you noted, not every game works well with controllers. Some simply flat out WONT, no matter what you try!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Well, I don't know about EVERY every game. I think a gamepad would be weird and awkward for anything with the word "Civilization(s)" in it, for example. And many (most?) non-slashy RPGs. I need to dust off Dragon Age: Origins, but that would probably be cumbersome with a gamepad, for example. And strategy and RPG games have been among my favourite genres for years.

But a key difference is that you (generally) aren't constantly having to move/click the mouse. Like an action RPG clickfest, say Diablo or Torchlight: I love them, and a gamepad would probably be weird (although I was hopeful when I saw Van Helsing had gamepad support, but that's all in another posting). But they KILL my hands and fingers.

And again, the point that Steam states "Full controller support," but that isn't actually true, is an entirely different issue.

#10 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

I sure wish I could gamepad my way through revising this bibliography, though. :wall:

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

LOL.

Yeah, I type all day long and clicking so much that I've powered through the pains of carpaltunnel, and now it just all feels normal lol!

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

You can take over then! Heh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: controllers, xcom, steam