#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III to be released tomorrow on Steam

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Steam Name:doctorpuppet

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Has anyone ever been able to get a gamepad to work on the first one? It's supposed to have native support. How about II or now III?

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

I was about to start the first one this weekend. I need to clear it off my queue. I'll try playing it with my 360 controller (I dont have any other kind of gamepad, my old logitech one sucks bad).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Steam Name:doctorpuppet

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

Please let me know. I've been using a PS3 controller for a few years, but I just got an Xbox 360 one as well this week. Rage (Aspyr) is SO much better now. I had been using Gamepad Companion, which was functional, but obviously, native support is vastly superior. (And GC hasn't been updated in ages, and the guy never answers my emails. I think it's probably on its way out.)

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

Turns out I didn't read clearly, I thought this was for the first Van Helsing game. I only have the first.

Speaking strictly Van Helsing I:

After playing it this weekend (it was pretty short, even though I looked in every corner and pilfered everything I could and did every side quest I found, and even ran across a bunch of odd easter eggs)... I can say this game would be absolute hell with a controller even if it did work.

On the left hand, you have at least 14 keys you need to be ready to push. On the right, you got left and right trigger, and if you can manage, a thumb button or two to cover health and mana potions (or something else that may be useful to relieve pressure on the left hand). All this is already too few keys to handle the plethora of things you COULD do, and with how hectic the swarms of battles are... I could not even conceive trying to map all that to a controller where most my fingers are 'out of play' due to the way controllers are.

Unless they dumbed down Van Helsing III SO much to where you can do what you need to do with two thumbs, and two trigger fingers... then I wouldn't bother looking into controllers for it.

Personally I hate "combos" to press just to get a action. Most times it doesnt register them right, or on time, or I'm half a milisecond too late to squeeze fat buttons together... I dunno. There are some games that just kick butt with controllers... and then there are some that are far more enjoyable with a mouse+kb.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: incredible, adventures, van, helsing, neocore, strategy