#1 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

http://toucharcade.c...ublic-2-mobile/

It looks like KOTOR2 is finally coming to Mac and iOS courtesy of Aspyr. I've never played it on Windows, but have read that there's a lot of unfinished content that the modding community has restored. Here's hoping that Aspyr has been given the freedom and resources to not only port and fix bugs, but also officially restore some of the incomplete content. Then even if KOTOR2 is a long time coming to Mac, we'll at least get the definitive edition.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

The restored content mod is essential, so I hope they are able to incorporate it for iOS users. Won't be any way to install it otherwise.

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

I can't imagine they can include the Sith Lords restored mod without serious licensing issues, which makes me sad.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

From what I understand the game is excellent even without the mod. More than anything it completes an excellent game that was not finished. I won't let lack of the mod or ability to install it keep me from playing this on OS X. I just finished the first one ported by Aspyr not too long ago and really enjoyed it. Despite its age there was not a single problem or bug encountered in playing start to finish. The only downside was it is the only Mac port I've bought that did not support widescreen but it did support a reasonably high resolution 4:3 and the game was so engaging I soon forgot about the black bars left and right.

I was going to play Sith Lords in Parallels. I am happy to learn I won't need to do that now. Thanks for sharing the good news.

By the way, I do hope adding the mod is possible somehow. It would be nice to have that too.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 May 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

The only downside was it is the only Mac port I've bought that did not support widescreen but it did support a reasonably high resolution 4:3 and the game was so engaging I soon forgot about the black bars left and right.

Didn't the Mac port support 4:3 resolutions, that could be stretched to fullscreen?

#6 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 18 May 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

Didn't the Mac port support 4:3 resolutions, that could be stretched to fullscreen?

Nope, the highest resolution I could go to is 1600x1200.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#7 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

True.
I just vaguely remember playing it on an iMac G5 in 1024x768 which could be stretched to appear as fullscreen, without the black bars.
But I guess on newer Macs 1600x1200 is preferable.

I just tried to get the old retail version to run on my rMBP, but it keeps asking for the original DVD-ROM.
I guess it is time to buy all those Aspyr ports again from the Mac App Store.

#8 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 18 May 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

True.
I just vaguely remember playing it on an iMac G5 in 1024x768 which could be stretched to appear as fullscreen, without the black bars.
But I guess on newer Macs 1600x1200 is preferable.

I just tried to get the old retail version to run on my rMBP, but it keeps asking for the original DVD-ROM.
I guess it is time to buy all those Aspyr ports again from the Mac App Store.

I'm waiting till they put them on GOG, which will hopefully happen this year...

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

View Postipickert55, on 18 May 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'm waiting till they put them on GOG, which will hopefully happen this year...

I wondered if the GameAgent blog article about GOG (I think it was about the Galaxy client?) wasn't a hint of things to come. Why else would an Aspyr blog bother to mention GOG?

I'd purchase a new classic game release but I'm not replacing the ones I already own which once played I probably won't ever have time to revisit while they still function on the ever changing OS X.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 May 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

I wondered if the GameAgent blog article about GOG (I think it was about the Galaxy client?) wasn't a hint of things to come. Why else would an Aspyr blog bother to mention GOG?

I wouldn't read too much into it. Of course their coverage of Aspyr titles has been ongoing, but they make a point of covering non-Aspyr news too (and the GameAgent site sells non-Aspyr titles for that matter.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#11 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

Aspyr has been negotiating with GOG.com for quite some time -- I think they want to be on the platform, but they still need to find the 'perfect conditions'.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 May 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

From what I understand the game is excellent even without the mod. More than anything it completes an excellent game that was not finished.

Yes, Obsidian was forced to release the game before it was finished by its publisher. I've only played KOTOR II with the mod, but from what I understand that without it, the ending of the game is a muddled mess. The mod also patches a ton of bugs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KOTOR2, Star Wars