MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

Have you read about return of mDNSresponder in 10.10.4 beta? (replaced by discoverd in 10.10.0) -> http://arstechnica.c...o-fix-dns-bugs/
What a high quality engineering.

#62 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Manager: "What? Fix a multi-year old bug with a core service called archive utility so it stops making corrupted zips? HELL NO I want you to spend your time on making this UI border FATTER so people feel forced to buy a bigger monitor from us!"

Engineer: "wtf?"

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#63 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

Well, hopefully the rumored focus on quality and fixes with limited new features in 10.11 will come to pass. I could wish for UI appearance improvements but I know that isn't happening or at least I cannot imagine that happening. Jony just got himself a promotion. Bring on Flavours 2! Might need Flavours 2.x soon thereafter though.

Back to the gaming hardware options discussion... For now I am married to my late-2013 iMac for the next two years or so. I hope there is some decent option to consider then. I guess we'll see but I suspect I'll probably be looking at whatever the top end 27" iMac is again. It is expensive but for someone who wants one machine and wants that machine to be a Mac running OS X, what other option will there be for that amount of money?
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#64 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 16 May 2015 - 03:12 AM, said:

As for Yosemite, I haven't had such stability issues for more than 10 years; worse OS X release ever.

It's not that bad in most ways I prefer it to Mountain Lion. The iOS syncing features like handoff (I know you don't use it) is so very useful for me is an added bonus. There were a few regressions in parts but if you want to talk about OS X revisions that had issues I can list a few that were painful to use especially on launch. 10.2 and older were (looking back) very rough in terms of the user experience you'd expect. Even the more modern ones had some horrible driver bugs and networking issues that cropped up.

That said I have seen a few Yosemite machines act really poorly and unreliable including my rMBP. I have found the fix was the standard nuclear one. Reinstall the OS after reformatting the drive then (and this is the important bit) do NOT recover your account from a backup. Make a new user account and manually move over the data and preferences you need. Time consuming sure but for me it did make a big difference. Making a new user on your current OS is a quick and easy test. I find after upgrading your OS your user account and sometimes the OS itself can build up some detritus slowing it down and making it less stable.

You might have tried all this already but figured just in case you haven't give it a go.

Oh, and don't get me started on Photos, which I find much less intuitive than iPhoto was (I'm not and probably never will be an iOS user, at least by choice, so maybe that's why I don't get it).

iPhoto was like old yella, it needed taking outside and being shot. Photos is very slimmed down but it works better on my Mac without the massive slowdowns even with 80+ GB of photos. Also for me the iOS auto syncing is handy although I know you don't need that.

I agree the "simple" UI isn't to everyones tastes and it's not how I would have designed it myself but at least it's better than iPhoto was which by the end was nigh on unusable for me.

I end up spending most of my computer time (which is also a large chunk of my non work time!) using Windows 8.1, which though not stellar either, isn't so bad. I have more expectations from Windows 10 than OS X 10.11, and although I've been a Mac user for almost 30 years, I wonder how long that will remain the case. Sad, isn't it?

I'd hold out a little hope, from what I have seen and heard 10.11 runs much quicker and smoother on older Mac's it feels more like the early OS X days when the new OS was just like the previous OS just faster and easier to use. However I'm going to hold off any final recommendations until the final GM ships.

Edwin

#65 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Photos speed is certainly impressive and I ditched iPhoto and Aperture straight away because I didn't want to spend time maintaining multiple apps.

It's a little feature bare at the moment for sure but standard Apple practice when something is getting long in the tooth seems to be start fresh again and add the features back again slowly so I'm sure it will get there.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#66 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 June 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

It's not that bad in most ways I prefer it to Mountain Lion. The iOS syncing features like handoff (I know you don't use it) is so very useful for me is an added bonus. There were a few regressions in parts but if you want to talk about OS X revisions that had issues I can list a few that were painful to use especially on launch. 10.2 and older were (looking back) very rough in terms of the user experience you'd expect. Even the more modern ones had some horrible driver bugs and networking issues that cropped up.

Oh lawd. Yeah, I had a "frak around with this new thing" secondary drive in my PowerMac G4 back in the day for playing with Puma, but there's no way in hell I was switching over from OS9 until a little while after Jaguar (or Jagwire according to Steve) hit and it actually became a real OS. I didn't fully switch till Panther.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#67 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:02 AM

View Postmattw, on 18 June 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Photos speed is certainly impressive and I ditched iPhoto and Aperture straight away because I didn't want to spend time maintaining multiple apps.

It's a little feature bare at the moment for sure but standard Apple practice when something is getting long in the tooth seems to be start fresh again and add the features back again slowly so I'm sure it will get there.
Tell that to the iWork package. It has gained a few minor features since release, and then nothing. Except for a gazillion emojis.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#68 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:05 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 June 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

Tell that to the iWork package. It has gained a few minor features since release, and then nothing. Except for a gazillion emojis.
Whenever terrorism is in the news and becomes a topic of conversation, my cousin sends me the emoji of the guy in a turban, followed by the explosion emoji. Been going on forever and I still can't help laughing on the spot when the iMessage comes in. Those emojis cover everything.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#69 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

I don't like Eddy Cue, he has shifty eyes.

#70 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

This just in, sort of. I guess it's old news that has recently been revealed publicly and that is Apple's keychain has been hacked and an app breaking in to prove it made it into the app store. The researchers involved claim they'd been in contact with Apple about this since late last year and after one fix that did not fix it and all this time they decided to go public to "help Apple" and end users.

Sorry, I forget where the hell I read that today. I think it was on Computerworld but anyway it'll get some press attention I imagine.

I never trusted that myself although I think some stuff like your AppleID goes there whether you like it or not anyway. I never use any kind of password manager because Lastpass, etc. would, did and will happen again possibly worse down the road. I just keep the key few for anything involving the exchange of money in my head and all the other sites I visit share simple easy to remember ones because I could not care less if they were compromised. All I have to do in that event is make a new account I guess. No biggie. I find this to be simpler and a hell of a lot safer.

I mean, putting a master password on all your other passwords is a great way to offer up a single point of entry to everything and to allow that to live somewhere on the web where of course it will be a target particularly in the case of password managers is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

#71 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:55 AM

DirtyHarry, a password manager isn't a bad thing, but an offline app is much less sensible to attacks. I use 1Password, which has OS X, Windows and Android versions, so I'm covered on every platform I use (and there's iOS too for iThing users). I used to use Web Confidential which isn't bad either, but is OS X and Windows only, so I needed to switch because of no smartphones support (well, Web Confidential has a Palm OS version too, remember those? But no modern platform.).

#72 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

I never trust a 'cloud' solution to anything regarding anything I would actually care about. Passwords being the #1 thing I care about, I would thusly never allow them to go outside local hardware.

I use keychain, but locally. It doesnt cloud it off thank goodness. But that is because I use 10.6.8. When (if?!) I upgrade to a newer more stupid OSX, I will have to change my entire password storage schematic, if keychain in newer OSX are blasting their stuff to some cloud somewhere. Eff dat shizzle... I'll go back to writing it all down on paper and sticking it into a firesafe again =p

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#73 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3818 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Just use two factor login if you are so paranoid.

Personally, I think the iCloud Keychain is awesome. So many passwords, and I don't have to remember them, yay! For the important stuff, I have two factor authorization.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#74 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

Here is more detail than the bit I was mentioning from memory:

http://www.macworld....-passwords.html

#75 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 16 May 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Lets see:
  • How many new feature have been added to Mac App Store + Gamecenter ecosystem since launch? Those two things are joke.
  • State of OpenGL in OS X is shamefull for company with gazillion dolars in bank.
  • I would be ok with new Mac Pro if someone would sell those special form-factor GPUs so it can be upgraded.
  • iTunes 11 UI is total mess, Photos.app UI doesn't make any sense to me.
I did YoYo clean install on my iMacwhen they released 10.10.3. Only issues I have encountered are contained in Mail.app.

the game center thing could have been huge...seriously what are those management dude in apple thinking

#76 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:51 AM

View Posthenryfakesmile, on 19 October 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

the game center thing could have been huge...seriously what are those management dude in apple thinking
Agreed. They are not thinking about it (gaming experience) at all. That's the problem :-)

#77 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3818 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:05 AM

Considering how big iOS gaming is, you have to assume that the Apple board is permanently high on some bad popsnizzle.

#78 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Game Center is the biggest social gaming network in the world with 392 million+ active accounts. Unbelievable. It's still not possible to properly search for users or chat with your friends via iMessage. :thumbdown:
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe