• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

Paging Master Frost.

Any experience with this software?

http://dimmdrive.com

I have 14 gigs in my Mac Pro and 16 gigs in my DerpyPC. This looks very interesting for super easy RAM disks for your games.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3806 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

I would expect a major improvement over en SSD.

Edit: That was wrong: I *wouldn't* except a major increase over an SSD, in real time scenarios with games! (That's what you get for going to IMG when you are at work)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Never heard of it. I have used ROG RAMdisk and it is stupid fast, but it's too annoying to manually configure all the time, so I stopped using it.

I'm going to have to check this out!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostFrost, on 06 May 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Never heard of it. I have used ROG RAMdisk and it is stupid fast, but it's too annoying to manually configure all the time, so I stopped using it.

I'm going to have to check this out!

yes, I have used the AMD tool in the past but the effort was too much. This integrates with steam but all the reviews on steam are BAD but when you read a lot of them it seems to me like people aren't understanding what the app does and how it does it. One review was all I have 4GB RAM and this kept crashing. Uhhhh duhhhhhhh. Let me try and stick 10GB of game in 1GB of RAM

But you should buy it and tell me if its a gud be for I drop 30 dolans on it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 06 May 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

But you should buy it and tell me if its a gud be for I drop 30 dolans on it.

LOL you buy it and be the patient zero! HA!

This sounds like the ole ramdisk days... this is new? I'm betting boot times are pretty nasty as it fills up ram from hdd. However if this does work right, it may eliminate micro-jumps during disk to ram activity during texture heavy games. However I wouldn't expect a wide sweeping improvement of all games with this. It would definitely be kind of a case by case basis improvement sort of thing. Cheaper than buying a dedicated SSD for just a couple games though, so... interesting.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 06 May 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

LOL you buy it and be the patient zero! HA!

This sounds like the ole ramdisk days... this is new? I'm betting boot times are pretty nasty as it fills up ram from hdd. However if this does work right, it may eliminate micro-jumps during disk to ram activity during texture heavy games. However I wouldn't expect a wide sweeping improvement of all games with this. It would definitely be kind of a case by case basis improvement sort of thing. Cheaper than buying a dedicated SSD for just a couple games though, so... interesting.

Yes, I loved old mac RAM disks. I have read the load time into RAM can take a bit (depending on the speed of your mechanical drive) but that just gives you time to go take a tinkle. Then megatenchufasturgame.

I have heard the developer is going to add SSD functionality too so you can have it auto cache games to the RAM disk or an SSD. Frost should defiantly be patient zero for us.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

It would be really cool if it did somehow tie into steam where you could opt specific games to be handled that way. The juggle of where to install stuff, is kind of a mess in steam already. But then, so is with MGS's app too haha... its not an easy thing to write for with so many conditions and unknowns in developers work.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

I think the last time I used a RAM disk was to load MS-DOS 3.3 into one so I wouldn't have to swap floppy disks so much. I wanted a 10 MB hard drive but poor me with my no-name XT clone had to make due with just a 5 1/4 360k floppy drive. I gamed with a hercules card on an orange monochrome screen with a fancy kraft joystick, flying the friendly skies with an early version of MS Flight Simulator back when you could count the polygons displayed on your fingers. :D

What's great looking back is how incredible and amazing I thought that was at the time. I felt like I was really flying. It was just the coolest thing ever.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell