High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

GTA V was developed in four years. Star Citizen is now in development for… four years.

GTA V was in development from 2008 to 2014 (or 2015 if you count the Windows version). The SC crowdfunding started in October 2012. Rockstar created a game by improving on their own engine with an existing team and an existing gameplay as well as development formula. SC began with about 4 people and an engine not even remotely designed for their dream and got funded into pushing themselves further than initially planned and they now attempt to create a sandbox game unlike anything out there as well as a single player game at the same time as well as creating the team, methods and everything while doing it. I'm impressed with what they've accomplished with that in mind.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#82 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 04 December 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

I'm impressed with what they've accomplished with that in mind.

I'm not. Wanna go to the irish pub and drink about it? And then forget why we where there at all. And then end up on a high rise with tBC and two lions.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#83 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

Poor lions. The rest sounded fine though.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#84 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:27 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 04 December 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

GTA V was in development from 2008 to 2014 (or 2015 if you count the Windows version). The SC crowdfunding started in October 2012.
GTA V was released in 2013. Star Citizen's development started way before the crowdfunding campaign in 2011.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#85 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

Sorry, forgot that they released it for Xbox 360 and PS3 as well... But the current gen release was 2014 and Windows 2015, so I stand by my statement.

At the time of the crowdfunding campaign, the star citizen "team" was 7 people if I recall it right and all they had was a proof of concept made in an older version of the cry engine. Their own crowdfunding ran between October 10th and November 19th 2012, and the Kickstarter ran in parallel between October 19 to November 19. They just held their three year anniversary.

Feel free to hate, but do so with the right information.

***END MESSAGE***

#86 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

Holy Moly.

***END MESSAGE***

#87 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 16 December 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

Someone teach that boy how to land. Geez, that landing should have been done in 10 seconds max!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#88 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 December 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Someone teach that boy how to land. Geez, that landing should have been done in 10 seconds max!

We - Elite players - are masters of landings :-D

#89 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

Currently Star Citizen is free to fly until January 2nd (or so I think). Just use the link below, download the client and have a taste of the future. I'm sorry to sound like a salesman, but even as a really early alpha this game is completely unique. I've played several hours of Elite Dangerous and enjoyed it, but compared to E:D's 400 billion star systems, Star Citizen Alpha 2.0's single planet with moons have given me a far greater sense of exploration and mystique... and I have not felt such space immersion since the original X-Wing game. Seriously, it's free right now, try it out! Use the link here to get extra currency in game if you like it and purchase it. No strings attached.

Also, next year the price will increase when they get closer to Squadron 42's release (the single player game) because they will split the starter package into the MMO and the single player, right now you get both and alpha access and a ship for $45, and no you don't have to pay a cent more if you don't want to back the development more, everything will be purchasable with in game currency. Also, they've announced that they will be forced to match the EU prices to match the increased value of the dollar next year, so it will not be cheaper than now for a very very long time, if ever.

Seriously, I want to play this game (and Elite) with you guys, so post your handles here and add whaleman to you buddies if you already have the game so we have a chance to play a truly unique game together.

***END MESSAGE***

#90 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Note the referral bonus cash only works if you are signing up a new Citizen account. When I tried to use his referral code when I picked up the starter package... it was like "HAHAHA you already signed up to us 3 years ago, he doesnt get it!" Soooo, its for truly new people to the scene :)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#91 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

Are we playing the same alpha? Is there like a top secret has actual cool stuff in it alpha? :wacko:

CR has to get more new fresh bloods to feed the machine. I've been trying to keep the faith but that budget sounds brokenman.

My love handles are too much for you to handles.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#92 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

You two are like polar opposites. I have a feeling the game is gonna not deliver enough as hoped, and deliver more than expected, and both of you will end up in the middle with the rest of us blokes ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#93 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

Shall we compare? In E:D you can:

Shoot at ships
Shoot at rocks (mining)
Move invisible (unless you get shot) things from point a to point b.
Now you can also land on barren rocks and soot on rocks or stations if you pay $60
Do multiplayer death match
Do repetitive missions with very little story

In SC 2.0 you can

Shoot at ships with ships
Shoot at people with ships
Shoot at ships with guns
Shoot at people with guns
Have 0G gunfights while EVA
Crew multi crew ships
Walk around ships while in space
Steal ships
Board ships (really hard atm since you have to EVA)
Walk around the stations
EVA in derelict stations
Do repetitive missions with a bit more backstory
Move objects around in space and lots of crazy open physics sandbox stuff
Multiplayer death match, CTF, swarm
Racing
Run over people with cars

I probably missed stuff for both, and I enjoy them both but ED has an extremely limited, forced forced game mechanic while SC actually feels like you're free to do what you want, even if most of what you can actually do isn't implemented.

***END MESSAGE***

#94 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Now lets compare both to EVE ...

In EVE, you ... uh ... watch a screensaver while you go play any of the other games to have some real fun.

-Fm [1oM7]

#95 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

I think macdude is just being a negative nancy at this point. :P

I was starting to wonder what the hell they were doing this summer, but I think the new alpha proves they're still on track, it was just taking them a while with the rewrites and backend upgrades just as they claimed. It's finally actually starting to come together. Looking fantastic thus far!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#96 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:04 PM

View PostFrost, on 19 December 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Indeed. They had totaled $90M in Oct, and total $100M now. $5M a month before any investment returns is a lot of development, even if they have to invest some of it for future work.

#97 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

Looks fantastic. Still lacking most of the game part though.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#98 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostFrost, on 19 December 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

I was starting to wonder what the hell they were doing this summer, but I think the new alpha proves they're still on track, it was just taking them a while with the rewrites and backend upgrades just as they claimed. It's finally actually starting to come together. Looking fantastic thus far!

Welp I tried to download the latest alpha and it said it was going to take a couple millennia so I gave up.

Posted Image

I'll stop being a negative Nancy when they fraking release what I paid them for. So far I have a card. I don't have wing commander Remastered. I have a card. And it's been patching for 3 days so as far as I can still I still have a card. In SC 2.0 I can look at my card. WOWOWOWOWOWO AWESOME. These guys make Tim Schafer look like the picture of project management.

#99 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Did I mention I have a card?

#100 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

I wanna clear something up. I backed this project before it went on kickstarter. I've been there since day one. Maybe this thing it's become looks different if you've come into it later on. Coming in later on you’ve dived right into this ocean of a pitch. in 2012, pre kickstarter, Roberts asked for a seemingly reasonable amount of money for a what appeared to be a pitch for reasonable game. At this time the mission based component was being heavily advertised as a core component. Wing Commander was referenced all over the original 2012 RSI website. Fast forward 3 years. I don’t see anything but broken promises and an arguably impressive tech demo. I don’t care if bloated budget let them expand the game scope into who knows what. It’s not what I was sold. It’s not what’s been delivered. Frankly I expect I’ll eventually get what I paid for in the form of squadron 42 and it will end up being decent. The folks that have been sinking thousands of dollars into this sales pitch, those are the folks that are going to be truly disappointed.

In regards to SC vs. Elite. I can log on and buy a complete game with Elite. They are now expanding on that complete game. Until there is an actual release of Star Citizen not Alpha x.whatever Frontier gets the point. This is the route Roberts should have taken. Period. Released the original pitch and used his massive wealth to expand on that afterwards.

I'll try to be less negative on SC but I make no promises.

Can we at least agree Star Trek Online is the wurst?