130 replies to this topic

#61 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

I guess I'm done taking cheap shots at this game for now. I'll wait until there's some substantive news or actual release before I'll comment again. Could be years! (*)

(*) Okay, THAT was my last cheap shot. :-)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#62 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 10 October 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

And they just announced a bunch of high profile voice talent.....
I notice a high amount of alumni of different incarnations of Wing Commander among them…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#63 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

If anybody would like to back it at this late point (and still have hope it comes out a semi-finished product, as I do), feel free to use STAR-9HJ5-VKPV as a referral code to get 5k extra starting credits. I'm looking forward to Alpha 1.3 and 2.0 to see the progress. It's not like they don't do anything... lot's of status updates and semi-regular patches to the Alpha, so they haven't run out of money yet ;) I hope it's just bad buzz generated out of jealousy, stupidity and even (as some rumours point at) misogyny (shame of them to have a female PR front figure apparently); because this project has a lot of potential and if it fails it's because of aiming to high and trying too hard, which is a noble way to go.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#64 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

>if it fails it's because of aiming to high and trying too hard, which is a noble way to go.

I suppose. But not knowing your own limits, not managing customer expectations, and/or selling beyond your ability to deliver are not themselves noble traits. So it's possible to spin a failure more than one way..

But they haven't failed yet. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#65 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 October 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

But they haven't failed yet. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

I hope it works out to all of our satisfaction. Me, I really enjoy racing in my glorified tow truck :) Feels like 3 dimensional drifting ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#66 LadyZarjah

LadyZarjah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:05 AM

Experienced my first bug :) The main thrusters on my Mustang Alpha stopped working, making manoeuvring a bit difficult. But all in all, I'm really impressed with the game so far.
Ran out cake years go... never stopped trying.

#67 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

So, in celebration of alpha 2.0 (almost) being released, CIG has opened up Arena Commander for free for all registered accounts the coming week (instead of just backers) with three ships to pick from. So without risking any capital, sign up here, download the client and try it out. Worst case you get bonus credits if you end up buying the game ;)

Unfortunately 2.0 has not made it off the test servers yet, they hit a blocker bug in the last minute, so if you don't want to download 30GB twice, you can wait 'til early next week. But still.... FREE is free. Also, if you played Elite dangerous, be prepared that SC ships are hell of a lot more agile.

***END MESSAGE***

#68 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Alpha 2.0

/fallsover

Call me when Squadron 42, the thing I paid them money for (even before they hit kickstarter), gets released.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#69 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 December 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Alpha 2.0

/fallsover

Call me when Squadron 42, the thing I paid them money for (even before they hit kickstarter), gets released.

That is actually really looking like it's on track for next year. What they do right now is implementing whatever they need for SQ42 into the persistent universe as well so they can work on both projects at once, but Squadron 42 is actually the higher priority right now. People just yell at them if they don't throw out new goodies to try out.

***END MESSAGE***

#70 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

All I know is salesman roberts told me in 2012 if I gave him money I was going to get Wing Commander 2.0 in 2 years. After giving him all the monies Oct 17, 2012 I've seen is not Squadron 42. I recall some large blurbs about how we love single player so much on the original Cloud Imperium backer site (I backed before kickstarter). The site has changed so much and so much has been retcon'd it's hard to say. So I'll keep yelling like the old man until I get my Wang Commander 2.0 not Team Fortress: Spaceships .25

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#71 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 04 December 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Unfortunately 2.0 has not made it off the test servers yet, they hit a blocker bug in the last minute, so if you don't want to download 30GB twice, you can wait 'til early next week. But still.... FREE is free. Also, if you played Elite dangerous, be prepared that SC ships are hell of a lot more agile.

30 GB twice. Haven't they heard of delta updates? ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#72 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 04 December 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

People just yell at them if they don't throw out new goodies to try out.
Well, it's not as if CIG hasn't failed to deliver certain new goodies like the first-person module that had been promised to be released months ago.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#73 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 December 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

It's good enough for Microsoft.......No really, Office 2016 has not had delta updates. My guy tells me they hear us and are coming though. Its fine, just push out several gigs of updates per machine several times a month for several hundred machines over wireless. That pleases the network folk. Pllllleeeeaaaases them.

#74 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 December 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

All I know is salesman roberts told me in 2012 if I gave him money I was going to get Wing Commander 2.0 in 2 years. After giving him all the monies Oct 17, 2012 I've seen is not Squadron 42. I recall some large blurbs about how we love single player so much on the original Cloud Imperium backer site (I backed before kickstarter). The site has changed so much and so much has been retcon'd it's hard to say. So I'll keep yelling like the old man until I get my Wang Commander 2.0 not Team Fortress: Spaceships .25

Posted Image

Well, people threw more money at them and that basically gave them two choices. Take the extra money and run or use them and develop an even better game... or two. Sure they could probably have developed a game with 1/12th the current budget in two years, but given the choice I rather give them double the time for a more polished and expanded product.

View PostFrigidman™, on 04 December 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

Well, 2.0 includes updated models and physics and a whole new area, so it's not much left of 1.3 once you've updated.

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Well, it's not as if CIG hasn't failed to deliver certain new goodies like the first-person module that had been promised to be released months ago.

They're quite open about that and the reason is that they outsourced it and wasn't completely satisfied with the end result, so they're polishing it internally.

This is a game that will make GTA look like a hypercard based game, and people complain it's not done in half the time of GTA V....

***END MESSAGE***

#75 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

It's going to be an advanced HyperStudio game!. Why didn't you tell me. I take back all those mean things I said.

#76 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

Don't you mean a HyperCard Stack game?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#77 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

Naw man, Hyper Studio. The awesome ultra way better than hyper card tool.

http://www.mackiev.com/hyperstudio/

Posted Image

#78 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

I did a bunch of hypercard apps.  Couple of games for my nieces and nephews too.  One was a Mr. Potato Head game where the kid makes a potato head from parts then prints it and colors it.  The other was a word game where the punk fills in a list of nouns, vowels, adverbs, and adjectives which are then randomly plugged into a formula story.  This one can get pretty funny.  It's based on a text game I played on a mainframe in school.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#79 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 04 December 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

This is a game that will make GTA look like a hypercard based game, and people complain it's not done in half the time of GTA V....
GTA V was developed in four years. Star Citizen is now in development for… four years.

#80 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 December 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

I did a bunch of hypercard apps.  Couple of games for my nieces and nephews too.  One was a Mr. Potato Head game where the kid makes a potato head from parts then prints it and colors it.  The other was a word game where the punk fills in a list of nouns, vowels, adverbs, and adjectives which are then randomly plugged into a formula story.  This one can get pretty funny.  It's based on a text game I played on a mainframe in school.

Hehe! I have a couple too, lost to the dust of magnetic media floppies... but they were neat. A couple adventures.

-Fm [1oM7]