#41 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 01 October 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

They don’t have enough money to finish. They need more. They are using crazy "donation" ships to keep funding past promises.
They had $90Mm, some, what, $40Mm over the past year and a half or so. Even a Gearbox AAA game funded by an unrelated license would spend that budget over a few years, so their continued funding plus mad bank could sustain them for a while (incl. time already spent).  If they invested some of their money, they'd receive up to $3-4Mm/year in distributions indefinitely. I don't know their burn rate, but rumours seem to suggest they've even scaled that back. The shamelessly exorbitant ship prices are way too high: high enough to conceivably even pay for a couple people to string together existing/shared interiors/modules and model/animate exterior pieces with a handful of sales.

Given that they're headed for retail and subscription revenue sooner or later, and maybe expansions after that, plus that they've shown some progress fairly regularly, it's certainly possible they could keep going. But, of course, they could easily just blow it all too soon and dig deeper.

#42 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

IF the rumors are to be believed they have been burning 3+ mil a month and are down to 8 mil cash on hand. This fraking over priced 1 thousand dollar ship that won't be implemented for 4 years if ever seems to jive with OMGBBQIRCNZB we need moar cash flow.

Look, I don't want this thing to fail. I backed it BEFORE the kickstarter. But, BUT, this monstrocity they claim is going to release is also not the same game they were billing back then. I dunno. Worst case I'm out 60 bucks and was relatively entertained by the drama. :P
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#43 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3803 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

You can always request a refund, as per Kickstarter rules.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#44 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 October 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

And then get banned for life by, OMG those RSI guys. Like, if that matters.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 October 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

I backed before they did the kickstarter.

Besides if i requested a refund then I couldn't complain. Where's the fun in that. :happy:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 01 October 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

…meanwhile, more reports are cropping up that SC's development is deep into trouble, among others claiming that 90% of the $90 million have already been wasted on things not related to the actual game.

Looks like this one might not actually be legit, Escapist didn't properly vet their sources (disgruntled employees providing IDs with names blacked out when apparently they don't even issue company IDs), and this is the latest salvo in Derek Smart's poo-flinging contest.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#47 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostFrost, on 04 October 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Looks like this one might not actually be legit, Escapist didn't properly vet their sources (disgruntled employees providing IDs with names blacked out when apparently they don't even issue company IDs), and this is the latest salvo in Derek Smart's poo-flinging contest.
The Escapist claims otherwise, so it's their word against Roberts'. I have also seen Roberts' full response, though, and he's also expertly flinging poo: He apparently spent more time personally attacking Smart and the writer of the article than actually responding to the allegation made by the Escapist's sources.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#48 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:01 AM

I dunno. I'm thinking both are true: the game is in trouble, and some shoddy journalists are sensing blood and went too far with their "reporting". It's about par for internet news, but that bar is pretty low.

I will not be happy to see Smart vindicated if this thing fails. He's no hero either. I'd rather see SC succeed, but its hard to see how they can do it. Even if they ship, so many people were promised so many different games that it's hard to see how it's going to work out.

Unless it's all brilliant of course, but what are the chances? If they run out of money they'll have to ship what they've got and hope it sustains another round of funding. Or else it remains unfinished and unpolished game like Duke Nukem Forever.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#49 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 October 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

Unless it's all brilliant of course, but what are the chances? If they run out of money they'll have to ship what they've got and hope it sustains another round of funding. Or else it remains unfinished and unpolished game like Duke Nukem Forever.

You know if you play DNF by 2000 standards it's not all that bad. Not 60 bucks new, not bad, but 7 dollars on sale not bad.

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 October 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

You know if you play DNF by 2000 standards it's not all that bad. Not 60 bucks new, not bad, but 7 dollars on sale not bad.
But DNF took "only" about $25 million to make, not $90 million…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 October 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

But DNF took "only" about $25 million to make, not $90 million…

DNF was only a "tasteless" first person shooter though, Star Citizen is aiming quite a bit higher than that.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#52 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

SC is one big clusterf*ck that's going to ruin more than a few professional lives before the whole thing implodes and spawns a few documentaries.

Business/dev/gaming programs, take note: this is what feature creep and lack of oversight looks like on a huge scale.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#53 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostWhaleman, on 07 October 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

DNF was only a "tasteless" first person shooter though, Star Citizen is aiming quite a bit higher than that.

I kind of like the way duke tastes. :o

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

I rather enjoyed boobie boppin and... just them in general.  It was a hell of a lot more satisfying than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostAtticus, on 07 October 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

SC is one big clusterf*ck that's going to ruin more than a few professional lives before the whole thing implodes and spawns a few documentaries.

Business/dev/gaming programs, take note: this is what feature creep and lack of oversight looks like on a huge scale.

There's a lot to be said for the planning and oversight of a project manager who is someone specifically hired for that purpose and is not otherwise involved in development. I get the feeling a lot of these failed projects are "managed" by people who's forte is game design not product management. They are not business people and it would seem they don't spend to bring those people on board. Of course, how many creative minds want to hire a project manager to reign them in regularly and keep them on a set schedule of planned deliverables that leads to a tested release shipping pretty close to on time barring unforeseen technical problems? I think that is exactly where a lot of crowd funded projects go terribly wrong. These guys, especially the high profile ones don't want to be told what to do and to answer to a publisher that demands they stick to a design that is reasonable and deliver on a schedule for a planned budget.

I get the feeling that companies who deliver the goods like Obsidian did probably invested in someone to oversee project management who was qualified for the position based on their real world experiences in professional development. On the other hand that choice does not seem to have been made here or if it was the person doing the job is being largely ignored by whoever hired them.

I could be wrong as I'm not there of course to see who is doing what, etc. but that is my suspicion based on what i see happening at times including this one just reading comments here as I don't follow what is going on with this game. I hope against the odds it turns out okay but it doesn't sound very promising. A software design should really be pretty much set in stone early on and I get the impression that doesn't happen sometimes in crowd funded games development.

It must be really tough sledding for the development team as a whole when they are led by people who don't know how to manage a large scale software project. I pity them.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#56 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

All correct. SC is what happens when you give a starry-eyed dev millions of dollars and have no controls in place. As I've posted elsewhere, devs might hate the suits upstairs, but they have a job to do: keep everything on track. Obviously, the flip side is rushed, buggy releases, but--at least they get released (and then patched later)!

And I think as more accusations start to fly, Roberts will just circle the wagons even tighter. He'll never admit there's a problem, even as the ship is going down. Oh well.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#57 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

And they just announced a bunch of high profile voice talent.....

#58 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

How does a game thats not even released and appears to be but a pile of bolts have a convention?????? Is this what going insane feels like?

#59 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 10 October 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

And they just announced a bunch of high profile voice talent.....

Who were already hired, did their work, and are done. Filming, mocap, and voicework for the single-player game are already done as of I think a couple months ago. They just kept everything under wraps till now. Again, (legitimate) concerns about the MMO bit aside, I don't think they're going to have trouble getting the single-player game out, and that will probably propel them enough to finish other stuff whether they have the funds for it right now or not (which they claim they do and there hasn't been any hard evidence to the contrary).

View Postmacdude22, on 10 October 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

How does a game thats not even released and appears to be but a pile of bolts have a convention?????? Is this what going insane feels like?

They had one at the same time in 2013 and 2014 too; it's not really unexpected.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#60 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3803 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

I justed watched some of the footage from the Con. I still don't see a game though, just shiny tech demoes, that in most cases doesn't actually look fun in any way. The only part that looked interesting, was the inspection of a derelict space station, but even that had still miles to go.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter