#121 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Right. In ED I spend far more time using lateral thrusters, than actually just having my main thrusters at ... some % of 'forward'. I dont like flying like an airplane while in space, I want to be sliding sideways, and rolling around roids and targets. If I'm not going backwards while laying holes into something, then I'm just not enjoying the space-sim :)

When I was doing the flight training in SC, I was all over the place because ED is very 'slow' (? is that the term ?) in response and movement, that I was so used to simply keeping lateral thrust mashed down as I pull on the stick or roll. Unfortunately in SC, that results in flinging out and way out of control and basically always blacking out LOL!!!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#122 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 05 February 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

I dont like flying like an airplane while in space, I want to be sliding sideways, and rolling around roids and targets. If I'm not going backwards while laying holes into something, then I'm just not enjoying the space-sim :)

My man. :D

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. I love flying in atmosphere, don't get me wrong, but I want space to feel like space, not a sorta-approximation of space with artificial limits to make it more like fixed-wing atmospheric flight. That's half of why I like chopper sims so much; there's SO much more freedom of movement.

If you've got the flight control system on Cruise it'll feel a lot more like E:D, but in SCM (Space Combat Maneuvering) it's much freer. Cruise being flight at really high speeds using main engines, mainly for traveling or closing distance quickly, and SCM is where you slow down for engagements so that you're not fighting huge momentum differences, and you fly mainly using your array of maneuvering thrusters.

When I was doing the flight training in SC, I was all over the place because ED is very 'slow' (? is that the term ?) in response and movement, that I was so used to simply keeping lateral thrust mashed down as I pull on the stick or roll. Unfortunately in SC, that results in flinging out and way out of control and basically always blacking out LOL!!!

It probably doesn't help that they stick you in the fastest, most maneuverable dogfighter in the game for flight training either. They should've used the slower, heavier Hornet fighters. They're a lot more forgiving and have some heft to their handling characteristics, making it a lot easier to acclimate. Then you can go crazy in an ultra-nimble dogfighter if you want.

But yeah, SC, your Z-axis control doesn't really have any artificial limits on it other than the maneuvering thruster power for the particular craft you're flying, especially if you're flying decoupled (flight control computer off). Kind of like slamming down the rudder pedal on a chopper that's traveling at low speed. You'll flip around right quick, probably accompanied by copious slide!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#123 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

And, I was doing a whole lot of that copious sliding ..............................

I still need to tweak the controls. I was having issues with the 'reticle' getting somehow stuck to, well, no where near center. This then presented me with having to fly cockeye to be able to shoot at anything. Very screwy and I couldn't figure it out.

SC has, I think ... a bit TOO MUCH controls. But maybe with time and experience, I can fine tune them all to my style of space flight, and ratchet in the oddness of what is going on.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#124 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

I haven't kept up with development for a while. Holy popsnizzle.

Last time I looked in on how planets worked, you enter a small cutscene as you descend through the atmosphere and then it reloads in a "flying area" with you in the cockpit descending on the port you're intending to dock at.

This is, uh... a lot different. Seamless space-to-surface, and you actually do stuff on the surface like Mass Effect 1. Man, and here I am wandering around on the Moon in Destiny and if I go more than 200 feet in any direction I get "Turn back 05 04 03 02 01 death" or an invisible wall. Think it's nearing time to retire Destiny as my MMO of choice. It was fun while it lasted, but box canyons and corridors are the past. This is the future.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#125 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Call me when it's more than an on rails tech demo..........I assume the retail release will be ready sometime after I retire in 2045. :teehee:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#126 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

Hehehehe... a game to play in retirement, well, maybe it will be done by then.

-Fm [1oM7]

#127 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

Just a little reminder how trustworthy such presentations are…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#128 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:46 AM

True enough... although with the important difference of when they launched the baby persistent universe it pretty much did look and play like the earlier tech demos of it (albeit bug-ridden, being early in active development) and is quite a bit of fun before the lack of variety in the basic testbed missions causes them to lose their novelty.

NMS, pretty much from the beginning never explained just what the hell you'd do and what the driving factor was in continuing to play beyond an hour or two; why I never sprang for it even though it looked awesome from trailers. It felt like a much more advanced version of the failed crowdfunded game Starforge (which I DID buy into... meh), and that ended up being extremely close to reality.

Alien: Isolation looked pretty awesome pre-release... and ended up being one of the best horror games I've ever played too, redeeming the franchise's PC experience from Aliens: CM. :)

Eric5h5:

#129 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

Good guy Roberts. Making games for our retirement.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#130 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

Right. In ED I spend far more time using lateral thrusters, than actually just having my main thrusters....

ED... lateral thrusters... your main thruster(s)?

OMG I just laughed so hard.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#131 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2462 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

Ha! A marine yells "They're everywhere!" in that Aliens: Colonial Marines demo. Shades of this recent thread: http://www.insidemac...117#entry442796
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.