#101 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Star Trek online LMFAOFEBBQWTF....... agreed.

BTW, the latest release of ED has made pretty much every damned bulletin board mission completely unfinishable or vague and broken. Or I'm missing some wiki how-to-because-the-game-is-broken out there. Either way I've now given up on all those juicy tempting 500,000 Cr missions because every single one I try, ends up in wasting an hour dicking around trying to figure out how to even complete the thing, only to find it it wont complete because its all frakked.

And frak landing on the ground.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#102 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 December 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

Welp I tried to download the latest alpha and it said it was going to take a couple millennia so I gave up.

https://lh3.googleus.../2015-12-18.jpg

I'll stop being a negative Nancy when they fraking release what I paid them for. So far I have a card. I don't have wing commander Remastered. I have a card. And it's been patching for 3 days so as far as I can still I still have a card. In SC 2.0 I can look at my card. WOWOWOWOWOWO AWESOME. These guys make Tim Schafer look like the picture of project management.

I get what you're saying on the other stuff, but I don't know that it's their fault that the connection between you and the servers is messed up. When I got the last patch my connection was saturated and it finished in about 20 minutes. Of all the online services I use, even big ones like EA Origin and Xbox Live don't usually do that; pretty much only Steam and sometimes PSN do that reliably, so I think they're doing okay on that front.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#103 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Been a backer since the Kickstarter went up, and to me the game doesn't exist until Squadron 42 is out. I haven't even downloaded anything; I have far too many completed games to play. They can take their time.

I think we'd all have a different perspective about this if other games' AAA development was just as open.

#104 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Yeah, could you imagine how SWTOR woulda been had it been a kickstarter? At (I think) $250 million, the game they delivered wasn't really 'all that'... imagine if they had promised so many ground breaking MMO things and then delivered what they have now.... at a price tag of $250 mil of funding. Ouch.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#105 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

I bought SWTOR at launch and played it like the single player RPG it is. It was great. No complaints.
There was an MMO component you say?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#106 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 December 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I bought SWTOR at launch and played it like the single player RPG it is. It was great. No complaints.
There was an MMO component you say?

Same, I have that huge cube box to show for it. But as soon as I played through the characters I wanted to make... that was it, unsubb'd, not looked back.

-Fm [1oM7]

#107 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

I think I paid for 1 month after my free month to soak up all I needed to. I did buy and log in after the rise of the hut cartel launched and played some of that. But haven't been back to it since. I don't know what expansion content has been released since then.

I thought the base game Sith Inquisitor storyline was pretty good. No complaints. Have paid 60 dollars for worse games.

Pretty sure it sucked for those looking for an MMO though. :o
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#108 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

Not to go further off topic, but I had hoped it would have been a good replacement for the vanished StarWarsGalaxies. Sadly it fell short in pretty much every area 'except' a story driven main line to follow. So yeah, I did Smuggler, Jedi Sage, Bounty Hunter to 50, then had started Infiltrator and Inquisitor, but kind of lost steam and gave up.

-Fm [1oM7]

#109 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Wow. People still talk about Star what was that game again? I tend to just wait until stuff actually shows up to pay attention to it, even something like Underworld Ascendant which I hope turns out to be great. I don't follow it though. It would just be a tease.

Oh, wait. Yeah, let's talk about that game that is out, the Star Wars one. Is the free to play doable just to check out some story mode action? I'm too invested in other MMOs I am neglecting anyway to spend on yet another but I'd fool around in one if it didn't suck to much as a freeloader. I want to try the Marvel and Star Trek ones for Mac on that basis.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#110 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

The free to play lets you enjoy the stories of each character you are allowed to choose. Which I believe is still the original 4 per side (8 if you count the point where you have to choose one of two style paths, but they dont really affect the story at all).

However it bombards you with PAY FOR THIS! PAY FOR THAT! GET THIS USELESS THING! if you can play with blinders on, then you are good to go.

-Fm [1oM7]

#111 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

The base game Story content is entirely accessible for free, which is a pretty impressive amount of content. However you may find yourself annoyingly limited by how EA implemented F2P. It is very clear they begrudgingly went F2P. When I went back to play the hut cartel business I was aggressively annoyed by the limitations (pretty much they give you jack for having actually bought the game). I would do missions and all the quest rewards for some missions were locked behind the subscription wall. Um. Like nobody does this. Nobody. Do I not get a token loot for being a "loyal" purchaser of the game. Semi loyal. Like 25% loyal I realize I did not play past launch. 15% loyal.

But, playing purely for the story you should be less concerned about the loot. It's still very INYOURFACEish about the cartel store, at least it was couple years ago when I did the rise of the hut content.

Defiance, there's a game that did F2P right. Never in your face. Never feel limited. I've popped a few inventory slots to support trion.

#112 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

I had actually bought the big collectors edition box, for a lot of money. And when it went to F2P, they didn't even lift a single finger to offer some sort of 'thanks' for that in way of playing without a subscription. So yeah, their implementation is the worst. They really should have taken a card from the LOTRO book on a good way to handle f2p.

-Fm [1oM7]

#113 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hmm, might be too annoying then. Maybe I will try it sometime just to see a bit of it but no rush.

LoTRO was done well and is one game along with EverQuest that my existing accounts have a lot of value with minimal expense which seems fair enough to me. I did pay them plenty over time and I did purchase some slots, pack/bank space and content but the nice thing was with that done a bunch of toons could use it and going forward really the only expenditure until end game that I doubt I'd care about is just buying content in I think it was ranges of about 10 levels a pop for a reasonable price. Again though, once purchased you get a lot of mileage out of that if you like the game and play alts which I was last time I was there.

EverQuest was really good. I was able to play to level 70 with no restrictions at all that i cared about due in part to my previous subscription and expansion purchases. I may have paid for some slots to open access to existing alts as a one time thing, guys I already had invested a fair amount of time in, etc. In original EQ I have quite the investment in awesome classic rare twink gear and toys that I acquired over a period of many years and thousands of hours of play. So a visit back there is good fun. Last time, I leveled a Mage to 70 and didn't want for anything thanks to existing funds, banked gear, etc. I even have all kinds of quest drops, all the drops for the famed robe of the oracle quest (Phylactery Will Get You Nowhere) which any old EQ fan would appreciate is one heck of a major undertaking. Those robes were exceedingly rare because it was so hard to get the stuff for them, certain drops in particular. I have them all! I am nearly due for another trip down memory lane I think with another low level toon who is twinked to the absolute maximum all the way to 70. Good times!

Sorry, kinda went on there but there's a few older games including DDO, LoTRO and both EverQuests where I have substantial assets that make return trips fun times but also casual ones. No guild needed. No drama. No raiding. Maybe a random group or whatnot for fun but that's it. I like being independent in virtual worlds. I just don't have the patience for the craziness about loot, etc. people get into. I don't have time for that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#114 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

I do enjoy popping on for a fall festival in the Shire. So pleasant and fun.

-Fm [1oM7]

#115 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

To get things back on Star Citizen, this is what it looks like these days.

I captured it all on the same computer I played it on and have not tempered with the footage in any way. Just FYI. It doesn't really show what you can do in 2.0/2.1... it's basically just spaceship pr0n.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#116 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

Mucking about in the baby persistent universe for the first time, helping some dudes fend off pirates and EVAing into a comm array to reboot it.

Coming along pretty nicely!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#117 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

When you were flying, and shooting at the pirates... how is your setup? It almost looked like you were fine-aiming with a mouse, but ... joystick? Maybe, I dunno. I've been having a horrible time getting the controls mapped up right. Most times I'm flying, my aiming reticle gets flung off to the side and stuck there, and so I have to kind of fly sideways to aim at stuff. But, I'm not touching my mouse... because when I touch my mouse, my HEAD gets stuck in the wrong direction ;) I cannot seem to figure out how to make everything snap back to where it should be.

-Fm [1oM7]

#118 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

I use both a HOTAS and mouse, but there I'm using a mouse with G13 gameboard (which I use when I'm too lazy to hook the HOTAS up; the Warthog takes over my desktop so having it out at all times is not feasible and sometimes I just want to jump in for a quick flight and jump back out).

Eric5h5:

#119 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Ah. That must explain how that reticle was moving so precisely to aim at targets.... thats just REALLY tough to do with a joystick like that. Unless someone has a really sick sweet joystick and mad skillz :)

-Fm [1oM7]

#120 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

I can get somewhat close to that level of accuracy with a stick and pedals, but only because of copious amounts of time spent piloting a virtual Apache. :P

One interesting effect of having newtonian mechanics (and without E:D's artificial limit on yaw control) is the flight system is very strange compared to flying fixed wing, but coming from flying a helicopter it's basically the same damn thing and a very natural transition. You just remove the factor of gravity and needing to worry about how you orient the blades.

Eric5h5: