Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

Okay, so at the beginning of March I didn't even know the game existed. Now... totally stoked, thanks mostly to the SXSW Free Flight week letting me try out the alpha for a week, and now having been playing regularly enough to dust off my spaceflight skills.

It's still pre-alpha, but I think this may be my favorite thing since Marathon and Escape Velocity if half of what they're shooting for design-wise pans out. Plus, spaceflight with Newtonian mechanics. And not only that, but done really, really well, with mass and thruster power playing a huge part in how each individual craft handles. Large, heavy fighters, even with their powerful maneuvering thrusters have quite a bit of slide at high speed due to momentum and can't change heading nearly as fast, necessitating a totally different style of play compared to nimble light fighters with much lower mass. And even then, you need to think "I am in space, not atmosphere." A maneuver that might have you almost blacking out from G-forces as you turn with maneuvering thrusters at maximum burn can be modified to include a decouple, spin, and burn while imparting nowhere near as many Gs on yourself. You can also fly quite convincingly totally decoupled from the flight control system using just raw pitch/roll/yaw/translation up/down/left/right/forward/backward inputs, although his requires a damn good bit of practice.

Just, even at this stage, the flight system has impressed the hell out of me.

Below, a demo of what combat currently looks like when piloting the lightest, most nimble fighter in the game. Feel free to skip around (unless you just want to watch 30 minutes of Frost dogfighting in space). Gives a great sample. 1080p60 is available thanks to the new GPU!

I'm flying with a mouse and keyboard because this version had some serious bugs with my HOTAS inputs (the current build is just the opposite; HOTAS is flawless, keyboard input is buggy. They're getting there), but as you can see it still works out great.

https://youtu.be/ZsxkjPFat0I

Decided to back the game with zero hesitation. They may have a host of negative articles, but they've also got $80 million and some of the best attention to detail I've ever seen. I'm officially onboard. Hopefully this game finds its way to the Mac down the road as well like Elite: Dangerous has.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Did you have a chance at all to run it on lower spec computer? I'm interested in Star Citizen, but it seems like they are really marketing towards the ultra-high spec crowd, which I am not really apart of.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, they're targeting what will be current spec in 2016, so that's pretty taxing. Maxed out it beat the popsnizzle out of my Titan and made it cry uncle. The new Titan X is able to handle it pretty well though.

I ran it on my cousin's 2012 iMac with a 680MX when he was visiting a couple weeks ago and it was unplayable at 1440p very high, but if you turn the settings down, you're able to get it to run in the 20-30 FPS range. Not too bad considering its not optimized at all and that's a mobile card. They're not being overly obnoxious with the specs, it's just probably not going to run worth crap on Intel graphics or an AMD APU, and that's why no consoles.

It'll probably be a lot better once it hits beta this fall.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

Im spoiled... I cant even consider playing anything at less than 60. The jitter drives my eyes batty. Speed or die! Mmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Im spoiled... I cant even consider playing anything at less than 60. The jitter drives my eyes batty. Speed or die! Mmm.
Yeah, same. Every time I play a game on the PS4 when I haven't been on it in a while, 30 FPS feels like a total slideshow.

Eric5h5:

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

An alternate video to the one above: https://youtu.be/Pqd-GuNZ56A

Managed to repeat the feat of doing a full 18 waves without dying. Might be a more enjoyable watch as the last one was about a month ago and I was a lot rustier (scraping that asteroid, for one thing...). This one, the rust is gone. Also have only one teammate instead of three, and he's just average instead of excellent like my teammates in the first one. Had to bring my A game to stay alive, and the final wave where you get hit by all aces was intense as hell. Good look at mostly covering your own ass versus a squadron battle like the first was. Also at a different location.

As far as "what is with waves/lives/scoring" this is the Arena Commander simulator. It's a practice module you can load up to play solo, coop, or competitive or just free flight without actually risking your character's bacon. It's currently the only thing playable for backers, although the first iteration of the first person shooter element is due to hit in about 4-6 weeks.

In coop, it's 18 waves against the aliens humanity is at war with in the main game, with every third wave including a named enemy ace (3, 6, 9, 12, 15). If you defeat the wave with the ace, you get your missiles and ballistic weapons reloaded (energy weapons don't need reloads) and anybody who's used up their two respawns and is out of the game gets to come back in. The waves get progressively more difficult (Vanduul Scavenger < Vanduul Hunter < Vanduul Alpha < Named Vanduul Ace) until you hit wave 18 and face all aces. Wave 18 is hard as hell to survive. I usually get blown apart even if I've done the previous 17 waves without dying, so it definitely feels like a big accomplishment whenever you pull it off.

Eric5h5:

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hmm, that's too bad. The 970M in my laptop is roughly equivalent to the GTX 760.

I guess this game will be the new Crysis.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 03 May 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Hmm, that's too bad. The 970M in my laptop is roughly equivalent to the GTX 760.

I guess this game will be the new Crysis.
Well, again, this is pre-alpha. It's not optimized at all... a simple small area takes 25-45 seconds to load even off a RAID0 SSD at this point (although they're starting to address this, with load times reportedly 1/3 or less in the next build). I expect framerates are in a similarly poor position. It may end up running rather well once it gets to beta or so. They're planning for full implementation of DX12/Vulkan rendering optimizations as well, so that should definitely help.

Eric5h5:

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Will an actual game ever emerge? Will Chris Roberts steal your soul? Will your mother make it to Bingo on Friday? Grab your popcorn and find out, this week on TALES OF INTEREST.

http://www.dereksmar...tellar-justice/
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

Nope. And Roberts and his wife will flee to Mexico with what's left of the money.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 July 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

Will an actual game ever emerge? Will Chris Roberts steal your soul? Will your mother make it to Bingo on Friday? Grab your popcorn and find out, this week on TALES OF INTEREST.

http://www.dereksmar...tellar-justice/
Sheesh… I guess it has to be said that Derek Smart is a pompous idiot with a grating personality, delusions of grandeur, and a proven, almost Molyneux-esque tendency to promise more for his games than he is able to deliver. However, he has some technical expertise and he raised a lot of valid points in his first lengthy rant about Star Citizen (somewhat buried among copious amounts of chest-thumping). I haven't read his second post yet, and can't say how valid his alleged data provided by allegedly independent researchers actually is, but from this latest article, it seems both sides have engaged high-powered poo flinging mode.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

I'm neither here nor there with Derek Smart but damn if that isn't an entertaining read. Might have been worth the price of SC admission. And I've had some concerns about SC for the past year so it was nice to see some rather loud validation of my concerns. I've often thought the only thing I'll ever really get out of backing SC is my SC card.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, I dont know Derek Smart, nor bother to really care who he was or did. What I do know is reading all three of his articles, while thick with opinion, he does bring many concerns up which appear to be founded and yet unanswered by the powers at SC. Its enough to make me NOT want to pay a dime for that, backing or otherwise, until dust settles and the game is actually on track (which judging by all that information... thats most likely a no).

Such a shame though. Looked to be a beautiful thing. Anyways... life goes on.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Ironically, I think that Derek Smart's past and reputation especially gives his arguments some credence: if someone who on a regular basis overestimates what he is able to achieve says that SC's goals and ambitions are impossible to reach, I can't but believe he might have a point…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

For those of you (like me) who doesn't really get Star Citizen, then there's an interesting article up on Ars today, and the comments are especially worth going through.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

"no one that isnt heavily invested in Star Citizen even knows what it is any more. It was basically a new wing commander game when it was announced, and it was going to have a multiplayer client as well."
This about sums up my feelings on it. I gave them 60 dolans back in 2012 for what was being sold as a next generation wangs commander game and now I don't know what the hell its supposed to be other than feature after feature apparently is getting added to the SOW. On the things like this I have backed I've tended to wait for a finished game, but I fear I may be in the nursing home before Roberts gets "finished" with SC.

"The problem with scope creep isn't that the game is taking too long; it's whether they'll have a finished game when the money runs out. I'd rather have an $80M finished game than an unfinished $160M one."

&#8203;That thought has crossed my mind too. Will this end up being another Broken Age where they explode the project scope so much they burn through all the cash and then have to sell half a game hoping to come up with the cash to make the rest of the game.

#17 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 July 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ironically, I think that Derek Smart's past and reputation especially gives his arguments some credence: if someone who on a regular basis overestimates what he is able to achieve says that SC's goals and ambitions are impossible to reach, I can't but believe he might have a point&hellip;

Then he needs to learn to phrase his argument as anything but a blowhard arrogant ass.  

I read the first two articles, and his venom is only outstripped by his absolute arrogance.  

At this point, it wouldn't matter if he was right (i havent backed Star Citizen, have no intention of, and he didnt change my mind or anything), i'd be rooting for Star Citizen to be a wild success just to have him shut his idiot mouth.

#18 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Well I think everyone hopes Star Citizen pulls a miracle and becomes a wild success... not only to make some certain people eat their pie, but because THE GAME COULD ROCK SO MUCH ASSSSSSS!!!! ... ya know? I dont think anyone WANTS to see it fail... they are just angry that its headed down that road, and no one involved wants to say anything about it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#19 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Smart is annoying but you have to separate the messenger from the message. I think he articulates the situation well, and he has more credentials than most of the pundits commenting on Star Citizen. It's just a shame he brings that fact up so frequently.

I'm just hoping SC's problems won't trigger a Kickstarter blacklash. I wouldn't be surprised if there were SC-related lawsuits at some point, and certainly a dampening effect on future KS projects. If some politicians decide to jump into the fray, who knows.. A perfect storm could conceivably bring down Kickstarter.

(Yes, I understand that Kickstarter is not actually responsible for SC's promises. But if I worked there I'd be nervous right now. You don't have to be guilty of anything to be damaged by lawsuits and subpoenas.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 July 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

Smart is annoying but you have to separate the messenger from the message. I think he articulates the situation well, and he has more credentials than most of the pundits commenting on Star Citizen. It's just a shame he brings that fact up so frequently.

I'm just hoping SC's problems won't trigger a Kickstarter blacklash. I wouldn't be surprised if there were SC-related lawsuits at some point, and certainly a dampening effect on future KS projects. If some politicians decide to jump into the fray, who knows.. A perfect storm could conceivably bring down Kickstarter.

(Yes, I understand that Kickstarter is not actually responsible for SC's promises. But if I worked there I'd be nervous right now. You don't have to be guilty of anything to be damaged by lawsuits and subpoenas.)

Oh I've got plenty of reasons for kickstarter backlash (also I backed SC before it was on Kickstarter). Those KS arseholes can go down and I won't shed a tear.