MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:32 AM

I have Thrustmaster T.16000m sitting on my desk.
I use it to play windows version of Elite: Dangerous.

Are there any interesting games for OS X with stick support? (except X-Plane).

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8245 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

I actually can't think of that many current games that really would make good use of a flightstick. War Thunder maybe.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6168 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 23 April 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

I have Thrustmaster T.16000m sitting on my desk.
I use it to play windows version of Elite: Dangerous.

Are there any interesting games for OS X with stick support? (except X-Plane).
That is a good stick! I've got one as my travel/this-game-is-dumb-and-won't-allow-more-than-one-input-device/I'm-too-lazy-to-hook-up-the-Warthog stick.

Unfortunately I stopped playing flight sims on the Mac, so I haven't had occasion to try it with anything.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:51 AM

I'll try to get it working in Freespace 2 SCP and Diaspora (BSG).
Falcon 4.0 app was able to detect the stick but I haven't been able to get it working in ~10 minutes a spent on that.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Arise, moribund forum thread! Welcome back to the land of the living! Mwahahah!

Been trying to get my T.16000M working with the GOG versions of X-Wing and/or Tie Fighter. (These are DOS games in a DOSBox/Boxer wrapper.) Stick works fine, but I am unable to remap the buttons. And when I turn on USB Overdrive to do so, the joystick itself becomes almost unusable even though the X & Y axis are not remapped (should be pass-through). Not sure if its USB Overdrive's fault or DOSBox/Boxer's.

I might try SteerMouse in place of USB Overdrive, but assuming that doesn't work I'm going to have to use the keyboard instead of the joystick buttons. *sigh*

I'll try to get it working in Freespace 2 SCP and Diaspora (BSG).

I have just installed Freespace 2 with FS2Open, and will try the joystick with it soon. The other thing I got the stick for is X-Plane, but I'll probably wait until I get a beefier computer.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6168 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

I am OCDing hard over the typo in the topic so I fixed it for you. :P
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 June 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

I have just installed Freespace 2 with FS2Open, and will try the joystick with it soon.

Update: works great, and Freespace 2 looks really nice with the MediaVP mod. What a pain installing everything though.

View PostFrost, on 28 June 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

I am OCDing hard over the typo in the topic so I fixed it for you. :P
Usually typos really bug me so I'm surprised I didn't see this one-- must be getting old. Whatever it was, thanks for fixing it.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6168 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 June 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

Usually typos really bug me so I'm surprised I didn't see this one-- must be getting old. Whatever it was, thanks for fixing it.

Thustmaster!

Actually surprised I didn't see it before now myself. That was a sneaky one, until it wasn't.

Eric5h5:

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

I verified the T.16000M weirdness by running a DOS joystick test utility in Boxer, and trying different USB Overdrive settings. There appear to be two problems: Boxer doesn't see the joystick at all if it is mapped as a generic "Any Gaming" device in USB Overdrive. I can fix that by mapping it specifically by device name, or even by restricting the application ("Any Gaming, Boxer"). Then the buttons remaps start working but the joystick X&Y axis get screwed up.

I reported all this to USB Overdrive support a couple days ago. I doubt I'll get a useful response from them, but we'll see.

My backup plan was to map the important buttons (e.g. F9, F10) to my keypad for easier access, but USB Overdrive doesn't see my Apple keyboards. Apparently OS X has a .kext that takes precedence.

So it appears my only option is to re-learn the original X-Wing keys.. Fine in theory, but finding and hitting the tiny F9 & F10 keys with my left hand while flying with my right hand is apparently beyond me. (Assuming I didn't forget to turn off the default OS X keyboard behavior which sends commands to iTunes instead.)

I recognize that these are small problems to have.:-)
www.mindthecube.com

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2594 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

Very disappointed with USB Overdrive.They are happy to take your $20 but they do not respond to any emails, and there is no support forum.

I spent an evening reproducing the problems and sent them all the necessary files, including a DOS joystick utility I'd packaged up in Boxer for them. No reply.

Then I found that USB Overdrive also doesn't recognize either of my Apple keyboards (Apple presumably has a kext that prevents it.) So my backup plan of using the keypad in place of the joystick buttons was a no go.

Given the lack of response to my first email, and my inability to use it with my keyboards, I politely asked for my money back. No reply to that either. There's noone there, apparently.

I could have just reused the license I purchased for work, but that belongs to my employer so I thought it was fairer to buy my own license. Now I regret it. I am considering contacting my credit card company and reversing the payment.
www.mindthecube.com