51 replies to this topic

#21 areos

areos

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

This is bug, not a performance issue I suppose, the low FPS are because the GPU is not initialized to use OpenGL in hardware mode, so the GPU is running in the lower performance profile wich is used to 2D acceleration and not 3D mode wich is used for games. I say this because I check the GPU speed and with any other game the GPU core raise up from 135Mz (2D Mode) to 862 Mhz (3D Mode) but with Metro 2033 Redux the GPU stays in 135Mz (2D mode) the result is very low FPS. I think this is fixable, we just need to wait a little.

Good Luck

#22 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Pretty sure it must indeed be a show stopping bug you guys are seeing as it's running decently on my Radeon 7950.

From your descriptions it's like the bug I was seeing with Shadow warrior until the last patch where suddenly it was fluid.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#23 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

I think areos is right on. His observations about the nVidia GPU not going into 3D mode gave me an idea. What do we have two different GPUs for after all, made by different manufacturers and running on different drivers? Thanks to gfxCardStatus I just switched to Intel Iris Pro (integrated) only and gave it a try. Lo and behold, even the Iris Pro can run the game perfectly fine and very playable indeed on my late 2014 rMBP. So it's definitely a bug related to the nVidia driver.
The Intel only has a few problems too though. The cursor doesn't show in the menus and the loading icon (spinning CD) is doing something like a twister, but I think we have isolated the issue now. Now the devs just need to figure it out and release a patch. I reckon it's a pretty minor bug with a major effect.

That said, I've already finished the game on the Windows side, where it ran perfectly even on the nVidia GeForce 750M.

I'm going to send them the link to this thread.
Now officially the forum idiot

#24 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Update: Tech support from the distributor got back to me and said they forwarded my inquiry to the devs. They suggested it was the newest nvidia gtx 970 drivers and that installing the nvidia driver update for GTA V might fix the issue. Clearly the guy wasn't capable of understanding the difference between Mac and Windows. Never mind, I also sent an e-mail directly to the developers. Fingers crossed.
Now officially the forum idiot

#25 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostG-News, on 22 April 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Update: Tech support from the distributor got back to me and said they forwarded my inquiry to the devs. They suggested it was the newest nvidia gtx 970 drivers and that installing the nvidia driver update for GTA V might fix the issue. Clearly the guy wasn't capable of understanding the difference between Mac and Windows. Never mind, I also sent an e-mail directly to the developers. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for taking the initiative here. That's good of you to do that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#26 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

Guys, Holy ****!! Metro 2033 Redux is now playable on my iMac. The  latest  Nvidia web driver did the trick, guys! I'm gonna download Metro Last Light Redux tonight and possibly Dead Island (a game that's NEVER ran well) and see if it helps frame rates.

Just a rough guesstimate of the improvement in Metro 2033 - it went from 2-5 seconds per frame to about 20-25 fps now.

Here are the drivers to download:

http://www.nvidia.co....25-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.co...spx/89538/en-us

These are double clickable to install and even I can do it!!

Go, get em now.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#27 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

That's great news. I got the web driver and haven't installed it yet. I don't have time for Metro Redux just yet although I own it.

I have a feeling the problems with Dead Island are intrinsic to the virtual programming port vs a driver issue like Metro Redux has on Nvidia hardware. It would be nice to be wrong about that though. I have it installed here and plan to try it soon. Maybe I'll do a test with and without the web driver and see if I note any difference.

I hope the fixes/improvements present in the web driver are present in whatever driver release ships with El Capitan.

#28 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 September 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

That's great news. I got the web driver and haven't installed it yet. I don't have time for Metro Redux just yet although I own it.

I have a feeling the problems with Dead Island are intrinsic to the virtual programming port vs a driver issue like Metro Redux has on Nvidia hardware. It would be nice to be wrong about that though. I have it installed here and plan to try it soon. Maybe I'll do a test with and without the web driver and see if I note any difference.

I hope the fixes/improvements present in the web driver are present in whatever driver release ships with El Capitan.

Me too! And if not, I hope nVidia continues to update these drivers and make them available to Mac users. As far as both Metro games? Very playable and enjoyable. Certainly more than I expected, given that my Mac doesn't meet the minimum requirements! :) Kudos to 4A Games and kudos to nVidia for taking care of us.

Dead Island? No improvements.

Oddly enough, Borderlands TPS feels smoother than it did on Apple's drivers. Not sure what to chalk that up to. The smoothness delta  between BL2 and BL TPS is even greater since installing the web driver. Could be that the OpenGL code in TPS is more in line with the web driver? Not sure.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#29 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Dead Island's problems are squarely in the eON wrapper and not driver related. *eyes up that borderline unplayable port of The Witcher 2*

Reports are wine ports run significantly better. I don't know, I took one look at the mac builds sucking and booted to wandows.

VPLd was aware of the issues but I don't know that anything ever came of it.

https://github.com/v...-linux/issues/1
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#30 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

I am going to try Dead Island on my iMac to see how it runs. Maybe my system is new enough to overcome the suckage of the port performance-wise but if not I think I'll just go the Windows route with that one myself. I would like to play it. I've played the first part under Windows before and I liked the game at least up to that point. Games like that though do make me pine for the console they run right on to begin with. I'd really like to own a PS3, PS4 and Xbone but I am just a poor boy even if I often tell my stories.

#31 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

Dead Island runs right as rain under windows, you do have to modify a config file to enable text chat w/ a controller connected if that's your bag baby.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#32 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 September 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Dead Island runs right as rain under windows, you do have to modify a config file to enable text chat w/ a controller connected if that's your bag baby.

Talk to people in an online game? Perish the thought!

That's good to know. If I see it sucking at all, I'll just bail and reboot. It's not worth compromise even if I don't like wait times on reboots.

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

I meant the controller being your bag. For some reason when you plug in a controller it disables keyboard chat, I can't fathom what the devs thought this was a good idea other than dis be wat we dun on console. It is easy to fix though.

http://deadisland.wi..._360_Controller

#34 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 September 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I meant the controller being your bag. For some reason when you plug in a controller it disables keyboard chat, I can't fathom what the devs thought this was a good idea other than dis be wat we dun on console. It is easy to fix though.

http://deadisland.wi..._360_Controller

Come to think of it, when I played the game briefly before I think I recall finding that I needed to use a controller to enjoy it. I seem to recall keyboard/mouse being badness for me with that game.

#35 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Contrary to Fridapoops opinion, using a Controller does not make you a peasant hobo. :shifty:

#36 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

Dead Island has a horendous bug with mouse and keyboard, dealing with key-repeat. There is a 3rd party app called "Dead Island Helper" which fixes this issue. The game was basically unplayable with M+KB due to that bug the devs never bothered to fix. Luckily someone fixed it for them.

I'd imagine Dead Island is decently playable with a controller, since you don't really need to aim precisely. You can just flail and kill zombies that way. I rarely did any 'throwing weapons' because too many times they would get lost or broken in the process and it was way too expensive and time consuming hunting down a missed knife stuck in some tree a mile away.

And gunz in that game (both of them) was a laughing joke to bother with. Not enough bullets!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#37 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

Does Dead Island have a chain saw? I would like a chain saw... a lot.

#38 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

It does, but it runs out of fuel fast (you have to un-equip it all the time so it doesnt run out). Its pretty slow to kick up as well, making it tough to use. However it is fun to use once on a big thug grinding away at them watching the blood spray about.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#39 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 September 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Have you done a formal compare and contrast between running DI on Windows and on OS X? I ask because I just discovered Steam Overlay today, and it overlays frame rate data over Steam games, among other things (Shift-Tab folks). In OS X, I notice DI getting about 40-45 FPS on my late 2012 iMac. I'm starting to wonder if I have been too hard on Virtual Programming about this title. Maybe the "problems" I'm noticing at level 9 in the game, aren't framerate related at all, but rather related to the physics and manner in which characters move within the game.

Thoughts?

#40 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

I messed around with Dead Island just briefly the other night and was getting a fairly steady 60 FPS. I think had v-sync on. I forget now. I usually turn that on unless I notice something consistently running in the mid 50s or less because screen tearing bugs me. It seems fine here. I'm wondering if it was poorly optimized and that hurt it on current hardware at release and it is less of an issue now depending on what you run it on. I do need to play it more before I'd feel comfortable saying it really runs well though, though some hectic fighting, etc.

I did run into one major issue which was that it did not recognize my Logitech F-510 Rumblepad in X-Input mode to emulate the Xbox controller. To change it to Direct Input involves having to unplug the thing, flip the switch and plug it back in. This is sad but I am so lazy that when confronted with this problem I bailed instead of reaching behind my iMac and unplugging and replugging the thing and then restarting the game. Yep. I think acknowledging the problem is supposed to be half the battle isn't it? I'll let you know if I ever win the other half.

Anyway, it is switched now and I need to fire it up hopefully to find Direct Input is supported. Otherwise if I remember right from an early fight in that game it soon become apparent to me that a controller was the only way to fly which means I'd have to reboot for this one. I think I will check this out right now actually. I shall return.