Jump to content


Heroes of the Storm


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

Any of you playing Blizzard's new game?

Probably a shocking post from me since I tend to treat MOBAs like the plague and my general impression of them is they quickly become boring and they have some of the most toxic, hostile communities on the internet.

I got a beta key for Heroes of the Storm from a friend and resisted playing for about a week and a half, but I was convinced to try it a couple nights ago and I'm surprised to say I'm actually having a good bit of fun with it. It feels more like some of the fun casual hero-based StarCraft 2 mods that I've enjoyed than a MOBA, and screwing around in coop with pals has provided some great fun. Don't know that I'll touch competitive that much as while I'm a highly competitive FPS player, the enjoyment I have from that doesn't really extend to RTS that much, and to MOBA not at all. But who knows, maybe this one would be different.

It probably also doesn't hurt that while there's the usual problem of I don't enjoy playing most of the heroes, two of them (Raynor and Nova) fit my playstyle so perfectly and are so enjoyable that I keep finding myself going, "One more game!" every time a match ends.

So, yeah. If anybody else is in the closed beta, feel free to hit me up and we can play together! If not, I'll just say that so far this appears to be the perfect MOBA for the player who doesn't like MOBAs, and likes to play for fun without any desire to get super-competitive.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 ipickert55

ipickert55

    Honorary Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55
  • Location:Monterey, California

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostFrost, on 13 April 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Probably a shocking post from me since I tend to treat MOBAs like the plague and my general impression of them is they quickly become boring and they have some of the most toxic, hostile communities on the internet.

I'm starting to grow tired of Dota because of this. The game is still exciting, but I just can't take the community anymore. I have to take breaks to keep myself from going crazy but I think I should just get out altogether.

Sorry for completely hijacking your thread, just wanted to say something.

Edited by ipickert55, 14 April 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#3 Cobra

Cobra

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Location:Australia
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

Haven't played any of the other popular "MOBAs" but decided to take a chance of HoTS... I mean it's free, and it was in the right place at the right time. I loved Wings of Liberty and was recently feeling a little let down by Heart of the Swarm... so here was this game where I could play as Raynor again... figured why not.

Have enjoyed it so far, see myself playing it for the long haul. I hope to see something from Rock 'n' Roll Racing slip in there somehow someday.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

I tried 4 games, and it was too kiddy-simple for me. I'll stick to HON.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

Missed this thread..

I'm playing it a decent amount. I love how much faster and less serious it is compared with DotA and League. The varied maps are also really nice. I'm down to party up if anyone is playing it. The game has gone gold now, and is available to everyone.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 Cobra

Cobra

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Location:Australia
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 03 July 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Missed this thread..

I'm playing it a decent amount. I love how much faster and less serious it is compared with DotA and League. The varied maps are also really nice. I'm down to party up if anyone is playing it. The game has gone gold now, and is available to everyone.
Sounds good Sneaky Snake, what's your Battle.net ID so I can add you?

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

SneakySnake #1636
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

I am trying to try it tonight but it is trying my patience. I fire up the Blizzard launcher which of course has to update all the Blizzard games I have installed (all of them) and when that is done I enter the game for the first time. I do part 1 of the tutorial and then I am returned to a screen to select part 2 but part 2 is still locked as they seem to think I did not successfully complete part one but I did.

So, I click on this and that trying to get in and it freezes. I force quit and decide I will exit the launcher too just in case. I fire it up again and what do you know? Every Blizzard game needs yet another update even though they all just got one. So I sit through that for a few and try again. No joy. Locked out of all modes. Someone in chat suggests logging off and then logging back in. I try this. It won't reconnect. I Force Quit again and start over.

Now, I can finally access the various modes but dummy here accidentally clicks on Quick Match and is immediately entered into a match I do not know how to play. Before it can start or even appear, I force quit hoping somebody else from the queue will get put in there to play with those folks, somebody who actually knows how to play hopefully unlike myself.

I come back to try the tutorial again but it tells me that match i bailed on is still in progress and gives me exactly one option - Join. There is no cancel option. It is join or bust. So, I force quit again. I rage just a little bit. I decide to whine about it here. Sorry.

Now, I will go try one more time. I can't seem to win tonight between Guild Wars 2 hating me and now this.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#9 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

Good lord, man. HotS has been working perfectly for me on both Mac and Windows since the beta, so I'm not sure what's happening there.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 September 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

I am trying to try it tonight but it is trying my patience. I fire up the Blizzard launcher which of course has to update all the Blizzard games I have installed (all of them) and when that is done I enter the game for the first time. I do part 1 of the tutorial and then I am returned to a screen to select part 2 but part 2 is still locked as they seem to think I did not successfully complete part one but I did.

So, I click on this and that trying to get in and it freezes. I force quit and decide I will exit the launcher too just in case. I fire it up again and what do you know? Every Blizzard game needs yet another update even though they all just got one. So I sit through that for a few and try again. No joy. Locked out of all modes. Someone in chat suggests logging off and then logging back in. I try this. It won't reconnect. I Force Quit again and start over.

Now, I can finally access the various modes but dummy here accidentally clicks on Quick Match and is immediately entered into a match I do not know how to play. Before it can start or even appear, I force quit hoping somebody else from the queue will get put in there to play with those folks, somebody who actually knows how to play hopefully unlike myself.

I come back to try the tutorial again but it tells me that match i bailed on is still in progress and gives me exactly one option - Join. There is no cancel option. It is join or bust. So, I force quit again. I rage just a little bit. I decide to whine about it here. Sorry.

Now, I will go try one more time. I can't seem to win tonight between Guild Wars 2 hating me and now this.

Are you sure your internet connection isn't the issue? Try tethering to your phone and see if that clears stuff up. I've never had any issues like with HotS
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

Me neither, even as a beta it shows the normal Blizzard stability and quality. Granted, I only gave it 4 games, but still.

I also hate the launcher though. But that is a total different matter. :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have never encountered a problem with any Blizzard game either. I did get a reply in general chat during my troubles that the issue of being locked out of progression in the tutorial is a known thing resolved by logging out and back in again.

While I am normally more on the ball than this, I think some of the problem was stupid user error more than anything else, like clicking into a game I had no business joining yet before knowing how to play. So that isn't Blizzard's fault. I own that one.

The other stuff I will attribute to bailing out less than gracefully. I think the only real problem was the known issue cited above. Once I got past that the game is fine. I'll give it another go soon and complete the tutorial, etc. I am guessing I won't have any more problems after that.

My connection is stable and reliable fortunately. On very rare occasions (maybe 3 times in the past year) I notice they temporarily go down late at night for about an hour without any warning I am aware of and I think it is just for maintenance at a time most people would be sleeping. Those times though the modem lights tell me right away I'm offline and I just wait it out because I don't want to go through the tier one support script steps with somebody when I know it is them and not me since I know I have changed nothing here that would affect it and there hasn't been any lightning bolts raining down on the house, etc. recently.

My present ISP (Suddenlink) is the best one I've ever had actually with good reliable service, no contract and no screwing around with a bill changing monthly, going up unexpectedly, etc. This is mucho better than my previous experiences with Comcast, Verizon, Charter and CenturyLink who all cost me considerably more money while delivering a lower quality experience and no small number of times on the phone only to find out that in every single instance (which required me insisting on escalating my call) that the issue was on their end, not mine. Honest to God, it was every single time.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#13 nick68k

nick68k

    Heroic

  • IMG Writers
  • 263 posts
  • Location:Not here. But close.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:11 PM

So this is a dumb question, but is there a single-player mode for this game? Nick vs AI or something?

(The WoW community is bad enough; I can't imagine the MOBA community is a little ray of sunshine either)
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

View Postnick68k, on 11 October 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

So this is a dumb question, but is there a single-player mode for this game? Nick vs AI or something?

(The WoW community is bad enough; I can't imagine the MOBA community is a little ray of sunshine either)

There is single player stuff to play and it is free to enjoy. I'd encourage you to try it as it is a fun game and easy to learn. As for playing against other people, it's a beautiful thing the way they set it up. There is no chat and no voice communication between you and your opponent at all except for a few canned messages the UI will let you send like good game or whatnot. I have just played it very casually off and on and not purchased any of the added content which does look fun but I'm too busy for now. In the time I have played vs other people, I think one person sent a couple of the canned messages and that was it.

So community is a non-issue.

By the way, it wasn't a dumb question at all. How would you know if you hadn't played it?
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

You could also look into joining a guild. Some of them are specifically catered to people that want to be nice to each other, and have a good non-flaming time.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#16 nick68k

nick68k

    Heroic

  • IMG Writers
  • 263 posts
  • Location:Not here. But close.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

Appreciate the replies folks! I'll probably give it a go, but casually and at my own pace.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#17 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

View Postnick68k, on 12 October 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Appreciate the replies folks! I'll probably give it a go, but casually and at my own pace.

Doh! I'm sorry! Please disregard my reply. I got mixed up and was thinking of the Hearthstone card game by Blizzard, not the Heroes of the Storm game. Sorry about that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#18 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265
  • Location:Hong Kong

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:24 AM

View PostFrost, on 13 April 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Any of you playing Blizzard's new game?

Probably a shocking post from me since I tend to treat MOBAs like the plague and my general impression of them is they quickly become boring and they have some of the most toxic, hostile communities on the internet.

I got a beta key for Heroes of the Storm from a friend and resisted playing for about a week and a half, but I was convinced to try it a couple nights ago and I'm surprised to say I'm actually having a good bit of fun with it. It feels more like some of the fun casual hero-based StarCraft 2 mods that I've enjoyed than a MOBA, and screwing around in coop with pals has provided some great fun. Don't know that I'll touch competitive that much as while I'm a highly competitive FPS player, the enjoyment I have from that doesn't really extend to RTS that much, and to MOBA not at all. But who knows, maybe this one would be different.

It probably also doesn't hurt that while there's the usual problem of I don't enjoy playing most of the heroes, two of them (Raynor and Nova) fit my playstyle so perfectly and are so enjoyable that I keep finding myself going, "One more game!" every time a match ends.

So, yeah. If anybody else is in the closed beta, feel free to hit me up and we can play together! If not, I'll just say that so far this appears to be the perfect MOBA for the player who doesn't like MOBAs, and likes to play for fun without any desire to get super-competitive.

x2 ... I tend to treat MOBAs like the plague and my general impression of them is they quickly become boring and they have some of the most toxic, hostile communities on the internet.
heroes of the storm throw away the tedious inventory + armor + weapon combination stuff so i could just head dive into the action! jesus christ, i never thought i could be so addicted to a MOBA game.....maybe the fancy graphics & all these nicely crafted characters helps