Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

http://www.wired.com...alf-built-game/

Interesting read. I backed this and not Elite but if SC is not out when the Mac build of Elite comes out of beta I'll probably just buy that. I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned on SC, project ballooning out of control without meaningful management.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Shame. I so want something like it to come out, something so hunormously overwhelming that it takes a whole life of its own and just exists by sheer force of weight.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

I still have faith it will release in some form but Chris Roberts is increasingly seeming like the Peter Molyneux of space simulators.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'm quite confident that they will not only ultimately release the best game they can make (even if later than announced), but also an actually good game.

But I'm also increasingly convinced that no matter how good the game will be, it will never be able to live up to the expectations.

The hype for Star Citizen has become blown completely out of proportion. Unless it will be the best game ever made, I'm pretty sure that it will be not good enough to satisfy everyone's wishes and dreams. And seeing how already in the case of Elite, which collected a fraction of SC's budget, some disgruntled backers go on a rage-filled hate spree over sometimes ridiculous bagatelles, I'm dreading to imagine how the reaction to the final release of Star Citizen will be.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

On the plus side, he has delivered in the past. He's not "all hat and no cattle."

But in this case he may have bitten off more than he can chew. I think he'd have been better off releasing a smaller (but still massive!) game, and then either incrementally improving it or getting to work on the sequel.

I've (mostly) outgrown my younger, knee-jerk tendency to schadenfreude-- I no longer get much joy out of seeing people brought down by their own hubris. If Mr. Roberts comes out with something amazing, great, more power to him. But he's got to start shipping something at some point, and the longer he draws this out the riskier it gets. The business model seems to be to keep doubling down, selling and promising more and more.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Chris Roberts just publicly backed the Descent Underground kickstarter, so now I will only say nice things about him. :-)

9 days to go..
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 31 March 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

The business model seems to be to keep doubling down, selling and promising more and more.

This. I don't think it's lack of good intentions. It's this constant stream of selling ships and "donations" keeps the target constantly moving. At some point you've got to get some deliverables. It's worse than the usual stretch goals because it's a constant stream of stretch goals. But perhaps when it does hit an actual release I'll take some of my moldy vacation and just snort str8 caffeine for a week.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:16 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 31 March 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm quite confident that they will not only ultimately release the best game they can make (even if later than announced), but also an actually good game.

But I'm also increasingly convinced that no matter how good the game will be, it will never be able to live up to the expectations.

The hype for Star Citizen has become blown completely out of proportion. Unless it will be the best game ever made, I'm pretty sure that it will be not good enough to satisfy everyone's wishes and dreams. And seeing how already in the case of Elite, which collected a fraction of SC's budget, some disgruntled backers go on a rage-filled hate spree over sometimes ridiculous bagatelles, I'm dreading to imagine how the reaction to the final release of Star Citizen will be.
With Janichsan on this one. I'm expecting it to be great, but people will probably still be let down because they're expecting Chris Roberts to morph into Space Jesus. I know I always bring up Titanfall, but it's like the posterchild for this. People were expecting it to be the most amazing thing since sliced bread, and when it wasn't, everyone was all, "...oh..."

Except, it delivered exceptionally well on its promise of "CoD with mechs and without Activision stupidity creep" and excellent, tight competitive multiplayer. A good game got derailed by a hype train. Although, in this case, I think Roberts is somewhat to blame for his own hype, whereas Respawn got dragged along by Microsoft's desperation to catch up to Sony's sales using their game. Regardless, if he delivers... I couldn't care less.

Me, I'm just stoked for a first person Escape Velocity with some amazing newtonian dogfighting. Also, killing people by slamming the afterburner and ramming my wing into their cockpit and breaking it off in their ship when I run out of ammo:

The fact that I can pull popsnizzle like that off got them another backer. :D
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'm really scared for Mr. Roberts. Say what you will about the publisher/studio relationship (most of it true), for better or worse, publishers keep a project on deadline; SC is what happens when there isn't real pressure to keep dreamy-eyed devs on target.

I'm also concerned that with virtual spaceships going for $250, greed is starting to overtake common sense over there (ie, forget more money, maybe we should should deliver a finished product soon?). Because despite all the gee-whizness of technology, humans are still....human.

Another Daikatana/Duke Nukem Forever in the making?
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostAtticus, on 02 April 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I'm really scared for Mr. Roberts. Say what you will about the publisher/studio relationship (most of it true), for better or worse, publishers keep a project on deadline; SC is what happens when there isn't real pressure to keep dreamy-eyed devs on target.

I'm also concerned that with virtual spaceships going for $250, greed is starting to overtake common sense over there (ie, forget more money, maybe we should should deliver a finished product soon?). Because despite all the gee-whizness of technology, humans are still....human.

Another Daikatana/Duke Nukem Forever in the making?

I don't think it will be quite like that but there are a lot of parallels. Unburdened by the traditional publisher deadlines Broussard just kept sinking money into a moving target. To me, a guy who has dealt with scope creep more times than I can count, the problem is the moving target. Scope creep is a problem in any project, in this sell 200 dolan ships to keep the budget growing it's insane (I wish I had dat budget). At least with the traditional kickstarter models the creep is only in the financing phase and then they get SOMETHING locked down. SC creep seems like it makes MMO feature creep look like childs play.

I donated money to the SC cause before it was even on kickstarter (I like wing commander). I just logged into my account and ok there is a hanger and a couple other bits. I just, I dunno. Been a lot of hype for things lately. I don't really care one way or the other, I view these crowd funding things as patronage rather than preordering (better than gambling worse than investing?).

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

In their defense, they did stop posting stretch goals, so there has been a feature lockdown of sorts, and there are several places they make it quite clear you cannot buy an advantage in the game and any purchaseable ship will be obtainable in-game for free later when it's actually ready for prime time. If people still want to throw money at them even with all that known, well, I won't stop them. The Arena Commander preview is really impressing me thus far.

They're not spending much more time on development than a lot of AAA titles... this would be the "start showing teasers at E3" phase for most games.

Either way, I think this year will tell the story. The FPS module is supposed to launch soon, and the first episode of the campaign is due out 2H 2015. We'll see if they stay on target.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

When they added a stealth ship to the game, they weren't kidding around. Puts a whole new spin on "hide inside an asteroid."

Posted Image

(I found a hole in the geometry on an asteroid just large enough to squeeze a small fighter through if you're careful. Then proceeded to fly around inside it, including poking my nose out of its surface for a peek.)

Eric5h5:

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

Haha, awesome. Love/Hate relationship with mesh bugs like that. The ones I hate is when you get inside, and then you cant really tell you are inside something (since the inside has no surface)... but then are suddenly 'unable to go anywhere' due to invisible barriers.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hey Frost, I'd be careful inside that asteroid.  You might run into one of these:

Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 April 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Haha, awesome. Love/Hate relationship with mesh bugs like that. The ones I hate is when you get inside, and then you cant really tell you are inside something (since the inside has no surface)... but then are suddenly 'unable to go anywhere' due to invisible barriers.

Indeed. Luckily the collision detection seems to be only one way. You can sail through the asteroid if you start from the inside out!

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 April 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

Hey Frost, I'd be careful inside that asteroid.  You might run into one of these:

Posted Image

Dear God.

Eric5h5: