• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Pillars of Eternity, courtesy of those nice folks at Obsidian, has arrived.

I've dipped my toe in the game; here are some very initial thoughts before I get around to composing a more thorough review.

1) For fans of the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) this is the real deal. The presentation and gameplay will make you feel instantly at home. This game doesn't use the D&D ruleset, but the classes (and races) available - paladin, druid, rogue, mage, to name but a few - are recognisable and familiar. They play as you would expect. You create a single protagonist (Baldur-style), and have the option to recruit more followers (up to five) to your party as you travel and discover them.

2) One of the more tedious aspects of the IE games has gone; you no longer need to camp to regenerate health. Combat is still turn based. Encumbrance is gone (and gear can be enchanted).

3) The game is dialogue (and text) heavy. You'll need to read it.

4) The art, and music, are gorgeous.

5) It's a surprisingly hefty download. The game requires 14.4 Gb of space on my HD. I'm playing on a 2012 MacBook Pro (8 Gb/2.5 GHz i5/HD 4000 graphics) and performance isn't an issue, but the laptop gets very hot during combat. It's also not cheap (the basic 'hero' edition will set you back $45), but I consider it worth every penny.

If you like the IE series this is pretty much a no-brainer purchase. If you're not a fan of party-based isometric role-players then your opinion is unlikely to be changed by this release.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Pretty much every review I've seen so far was raving, so Obsidian really seems to have done an excellent job. Another Kickstarter win for me! Yay! ;)

Now, if only my backlog wouldn't be so huge… :(

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:53 AM

yes, another kickstarter hit to make you forget the100 misses...

I was conscerned at first about the steep system requirements (GOG Version) but it seems to be ok in intel Iris.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

I only looked at the screenshots... is it all bitmap (ala BGs)? Or is it 3d rendered to look bitmapped (ala titans quests)?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostFrigidman&trade;, on 29 March 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

I only looked at the screenshots... is it all bitmap (ala BGs)? Or is it 3d rendered to look bitmapped (ala titans quests)?

It's like BG except the characters are 3D.

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

You can pan and zoom the game camera, but you can't rotate it. The game sprites are rendered in 3d, but the backgrounds are 2d.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the preliminary review. It sounds fantastic to me.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

Man, I wanna give an old-school RPG like this a try, but I think I'm too dumb. Games like these make feel like I have to pass some kind of entrance exam before I can play.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostAtticus, on 30 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Man, I wanna give an old-school RPG like this a try, but I think I'm too dumb. Games like these make feel like I have to pass some kind of entrance exam before I can play.

One certainly has to invest themselves into the game. I know when (actually I do) I have a game like this in the backlog, I keep putting it off and off because I need to find a time I can devote about half my mental capacity to enjoy the game, because I need to keep all the characters, story, events and everything fresh in my mind as I play the game, and NOT drop/pickup/drop/pickup the game off an on. So not only do I need to bank mental space, I need to bank time to play uninterrupted at least a bit every single day till its done.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostAtticus, on 30 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

I say go for it. But I understand your concerns. I'll try and address them for you here.

When I sit down to play a game like this I want to be able to concentrate for an hour or so to be drawn into the world, the characters within it, and the story unfolding before me. A useful comparison (for me at least) is the Diablo series. I enjoy these games too, but in a different way; they provide fast, mindless fun for 20 minutes when I have a bit of spare time in the evenings. They're fast food. They hit the spot.

The Infinity Engine games, for which PoE is a worthy successor, need to be supped and enjoyed, and played at their own pace. To put it into perspective I purchased the enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate a couple of years ago, and I'm still only about half way through the game. There's hundreds of hours of enjoyment to be had if you want that. The replay value is also high. That's not to say you can't sit down and finish these games in 20 hours, and that's fine, but you'll be missing out if you do.

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the input, very good food for thought, ppl.

I don't mind having to be totally immersed in a game (ie, having to read walls of text or spending an hour just creating a character), but time is a factor (I don't have time to play anything for more than an hour or so at a stretch). Which is why I also enjoy Diablo so much; mindless fun (same for Dragon Age Inquisition--you don't have to think too hard while playing on normal difficulty).  

The main problem with old school RPGs for me is combat-- when I read "tactical" or "turn-based" or "real-time combat with pause" my eyes glaze over (why I've never really gotten into RTS-es).  Managing the abilities of up to six party members when fighting brutally hard mobs just seems overwhelming.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#12 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

The combat can be quite challenging, and you'll want to plan things. That said, there's a difficulty slider, and I'd say that on balance the encounters (so far) are somewhat easier than those found in Icewind Dale and BG. You don't get overwhelmed with mobs as frequently.