8 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

I currently have a 4-bay RAID enclosure - because they sent me the wrong enclosure when i ordered the JBOD version; i'm looking to swap it out for a real JBOD solution because for the mass storage im using it for, im not particularly worried about RAID redundancy.. and upgrading the drives in the raid enclosure is a pain in the rear (buy new drives, put one in PC, move all files from RAID to PC, pull drives from RAID, erase them, put files from new drive back onto old drives, put new drives in RAID, RAID them up.. move all files back..) and i just want to be able to add new disks as needed.  

Prefer 4 bay; interface not super important as long as it supports USB (something) and doesn't break the bank.

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

Hmmmm. I have a Synology 1512+ that I bought a few years back. It's been real solid and has quite a bit of expansion options. I've also used the mercury elite pro enclosures from OWC at work to great success (ran some NetBoot and backup stores off of them).

At the time I bought the Synology box they looked like they were quite a bit a head of QNAP but that no longer appears to be the case. If I was going to buy a NAS again today I'd probably get a QNAP.

I don't know how easy it is to swap drives in the QNAP boxes but this synology is finger touch.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'll give another vote for Synology. The DSM interface is excellent, Mac compatibility is flawless, and it'll do whatever you want it to do: all the RAID levels, Synology Hybrid Disk (like RAID, but you can drop drives in without rebuilding the array), or JBOD. I've got a pair of 6TB DeskStar NAS drives in a Synology DS213+ and it's fantastic. The DSxx14 models are now toolless too.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

Those Synology drives look amazing, but are definitely a bit pricey for what i need them for.  If i had the spare cash id go for the DS414j (i think it's the j, consumer/home model) in a heartbeat.  May have to put off this upgrade until i can afford it, though the non-raid version of the one i have is only 99$ on Amazon right now.  Hopefully they send me the right one, if i order it =P

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, the price is because they're not really just drive enclosures, but rather a fully-fledged smart NAS. You can do everything with it up to and including using it as a UPnP media server with transcoding, e-mail server, DNS server, web server, iTunes server, Time Machine server, the center of a security and surveillance camera system, and so on. After having used one for a while though, OMG. I would spend the extra again in a heartbeat to have a DiskStation sitting on the network vs. sharing an enclosure from one of my Macs.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

If I had to buy one again today I'd probably buy one of these QNAPs

http://www.amazon.co...2&keywords=qnap

But I expect that synology to last a good long while yet.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

Microcenter had that exact QNAP on the shelf today when i went to grab a 6TB drive.  It was marked down almost 170$ to 209, so i grabbed it.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 21 March 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Microcenter had that exact QNAP on the shelf today when i went to grab a 6TB drive.  It was marked down almost 170$ to 209, so i grabbed it.

NAS
ALL
THE
FILES

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

2 days to move all the old files to the new NAS.  Heh.  That's what you get for a bum USB3 cable.  

If i do have one complaint, it's that the NAS doesn't appear to let you manage the disks - just create folders that go in a list.  Folders can span disks, or be on one disk, but you have no way to tell what is on where unless you click on it and get the properties.  

It's a bit annoying.  I'd like to just be able to mount the whole disk and see the three disks as separate disks, and THEN see the subfolders and what not.