DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

I just got an email from Aspyr with this wonderful news!

Command & Conquer: Generals Deluxe Edition Reporting for Duty

One of the finest real-time strategy games to ever hit the Mac, Command & Conquer: Generalsand its expansion, Zero Hour, are now available to download in one single package on the Mac App Store!

Features:
  • Classic C&C updated to run on modern Macs
  • Support for up to 5K resolution
  • Local and online multiplayer
  • And more!

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

You can bet your butt I'm buying this! Especially since the PC version is buggy as hell with networking and hasn't been updated in like a decade. Mac version was in the same state, but I'm happy to hear it's getting a fix!

Best entry in the C&C series aside from the original.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostFrost, on 12 March 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

You can bet your butt I'm buying this! Especially since the PC version is buggy as hell with networking and hasn't been updated in like a decade. Mac version was in the same state, but I'm happy to hear it's getting a fix!

Best entry in the C&C series aside from the original.

Wrong, RA3 was the best entry. It's expected for you to be wrong though, being from texas and all.

Posted Image

Aspyr should get the rights to RA3 and make an updated version of it. I was a sucker and bought it for Windows and OS X. I'll settle for game ranger networking. I mean hell even the PC version is dead due to gamespy going offline. I have had some success with some of the mods out there to re-enable networking (http://cnc-online.net)
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3821 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

But RA3 is available on MGS? Am I missing something here? :huh:
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:46 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 March 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

But RA3 is available on MGS? Am I missing something here? :huh:

I would guess he'd prefer a native port and the expansion included as one might expect with an Aspyr release.

In the meantime though, that reminds me after reading here somewhere that RA3 works fine still, I need to make a MGS account and buy it. I've been meaning to for quite a while to get Heroes of Might and Magic V as well.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 March 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Wrong, RA3 was the best entry. It's expected for you to be wrong though, being from texas and all.
GTFO with that heresy. Tiberian Dawn and Generals forever.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

I just installed Tiberian Dawn in a Parallels XP VM and it seems to start up and run fine from the Origin client. I bought the package with the whole shooting match some time back and really enjoyed the first game despite issues with scrolling speed. The game was so enjoyable I just worked around that the best I could. I couldn't bring myself to do it again for Red Alert but then I found OpenRA

http://www.openra.net

These guys are also doing work on other early C&C titles. OpenRA starts up fine here but I haven't played it yet. I do plan to play that before Tiberian Dawn and with any luck they'll have the mod for that done when I get to it.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 13 March 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

I would guess he'd prefer a native port and the expansion included as one might expect with an Aspyr release.

In the meantime though, that reminds me after reading here somewhere that RA3 works fine still, I need to make a MGS account and buy it. I've been meaning to for quite a while to get Heroes of Might and Magic V as well.

The game still works but the networking is broken (as a Cider port it just used Gamespy same as the Windows version). There's no hooking app like CNC Online for OS X (there's usually a dozen or so people on CNC Online at any given time). Given the game specifically was designed as a CO-OP game this is immensely disappointing. Gearbox patched Borderlands with steamworks instead of gamespy and it's from the same era. EA could do the same, but EA doesn't support jack after 6 months past release. IF someone like Aspyr picked up the ball I would accept Game Ranger networking just to have some sort of pool of people to play with.

The RA3 expansion sucked, was more of a side game really.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 March 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

The game still works but the networking is broken (as a Cider port it just used Gamespy same as the Windows version). There's no hooking app like CNC Online for OS X (there's usually a dozen or so people on CNC Online at any given time). Given the game specifically was designed as a CO-OP game this is immensely disappointing. Gearbox patched Borderlands with steamworks instead of gamespy and it's from the same era. EA could do the same, but EA doesn't support jack after 6 months past release. IF someone like Aspyr picked up the ball I would accept Game Ranger networking just to have some sort of pool of people to play with.

The RA3 expansion sucked, was more of a side game really.

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked recently but I thought Game Ranger was dead on Mac. Has that changed? Guess I will go look now. lol

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

I meant game center. Game center networking. Game Center. Game Ranger. Game poop. :sabber:

Game Ranger isn't going to be updated for OS X.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 March 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

I meant game center. Game center networking. Game Center. Game Ranger. Game poop. :sabber:

Game Ranger isn't going to be updated for OS X.

Okay, thanks. I did try it and found it didn't work, etc. Oh, well.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

Some of you glorious bastards should hook up with me to do some Mac comp stomping tonight in Command & Conquer: Generals Deluxe Edition. tBC got me feeling all nostalgic.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 08 January 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

tBC got me feeling all nostalgic.

I simply waved some MacAddicts and a Fat Mac case cracking kit under his nose and he's been all wet and slinky ever since.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 08 January 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Some of you glorious bastards should hook up with me to do some Mac comp stomping tonight in Command & Conquer: Generals Deluxe Edition. tBC got me feeling all nostalgic.

Oh frak yes, fragging the AI in one of my favorite RTSes ever. About what time? If I can be there, I will be.

Eric5h5:

#15 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

I might have to look into this myself…

As I did love me some Generals, it was always annoying I never really had enough friends who knew the game well enough.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3821 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

Is it headed for MGS?

View PostFrost, on 13 March 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

GTFO with that heresy. Tiberian Dawn and Generals forever.
TD never did it for me, because they totally bailed on the initial promises about being able to go down to the battlefield and play as a single solider.I watched a video that was included on a MacAddict disc MANY times, that showed how it was supposed to look. Pre-rendered yes, but mind blowing at the same time. They of course never included that those bastards.

C&C1 is the shiat for me. Awesome game back then.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

I fell asleep lol. 50 hour weeks kill me. I am try and be on tonight after 8cst

#18 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

UGGGGHHH this is for real.

http://support.aspyr...-11-El-Capitan-

So kids are taking a nap. I go to fire up C&C Generals to brush up having not played since the beginning of time. Crash. Crash. Crash. Ok lets google this popsnizzle. Maybe I need to reset a .plist. Oh its fraking broken as frak on 10.11. Awesome.

Thanks applebama.

wqeopiuryalkdsjwfhqwyerquweroqiuwerpoiweur;fklsadjfoquiewr

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 January 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Quoted for Tru7h.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 January 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

UGGGGHHH this is for real.

http://support.aspyr...-11-El-Capitan-

So kids are taking a nap. I go to fire up C&C Generals to brush up having not played since the beginning of time. Crash. Crash. Crash. Ok lets google this popsnizzle. Maybe I need to reset a .plist. Oh its fraking broken as frak on 10.11. Awesome.

Thanks applebama.

Well that blows. I guess there are some perks to my still being on Mavericks; it runs perfectly over here.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 09 January 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

TD never did it for me, because they totally bailed on the initial promises about being able to go down to the battlefield and play as a single solider.I watched a video that was included on a MacAddict disc MANY times, that showed how it was supposed to look. Pre-rendered yes, but mind blowing at the same time. They of course never included that those bastards.

C&C1 is the shiat for me. Awesome game back then.

Uh, I think you're thinking of Tiberian Sun. C&C1 and Tiberian Dawn are one and the same.

Eric5h5: