#1 drabyss78

drabyss78

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

Two I was wondering if anyone had played:

1) Hand of Fate I picked up early access around Christmas. and it is excellent--sadly though, my Mini lags badly further in.  Ug.

2) Also thinking of trying Ziggurat which looks/is supposed to be excellent.  Anyone played it?

Also (yes, I know I said 2) looks like Rake in Grass's beat em up rpg hybrid Rampage Knights will go steam early access next week.  I plan to check it out as the early demo was pretty good.  The new video they just put up looks even better.

#2 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

I played Ziggurat. It's both has some impressive elements and you can't expect too much from it.

The base gameplay is focused on Doom like dodging gameplay, it's not a type of gameplay you find much in modern FPS, that is it'(s focused on dodging. Modern FPS are much more about fast shoot and kill, fat movements and eventually fast use of covers. So that aspect of the gameplay is very well done, and it extends and develop rather well this aspect of Doom gameplay. But it's just a part of Doom gameplay and this game doesn't develop the other aspects. Another aspect to highlight is how it looks surprisingly good.

There's only 6 levels, or perhaps 7, but they have a random generation, and a large part of the gameplay is based on unlocks, new characters, new weapons, more. The random is clearly procedurally generated and there's even some secrets. It's well done but all in all, it's mostly arena based with obstacles. It's not random and there's thematic, but the arena like approach is limited.

Finally it's Roguelike with Permadeath only mode and relatively hard, the duration is based on unlocks and gradually progress. I probably reach level 4 and after multiple tries not going further I gave up, I felt I had reach a bit my limit of compentency (I'm rather old and not inclined to train a lot to an action game to improve my skills).

I didn't appreciated that there's a sort of protection so you can't backup and restore a save. And on Mac I got crash until I changed some setup in video preferences, not sure what pref it was, perhaps deactivate blur.

So overall it has both impressive design elements and cool gameplay qualities, and a content relatively limited. Myself I wouldn't advise it, but it also clearly worth a try, it's a must for people enjoying original gameplay.

#3 drabyss78

drabyss78

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the review. I think it my be something I'd like.  I know they are different styles of games altogether, but it seems to have a Dungeon Defenders like flavor to it, only fps and no tower defense building.

#4 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

Dungeon Defenders, good game but I haven't played it since a long time, I don't like Multiplayer and played less and finally gave up play the game when it became forced online.

I don't know DD is more tactical, Ziggurat is more action oriented. I'm not fan of Ziggurat, I'd expect more levels, lower difficulty or difficulty settings, but yeah a game to play anyway. Tower of guns would be more in same category than Ziggurat, it has more sophisticated levels, more levels diversity but it looks ugly and it is less attaching than Ziggurat, but for me same problem of difficulty, moreover ToG has a design problem of not controlling very well the difficulty increase.

#5 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

I played Hand of Fate, and still play it now and then—and that is the nice thing about this game, you can pick it up for quick break here and there, as an average session is about 15-20 mins long. The trick is not to fall into the "Oh-just-one-more-round" trap, which isn't all that easy, as HoF is pretty fun. Basically every time you play you get random locations, boons/curses, equipment, and enemies in the form of cards, with each game culminating in a boss encounter. Many cards tell some kind of story in which you have decide what action to take, others result in a mini-game of chance that will either reward you with gold or items or punish you with losing them. When a monster card comes up, you have to fight "Batman: Arkham Asylum" style, equipped with whatever weapons and armor etc. you acquired in the form of cards. Death results in the end of your current game, although you will keep any new cards you earned for your "deck." Since you have limited control over what cards you want to be included in each play (and none over what cards the dealer holds), the game is different every time, at least to the extent that cards will come up in different orders, while some may not come up at all, etc. The thing that remains the same is that you'll have to defeat a boss at the end of each "level;" until you do so, you won't get a shot at the next boss. If that sounds like hella fun to you, I'd say Hand of Fate is well worth the default price of $19.99; otherwise, wait for a sale. Hope this helps.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3