19 replies to this topic

#1 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

I've had Norton Anti-virus for Mac (version 11) on my machine since purchase, but it appears that virus definition updates are no longer being offered to folks using version 11, and version 12 won't run on 10.6.8. Does anyone have suggestions on what to run instead? Seems like I'll have to delete Norton completely and get something else that's still compatible with Snow Leopard.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Sophos is still compatible with 10.6 but speaking from experience, why bother? I've been using Macs since 1994 and I currently manage a network of 2000 Macs. The only thing that's ever come in is a couple instances of Genio, and ffffffflipin EPM didn't even catch that.

You should be more concerned with shady popsnizzle like this.

http://www.thesafema...talling-adware/
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

I back macdude22's response.

On my PC I run MSE, which is great and free.
On my Macs, nope. Nothing. And yeah, just following a few rules keeps you clean and clear on a Mac.

In fact I do most my random PC downloading to my mac first, so that I can use the PC to 'scan the shared directory' before moving the files over to the PC. Sometimes just the sheer act of downloading a file on the PC will infect it haha.

I've never seen the point in paying a company a monthly fee for anti-virus protection. It makes me think those companies are the ones responsible for a majority of the random viruses out there to stir up fear and justify them charging a monthly fee for new protection files. ;)

But if you really want something for OSX 10.6.8 ... uhm... maybe look into a linux/unix solution? Run from commandline, do it the hardcore way. I'm trying to think which of those is the best though hmmmmmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Unless you share files with Windows machines, either personally or work related, don't waste your money, time and resources on anti-virus applications.

There are currently no viruses in the wild for OSX.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

I use ClamXav (it's free). I work in academia and there are a lot of infected Windows boxes around on campus.

But as Thain Esh Kelch said, in general, you don't need to worry about AV on OS X.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#6 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thanks! I've been wondering whether I could just get away with nothing at all. I'm using MSE on my Windows7 BootCamp partition, and I'm happy to dump Norton on the Mac side. It's just been there so long that I stopped thinking about it.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

Honestly the only guys I would actually trust is Intego, doing ONLY Macs they have a vested interest in doing a good jerb, or at least not grinding my system to a halt. I actually tested their business offering Flextivity with good success when I was trying to get us off McAfee (but you know, organizational politics). However their latest software requires 10.7 or higher.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

If you use Intego, do not turn on their full services, as it basically gimps you across the internet. Plus MGS App gets very angry with you ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

I didn't say I recommend it just that if you throw a variety of genuine Macintosh samples at several clients, intego's engine will identify the most. Their UI and marketing are, shall we say, less desirable.

:teehee:

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

I use Intego.  I turn the net services off, I just use the virus/malware part of it.  My poor Amiga friend back in 89 kept having his cursor turn into a penis while he was trying to showcase his Amiga to ween me off of Macs.  I told him I wasn't into penises as much as he was.  I had a virus once, it made my compy beep at random times.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 March 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I use Intego.  I turn the net services off, I just use the virus/malware part of it.  My poor Amiga friend back in 89 kept having his cursor turn into a penis while he was trying to showcase his Amiga to ween me off of Macs.  I told him I wasn't into penises as much as he was.  I had a virus once, it made my compy beep at random times.

That was just me, I installed one of the jokes from the The Macintosh Joker. *snicker*

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

There were a lot of "joke" haxies, but I dont know if they are considered viruses or just people being ornery against co-workers ;)

I liked the one with the random 'dot' ... or the bug that would scamper across the screen so fast the user couldnt actually tell if it was graphics, or a real bug! hahaha.

I recall the one that put up a dialog box: "Oops and error occurred, do you want to format your whole drive?" and the only button was "Yes".

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

I haxed a friend at work.  I changed his DEC VAX system login script to read his home directory and display every file with an official looking but phony VAX style system delete message.  They just rolled down his monitor while he yelled and fumbled trying to stop it.  I har hared but he asked me to test his admin security so it was his own damn fault.  He was convinced it was all going down the tubes.  He thanked me after his blood pressure came back down to Earth Normal, and that was only after he read his home directory a couple of times.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hahaha... god, VAX. I recall programming early AI in that. Not one the more enjoyable things I did in my life.

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

VAX BASIC was an awesome development platform for banking and real estate applications programming.  We could do anything we were asked, the system services were such that you didn't find one to do your bidding you could write one and because it was object file linkable and compiled you could include any prewritten object file in your library, or write assembly language modules that were fast and to the point.  Buffers and registers and stacks oh my! </nerddororthy>
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

Of course, the real badasses amongst us would have dropped Squeaky Toy into the extension folders of the most crucial machines at work.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#17 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

My school makes me use Kaspersky.

Don't use Kaspersky.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Why notsky?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

I got a WDEF way waaaaay way back in Mac Plus days, when I wasn't much older than the computers I was using. That's been my only brush with a virus.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#20 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 March 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

Why notsky?

Because I saidsky
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB