Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostFrost, on 04 April 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Too bad for them FM's corsair comes with a pre-made deployable Tholian web consisting only of round holes!

LMAO.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#62 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

Jumped into Elite this weekend with Mac Beta 3.0.

The bad performance is making this game frustrating (on a MacBook Pro Retina 2012 [which has 650M]). I hope it improves a lot by release.

#63 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:46 AM

View PostSpike, on 26 April 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Jumped into Elite this weekend with Mac Beta 3.0.

The bad performance is making this game frustrating (on a MacBook Pro Retina 2012 [which has 650M]). I hope it improves a lot by release.
I guess you mean the less than optimal framerate in or around space stations. They are onto that. In fact, the situation has quite improved already since the Beta 1.0. In other regions of space, on the other hand, the performance is surprisingly close to the Windows version.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#64 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

So I've been hearing that grinders and bankers are starting to become a growing problem in E:D, and there aren't many countermeasures in place to deal with that behavior. Any truth to that?

EDIT: LOL. Good old iPad autocorrect. Griefers and gankers. I imagine E:D already has plenty of grinders and bankers.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#65 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostFrost, on 27 April 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

So I've been hearing that grinders and bankers are starting to become a growing problem in E:D, and there aren't many countermeasures in place to deal with that behavior. Any truth to that?

EDIT: LOL. Good old iPad autocorrect. Griefers and gankers. I imagine E:D already has plenty of grinders and bankers.

Heh, at first I thought you were talking about them pesky credit farmers who go and try to illegally sell in-game currency for real life currency.

But you mean the other thing... which, is why I don't like PVP servers in general. Too many wholeasses.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#66 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

Gankers are the main reason I left Eve Online, especially since the developers encourage it.

In Elite, I am expecting to play the Solo option because of possible ganking.

#67 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:02 AM

View PostFrost, on 27 April 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Grinders only bore themselves and others with their complaints about boredom, but bankers are of course always a problem. ;)

Anyway, there surely are grinders and gankers in ED, but the problem is not as bad as some people make it: there are about 400,000 players, spread over several thousand systems and distributed into small instances with 32 players top (mostly less). Normally, it's pretty rare you meet an asshole, although there are a few of systems where they seem to concentrate.

That said, being a bastard and committing wanton murder is a valid gameplay choice according to the developers - as long as you don't exploit certain game elements or simply overdo it. In the first case, these elements usually get tweaked to prevent further abuse. In the other case, you might find yourself sooner or later in a game devoid of any other human player, no matter if you choose to play in open mode or not. The latter seems to be the last resort, but judging from the forums, already happened a couple of times.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#68 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

Haha ... "Exiled". Better than being banned outright huh?

-Fm [1oM7]

#69 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

Things are getting serious: the Mac version of ED will officially released on May 12. Next Tuesday, of course.

#70 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

You need to get an E:D Tuesday meme going. They're playing right into your hands with this.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#71 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

The performance of the release did improve from Beta. Playing with the minimum requirement of Nvidia GT 650M is playable.

#72 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

I keep picturing Bob Dole in my head doing a commercial for ED.

Sorry, all the E:D references gave me a flashback.

This game looks awesome but I am going to put it off for now in favor of other stuff I already own and haven't yet gotten to. One of these days it would be nice to hop on board a new exciting release when it is happening despite the higher cost. One of these days...
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#73 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 13 May 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

This game looks awesome but I am going to put it off for now in favor of other stuff I already own and haven't yet gotten to. One of these days it would be nice to hop on board a new exciting release when it is happening despite the higher cost. One of these days...

I hear that. Last time I did that I got so burned, I am now gunshy. So now, I run with a backlog of slightly older games for rock bottom prices, and they all perform well as they are designed for 2yo top of the line computers, instead of tomorrow top of the line computers.

-Fm [1oM7]

#74 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

The last newsletter had a short interview with Frontier Development's Mac producer. I think i's an interesting read, not only regarding ED specifically, but also Mac porting in general:

Elite: Dangerous for Mac launched this week, so we sat down with Mac Producer Richard Benton to discuss the challenges his team faced bringing Elite: Dangerous to the new platform, and how their work will make the game even better wherever you play.

//When the team first began work on Mac, what were the immediate challenges?//

Well, Mac OS X has a whole different way of talking to the hardware. OpenGL is a very different environment to Windows' DirectX and all the systems in a game like Elite: Dangerous are treated differently. All the things you take for granted in Windows need to be reengineered for Mac OS X; even something as simple as using a microphone for chat.

//And what about Mac hardware?//

Mac hardware is almost everything you'd want as a developer, because it tends to have huge amounts of RAM, fast processors and high-resolution screens. The one challenge is the graphics processor. Some Mac hardware uses lower power small form-factor GPUs which can’t match the level of performance you’d get in a larger full sized graphics card. They're still great GPUs, but it's something you have to consider as a developer.

//So how did you make Elite: Dangerous for Mac match the PC version?//

Well when you port to OpenGL, there are some things you can predict. The lighting and shadows don’t generally behave, so we targeted those immediately. Then we looked at anywhere performance took a hit on PC. You don't really notice if it takes half a second to load a texture, but on Mac it was two or three seconds before optimisation and it was really obvious. We went to work on optimisation across the board.

Best of all, much of what we did to optimise Elite: Dangerous for Mac is going back into the PC version with the Powerplay update, along with all the new features and content. We are continuing to optimise the game all the time, and some of the re-factoring we are doing alongside the Xbox One will also benefit other platforms too.

//What's next for the team?//

We’ll continue to support the game on every platform. Elite: Dangerous is a living game and the optimisations we go on to make for Xbox One will come over to Mac and PC, too. And of course we're aiming to update Mac day and date with the PC version, because we have them running on the same server.

//And do you have a message to the players who offered feedback during the Mac beta process?//

Their help has been invaluable. They've helped us identify challenges and get almost instant feedback on changes we made. Today people tell us Elite: Dangerous runs better natively on their Mac hardware in Mac OS than it did on the same machine running bootcamp. That’s testament to the team’s hard work and the great feedback we received. It meant a lot to us to get Mac right, and I’m excited to meet all the new Mac Commanders out in our galaxy!

They really did a good job on the Mac version, especially regarding the performance: in general, the framerate is very similar to what I see under Bootcamp (Win 8.1) with the same settings. To give some numbers (all values in the form "fps OS X // fps Windows"):
  • normal space flight/dogfighting 50–60 // 60–70
  • "supercruise" (i.e. interplanetary travel) 45–60 // 30–60 (<--- that's probably where the statement about better performance under OS X than under Bootcamp comes from)
  • normal space flight near space stations ~30 // ~30
  • inside space stations ~25 // ~30
That said, there are a few graphical glitches (e.g. in regard to shadows) and the Mac version seems to have lost some of the more sophisticated, but quite subtle lighting effects.

#75 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

Buhhhh I might have to buy this just to see it for myself. The lone game that performs as good or better under OS X. Plus, Star Citizen is never going to come out. At least I have my sweet Star Citizen card to cry myself to sleep with.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#76 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

I got as far as signing up for their forum.

-Fm [1oM7]

#77 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 15 May 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Buhhhh I might have to buy this just to see it for myself. The lone game that performs as good or better under OS X.
Well, you can actually expect things to "normalise" soon a bit: the Mac version's slight advantage at times is due to shader caching, that the Windows version does not have – yet. But they will back-port that in the upcoming next big patch, so the Windows version will gain a bit in performance.

#78 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

I so want this game.

-Fm [1oM7]

#79 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 May 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

Well, you can actually expect things to "normalise" soon a bit: the Mac version's slight advantage at times is due to shader caching, that the Windows version does not have – yet. But they will back-port that in the upcoming next big patch, so the Windows version will gain a bit in performance.

I'm just saying, 9 out of 10 games perform like donkey testicles on OS X vs. the same game under windows on the exact same hardware in my experience. I still reboot to play borderlands and serious sam even though they are available for OS X (serious sam isn't too bad under OS X but its still got a hefty hit)\

I ordered it but it has said processing for a while now. Hopefully it's just slow and I didn't get my debit card locked by buying Gas in Iowa city, Liqour in grinnell, and a game in the UK in the span of 60 minutes.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#80 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

I dabbled with the original back in the early 80s on the classroom BBC micro during the lunch hour. Never could manage the docking,
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Elite, Preview