5 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Not strictly a "gaming" issue - i recently had the opportunity to basically re-build my machine with slightly newer parts (sold the original to a buddy in the Navy who needed a small rig).

Same case, GPU, RAM, etc, but i got to replace the "older" i7 4770K and Gigabyte Z87 board with a newer i7 4790K and Z97 board.  

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Windows 8.1.

USB 3.0 speeds are abysmal - hovering at 20MB/sec sustained to a USB thumb drive.  

Trying to figure out what could be causing this, as i did not have this problem with the Z87/Win 7 combo.  

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi mITX; i have downloaded and installed all of the most up to date drivers from Gigabyte's website.  

Any other clues on troubleshooting this problem?

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 February 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Not strictly a "gaming" issue - i recently had the opportunity to basically re-build my machine with slightly newer parts (sold the original to a buddy in the Navy who needed a small rig).

Same case, GPU, RAM, etc, but i got to replace the "older" i7 4770K and Gigabyte Z87 board with a newer i7 4790K and Z97 board.  

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Windows 8.1.

USB 3.0 speeds are abysmal - hovering at 20MB/sec sustained to a USB thumb drive.  

Trying to figure out what could be causing this, as i did not have this problem with the Z87/Win 7 combo.  

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi mITX; i have downloaded and installed all of the most up to date drivers from Gigabyte's website.  

Any other clues on troubleshooting this problem?

The Windows 8.1 USB drivers use reverse Polish notation when parsing out data packets, the Z87/Win 7 combo still relies on the old tech Crawley's Conjecture method.  What you need to do is to hot patch your Z97N PICA-2 controller with the FISA controller chip from any MOBO as the interface.  Just swap it in.  This hardwires the new codec rather than relying on incompatible software, so you may need test any further software upgrades to see if they now comply.  If they do, simply reconfigure to the original specs and you are gold.  That'll be 5 bucks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 subert

subert

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Wait.. what usb drive you have ?

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

I have the nova beta Apple Tanga USB port architecture featuring the long awaited Pre-rendered Macrobiotic Ultra codec V1.0b soon to be featured in the next release.  Look for it in November.  Tell them the Battle Cat sent you.  Bring a comfy pillow.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 subert

subert

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

That is a port ,but what usb stick you got ? Not all usb 3.0 are fast,some are just a little faster than usb 2.0.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

The port architecture is used in both the port and the stick for handshaking.  The nano textured sub surfaces make the difference between fast and slow seem irrelevant especially in an endothermic environment.  This is the basis for all subspace theory, and it works beautifully in this application under these parameters.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat