• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

I'm starting this thread for my benefit as much as everyone else's. There's a bunch <insert collective noun of your choice> of isometric, party-based RPGs coming to the Mac. It's 1998 again and you're playing Baldur's Gate on your lime green G3 iMac. It's that good.

So, to keep track of what's what, what's hot, (and what's not), here's the list. Please add to it. In no particular order....

1) Pillars of Eternity ('Project Eternity' on Kickstarter). The IWD/Planescape Torment/Fallout guys. Should be big. Bigger than the biggest thing you can imagine right now. March 2015. http://eternity.obsidian.net

2) Torment - Tides of Numenera. The 'spiritual successor' to Planescape Torment (- which is available nicely wrapped for OS X on GoG. Give it a go if you haven't already). Scheduled for a late 2015 release. https://torment.inxi...tertainment.com

3) Seven Dragon Saga. From TSI. It promises 'characters touched by the winds of chaos'. It's got a newsletter. What more do you want? http://www.tsi-games...saga-tsi-games/ . Kickstarter cancelled!

4) Lords of Xulima. An unknown quantity from a Spanish development house. The (PC) beta is available on Steam, Mac version imminent. http://www.lordsofxulima.com

5) Serpent in the Staglands.'Early 2015' - the premise is inspired by Bronze Age Transylvania. http://serpentinthestaglands.com

-----

Already out there: You probably already know about these games, but if not, you have no excuse now. Not one. Trent Oster and pals have released enhanced editions of the Infinity Engine classics Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale. What's enhanced about them, you say? I'm glad you asked. The games work with modern versions of OS X (10.6.8 or later). The GUIs have been spruced up, bugs (mostly) squished, and the resolution bumped up. The sprites, and other art assets are unchanged. New player character kits are available for IWD fans (blackguards, totemic druids, wizard slayers, that kind of jazz). Triffic.

Divinity: Original Sin. From Larian Studios. Don't know much about this one, didn't play Divine Divinity back in the day. But people seem to like it. Anyone?

Jeff Vogel is beavering away and continuing to refresh his 90's-tastic Exile games. Avernum 2: Crystal Souls is the latest. These are properly meaty, properly wordy, story-driven turn-based tactical role-players. The presentation is a little primitive, but they promise - and deliver - hundreds of hours of gaming.

Doubtless I've missed a bunch of games. If I've omitted your favourite please dive in and add it. I'm excited about what's coming.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hadn't heard about Seven Dragon Saga before. Are there any screenshots, or movies out yet, to show of the style? The website does not seem to have anything.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:54 AM

Also already out: Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Wasteland 2. Upcoming: Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Beamdog is allegedly also working on a new game running on the Infinity Engine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 January 2015 - 02:54 AM, said:

Beamdog is allegedly also working on a new game running on the Infinity Engine.
Which is currently called "Project Y". Is there actually any information regarding this project, apart from taking place between BG1 and BG2? I have yet to see confirmation that it will actually be a stand alone game.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 January 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:

Hadn't heard about Seven Dragon Saga before. Are there any screenshots, or movies out yet, to show of the style? The website does not seem to have anything.

Just concept and character art at the moment. The game was announced in Sept 2014 according to IGN, so things are still in very early development.

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

I haven't heard anything about it coming to Mac yet, but would Dragon Age: Inquisition count on this list (assuming it was on Mac)?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

It will most likely not make it to the Mac, so it i pointless to put it on. Also, it is not isometric.

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 January 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

It will most likely not make it to the Mac, so it i pointless to put it on. Also, it is not isometric.

During combat you can enter an isometric-ish view if you choose to.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 19 January 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

I am so angru. :moreangry:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Add yet another old-school isometric RPG to the list.

http://serpentinthestaglands.com/

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostTacohead, on 19 January 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Add yet another old-school isometric RPG to the list.

http://serpentinthestaglands.com/

-PN

Interesting. I didn't know about that one at all. I'm intrigued by the 'Transylvanian Bronze Age' setting.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 19 January 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

During combat you can enter an isometric-ish view if you choose to.
Well, I don't think that is reason enough to call it an isometric game.. ;)

#13 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Seven Dragon Saga has now appeared on Kickstarter. Updating the original post to reflect this.

(I wasn't aware that SDS was going to be Kickstarted when I first learned about it, but tis the way of the world these days it seems)

#14 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Divinity: Original Sin is a wonder. Not since Baldur's Gate II have I experienced this kind of immersion in an RPG—and it's a lot more flexible to play, too.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3

#15 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

Lords of Xulima was already out on Mac before the date shown for the OP (14 February) it's been released on Mac since last year. Despite it is a huge RPG (100H+ play) and it's much less indie than most indie RPG as Spiderweb or even Eschalon Book, it's still more indie than the other quoted. It's a must for RPG fans, there's great design elements, it's huge, but there's a lot of combats, for most players the combats density is probably too high.

I didn't knew anything about Seven Dragon Saga and the KS started:
https://www.kickstar...ations-interact
I'll investigate and if the Mac release is garanteed and it's simultaneous multi OS release, high chance I pledge.

About other coming party RPG for Mac and not quoted by OP:
- Legend of Grimrock 2
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Massive Chalice (it's party, it's turn based, it's with RPG elements, but yeah it's more on XCOM side, I played a late Early Access version and found it already a great game)
- Darkest Dungeon (it's more Roguelike but party anyway)
- The Banner Saga 2
- Antharion
- Cosmic Star Heroine
- Telepath Tactics
- Legends of Eisenwald (mac release not fully confirmed yet)

And some non party RPG coming on Mac also worth a quote (even if I prefer party RPG and turn based):
- The Witcher 3
- Shadow of Mordor
- Consortium
- 7 Days to Die
- Project Zomboid
- Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (MMO approach, not sure a single player mode will ever been released)
- Dragon Fin Soup

About party RPG released on Mac last year or this year, to complete OP short list:
- Blackguards 2 (a bit disappointing in comparison with the 1, but great writing and touching story)
- Pixel Heroes (just a light Roguelike with party, but I quoted it because its fun surprised me)
- Wasteland 2 (big one)
- Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut (my 2014 GOTY)
- Steam Marines (light party Roguelike, fun and a cool light Spacehulk mood)
- Might & Magic X (much better than is saying its fame)
- The Banner Saga
- Heroes of a Broken Land
- Blackguards 1

Plus some other non party based released on Mac this year or last year:
- Torchlight II (finally released on Mac)
- Raven's Cry (caution it seems it needs many more patches and gameplay tuning, I have it already but wait a better version)
- Fight The Dragon
- Neo Scavenger
- Diablo III Reaper of Souls
- Eschalon Book III
- Mount & Blade: Warband

#16 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Wait a second... 'Shadows of Mordor' is coming to the Mac!? Seriously? And the Witcher 3, too? I mean, I've felt cautiously optimistic (in the parlance of our time) about The Wild Hunt, since all previous Witcher titles made it to the Mac. But Shadows of Mordor, huh? That'd be nice.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3

#17 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

Yes it's been confirmed for Mordor, at first it was Feral working on Linux version that was mentioned, but later Feral mentioned the Mac release through a twit (seen on GameAgent blog). Seems Mac version will be later than Linux version.

For TW3 I think you are right it's not really confirmed clearly. Initially Mac and Linux release was clearly quoted, then not anymore mentioned and again Linux release was quoted but not anymore the Mac release. Possibly Mac release version will be delayed because of a problem of OpenGL version supported by OSX

#18 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

Well, thank you for that! Another thing to look forward to—hopefully without an eventual disappointment. ;-)

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 January 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I am so angru. :moreangry:

Lose the leather jacket and vodka comrade.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

TSI's Seven Dragon Saga KickStarter's been cancelled as of 23 Mar 15.

From David Klein on the KS campaign website: "We’re postponing our Kickstarter campaign. No, TSI is NOT giving up on Seven Dragon Saga! Quite the contrary. We’ve done some serious reflection and come to the conclusion that we can’t create the level of RPG today that we know we’ll be able to create tomorrow. <snip>...We've had incredibly positive results from this Kickstarter. The press awareness, fan response, and community feedback has been tremendous. We're taking that feedback and what we've learned to refine our work further. We'll be coming back as soon as humanly possible, with a better, more refined Kickstarter, and some code you'll actually be able to play, along with killer videos and artwork."