• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

So I purchased a mac from 2008, with no warranty. It was running great for at least 6 months before it suddenly started freezing. I thought it was due to it overheating, or too much CPU or something... as it would freeze when I was watching a video or something, but later realised it just froze about 40 minutes after starting up whatever I was doing, even if I wasn't doing anything on it!
So this was liveable with. I tried everything and there was no way to revive it from being frozen other than restarting, so I just restarted it every 40 minutes not a problem... after the restart it was good as new.
Then I did something really stupid. The new Yosemite update became available and obviously I had to update, so whilst I was working away on the mac I set the update in the background. It downloaded etc completely and started to update... everything was going fine when suddenly the mac freezes, so I restart it and then obviously it now doesn't recognise it as having any OS. So luckily I have everything backed up, so this is no problem I can just reinstall the whole thing from start up (been meaning to do this anyway to try and fix the problem). The only thing is... it can't even restart to the last OS as it will just freeze 40 minutes into that one... so now it is completely stuck.
Any suggestions?
There is no way I want to pay for someone just to look at it/try and fix it, as it is old and probably worth less than it'll cost to fix, if it is fixable. I am also quite computer savvy and would rather do it myself. (Except I've had windows computers all my life... and still learning about mac).

Any suggestions would be really helpful.
Regards.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

Try to get an external drive, get another mac to install a system on it and start from that instead. That should also tell if it is the harddrive.

You should monitor the temperature anyway though, it sounds as if that could be the problem. In the case, it may be possible to get it to run longer during the winter, with a window open... Long enough to install a new OS. :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

A good place to start would be telling us what kind of Mac it is. Mac Pro? Mac mini? MacBook Pro?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

Oh yes, of course sorry. It's a macbook pro 2008

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

Does it make lots of "mechanical" clicks and buzzing sounds while working? If so that would be a sign of hard drive failure.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Nope, no sounds like that or any sounds at all really.

#7 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

MBP 2008 was known to have defective GPU (8600M or 9600M). Could be related to your problem.

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

If it was the GPU then wouldn't he not get anything on the screen at all - or if he did it would look all funky?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 22 December 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

If it was the GPU then wouldn't he bit get anything on the screen at all
Not necessarily. Weird crashes and kernel panics can be symptoms of failing GPU.

#10 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

*She

To be honest I reckon it is probably something to do with the GPU. I have never seen the kernel panic sign though that people say show up on the screen.

#11 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

I would procede like this
1) Run AHT http://support.apple.../en-us/HT201257 (run extended test to check RAM)
2) Backup all data to external drive, wipe internal drive, install some version OS X
3) If problem persists try using OS from another drive (USB, Firewire or replace internal drive with another)
Problem still persists after these steps?
-> It is probably something related to logicboard (my bet would be GPU)

You can go to some service provider. I am not sure if Apple Autorized Service Provider will look into this but 2008 MacBooks are still Vintage not Obsolete (= they should have parts for them).
If there is something wrong with logicboard Appleway to deal with it is to replace logic board. That costs unreasonable ammount of money. I wound not recommend it.
If they tell you there there is something wrong with GPU there may be service shops in your area which can replace faulty GPU with a new one. (do not confuse this with reball or reflow which does not solve anything in most cases).

In Czech Republic I know of one technican who orders new GPUs from manufacturer and replaces them for reasonable price.

#12 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:44 AM

So I tried to run AHT, but I couldn't even get that far. I turn it on and hold the D button like it says, but nothing happens it just waits about a minute before loading the log in screen. So I log in, then it just says kernal panic and restarts?

#13 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

I've tried pressing, D, option + D, C, option +C, nothing works... although I can log in on the guest account? Would this help

#14 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostEliteGamerServers, on 05 January 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

I've tried pressing, D, option + D, C, option +C, nothing works... although I can log in on the guest account? Would this help
Does your DVD drive work? Olders Macs require original install media to run AHT.

#15 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

Yes it works... I don't have the original CD though. :(

#16 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

I guess your options include getting the right AHT disk on eBay, or buying/borrowing an alternative like TechTools Pro.

Have you tried removing any extra RAM? It's pretty common for the additional RAM to go bad, particularly if its third party.

Temperature also still seems like a possibility. Make sure the fan is running.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#17 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

How do I remove extra RAM?

Right now I just need to install an OS. I can't install from the recovery because it says I need to connect to the internet, but then I go to connect and it won't... so I'm trying to restore from my backup drive but obviously it just freezes 40 minutes in... the original problem.
Even if I do buy the disk and find out the hard drive has a problem, it won't solve the issue of, it's impossible for me to do anything about it with no OS!

#18 EliteGamerServers

EliteGamerServers

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

I did it!!! It finally restored, so now I've got my Mac working and all the stuff back. Probably still have the freezing problem though... so I guess I will still need to somehow do the AHT thing...

#19 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Sometimes sheer bloodyminded stubbornness wins the day. Congrats!

Removing the RAM: Apple has good instructions for many models. http://support.apple.../en-us/HT201165

(You can often find how-to videos on YouTube as well, which can be a real confidence-booster. In both cases, make sure you use your model number when searching to find the right instructions. Your search may also lead you to Apple's support forums, ifixit, wikihow, and various RAM vendors' instruction pages. Basically, the internet has you covered on this one.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostEliteGamerServers, on 07 January 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

I did it!!! It finally restored, so now I've got my Mac working and all the stuff back. Probably still have the freezing problem though... so I guess I will still need to somehow do the AHT thing...

PM me your serial number and I will get you the Hardware Tests for your system. However it'll be on you to get the images on to a flash drive, but if the mac is currently working somewhat it won't be an issue.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freezing, reboot, update