55 replies to this topic

#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Once again folks, if anyone want's to do news or reviews let me know.  I'll set you up with the privs and you can have at it, we'll get started and fine tune it once we are underway and can see the machinery working.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

I might still want to do some hardware reviews at some point. Got a lot of random Mac compatible gaming hardware around and have done a lot of tinkering with it... might be good for material.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hit me up for privs when you are ready Frost.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 02 January 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes!  Thanks for volunteering.

Who was the other guy who was talking about doing reviews?  Was that Sneaky Snake?  I forgot, sorry.  Remind me and I'll give you IMG Reviewers privs.

As an occasional roleplayer I'm happy to contribute an appropriately occasional RPG review (indy/kickstarted stuff for the most part).

edit: Oh! I do roguelikes too. Awesome.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

OK Nick68k, an IMG writer you are.  I changed the writer's privs so that they can create new topics in either the news or the reviews section.  I'm going to toss the IMG Reviewers group.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

In summary Cord wrote to tell me he won't be coming back.  That's bad news, he was a powerhouse and I read his work every day.  So the news and reviews are wide open for whoever has the caffein.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 January 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

In summary Cord wrote to tell me he won't be coming back.  That's bad news, he was a powerhouse and I read his work every day.  So the news and reviews are wide open for whoever has the caffein.

Posted Image

My plan to takeover IMG and convert it to an advertising landing page is nearly complete. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#28 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 January 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

My plan to takeover IMG and convert it to an advertising landing page is nearly complete. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Micro-transactions inbound. I will make millions billions

Posted Image
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#29 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the privileges, tBC. I'm still trying to get used to the changes here, so please pardon the dumb questions:

- Do we just post reviews to the Review section like they would be any other thread on the forums?
- Is there someone in charge of reviews with whom we'd have to vet our pieces before they go up?

And most importantly, is there someone here who still has any role of reviews editor? As I said earlier, my article is ready to go, but I feel like I need another set of eyeballs to look at it.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2479 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Our suggestion is to post it to the private Writer's forum, heavily labelled DRAFT and PLEASE PROOF. Give a deadline for comments (3 days?) but if a good discussion is happening let it play out. Let other writers make comments, while keeping in mind Neil Gaiman's advice: "Remember: when people tell you somethings wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong."

You are the guinea pig for our new review pipeline! So some of the comments may be about things that aren't specific to your article. No, it's not as good as having an editor, but its all we've got. If it doesn't work we'll have to regroup.

THANK YOU for writing something for IMG.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 19 January 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

Our suggestion is to post it to the private Writer's forum, …
That's the "Holding Bin", I presume?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

View Postrampancy, on 19 January 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the privileges, tBC. I'm still trying to get used to the changes here, so please pardon the dumb questions:

Thank you for stepping up.

- Do we just post reviews to the Review section like they would be any other thread on the forums?

That is the current plan after Cord and Matt bowed out.

- Is there someone in charge of reviews with whom we'd have to vet our pieces before they go up?

Not anymore, want the job?

And most importantly, is there someone here who still has any role of reviews editor? As I said earlier, my article is ready to go, but I feel like I need another set of eyeballs to look at it.

Nope, no editors.  All those qualified have declined.

View PostJanichsan, on 20 January 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

That's the "Holding Bin", I presume?

No that is a temp storage that only the backend could use to queue the news.  There used to be an IMG Writers Forum I set up to help writers organize their work but that was deleted by Tuncer during a reformation of the forums a while back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

You can remake the IMG Writers forum.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#34 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 19 January 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

Neil Gaiman's advice: "Remember: when people tell you somethings wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong."
I had not heard this quote, but that's some of the best writing advice I've ever heard.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#35 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 January 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

You can remake the IMG Writers forum.

Was going to do that tonight.  They can post them there for scrutiny where only writers can see them.  When an item is ready, they can copy it into the News or Reviews forum where everyone can see and then delete it from the IMG Writers forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#36 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 20 January 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Was going to do that tonight.  They can post them there for scrutiny where only writers can see them.  When an item is ready, they can copy it into the News or Reviews forum where everyone can see and then delete it from the IMG Writers forum.

Or maybe ping a moderator to do a 'move'. As depending how they setup the review, it may be a ripe pain to copy it all into a new topic.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Good idea Fm.  I can make any news editor a moderator for those two sub forums only.  Looks like Rampancy is the editor so far.  I didn't get a chance last night to set up the Writers forum, I'll give it another shot tonight.  And no I wasn't playing games.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 January 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Good idea Fm.  I can make any news editor a moderator for those two sub forums only.  Looks like Rampancy is the editor so far.  I didn't get a chance last night to set up the Writers forum, I'll give it another shot tonight.  And no I wasn't playing games.

But playing games is the best excuse! Like, right NOW I'm playing games and not spending the time to type up a forum post! er wait.

-Fm [1oM7]

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

I can't put down BL pre-sequal to respond to that.  And I forgot about grocery shopping tonight, I'll do it tomorrow morning when I have the day off.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17438 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Guh.  I can't seem to make a moderator who can only moderate selected forums.  Seems that one is either a super moderator or can't moderate at all.  I'm thinking the only other way of doing this is that the IMG Editor group will see only the IMG Writers forum, the IMG News forum and the IMG Reviews forum but have super moderator status and would have to log into another account to see everything.  This seems too clunky though.  I'm sure IPB is sophisticated enough to allow a moderator to moderate only specific forums but I don't know the trick.  Any tips on that on an IPB Board?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat