doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Steam Name:doctorpuppet

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hi folks,

So my paired Bluetooth PS3 controller just stopped connecting with my mid-2011 iMac today. It says it is connected in the drop-down Bluetooth menu, I can see the flashing red lights, but it no longer works with any of the games it did 1-2 days ago.
I did download USB Overdrive to use the PS3 controller plugged in (with Expendabros, which was crashing when I tried to use the controller wirelessly) yesterday, and it worked with that. (Which reminds me of my Assassin's Creed 2 thread . . . I should try USB Overdrive with that too!)
Anyway, I made sure Overdrive was not selected as active in System Preferences. I tried that little reset button on the controller itself. Charged it, of course (it was almost full anyway). Restarted my computer. Nothing is working! Any further suggestions? Thanks!

#2 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

Man, this is bumming me out. Add resetting SMC and PRAM (the latter always makes me nervous, as it really screwed up my wifi settings once) to the list. I tried removing the device from the drop-down menu bar list and repairing, no luck. Is it odd that it is showing up in the drop-down list, but not in the list in Bluetooth System Preferences?
In addition, I looked at my System Profile, and the PS3 controller is listed as NOT paired. What?
Lastly, I tried to find com.apple.Bluetooth.plist in "Preferences" under Library (to try deleting it), but I couldn't find it. I did find com.apple.Bluetooth.*big serial number type thing here*.plist.

#3 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

Sorry for spamming my own topic. Last update for now: I tried restoring com.apple.Bluetooth.plist from a few days ago from Time Machine. It asked if I wanted to replace the one that was already there (even though I couldn't see it). I clicked OK, still no PS3 action. Moreover, I still couldn't see the "restored" plist file! Is it normally hidden somehow?

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

Don't worry about spamming your own topic, feel free to give as much information as you want about your problem.  Some pencil necked nerd will be along soon to help you.  It's why I have them chained to the wall.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for saying so! This, combined with a lingering cold, has me rather grumpy today.

#6 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

Update: Well, I tried last what I should have tried first: deleting USB Overdrive, since it was the most recent new installation. Predictably, after a restart, Bluetooth is working just fine again. So, so long USB Overdrive, I guess. Too bad, since I was hopeful that it might be useful for Assassin's Creed 2. But it is definitely not worth it just to get buggy free-to-play Expendabros working. Hopefully, the paid "version" Broforce will be more compatible.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

What the heck?  Are you your own pencil necked nerd?  How is this even possible??
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

Sometimes you just need to babble incoherently to yourself. I've solved many a problem that way.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

You wouldn't think I would have so many problems if that were the case.  It must be a time rift of some sort, you help him in the future but he detects it in the present causing you to not have to post the solution in the future.  The future help doesn't exist in our frame of reference anymore but in that universe where it will exist the alternate doctorpuppet is most grateful and has gone happily on his way.  Sort of like our own doctorpuppet and we owe it all to the crack team of IMG Nerds.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

You just blew my mind.

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

Okay, that made me literally laugh out loud.

doctorpuppet, something else you might keep in mind in future if you ever suspect the issue is with the controller itself: the DualShock 3 has a small hole on the back that you can stick the tip of a paper clip in much like floppy and optical drives' emergency eject holes. If you insert the paper clip and hold that down for a few seconds, it does a total reset on the DualShock 3. If you ever move to a DualShock 4, the same applies.

Sony is not specific as to what "a few" means, so the best way to see if it's been reset is to turn it on and watch the red LEDs (DS3)/light bar(DS4) and hold it till they shut off. Or just hold it till you reach the "surely this has been long enough" point.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 doctorpuppet

doctorpuppet

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I tried that before, Frost, but thanks for the more detailed instructions (than I was able to find online earlier).

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 December 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

You wouldn't think I would have so many problems if that were the case.  It must be a time rift of some sort, you help him in the future but he detects it in the present causing you to not have to post the solution in the future.  The future help doesn't exist in our frame of reference anymore but in that universe where it will exist the alternate doctorpuppet is most grateful and has gone happily on his way.  Sort of like our own doctorpuppet and we owe it all to the crack team of IMG Nerds.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

Didn't mean to go all Time Lord on you guys, but that's how we cats see it, as we are neither bound by time nor space.  Cheshire Cat for instance, a member of my fraternity Kappa Alpha Tau, dimensional shifter.  Met Felix the Cat when I was in 1st grade, he could pull a car out of a satchel.  Many many examples.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ps3 controller, bluetooth, yosemite