Bootcamp VS Native OS X Ports

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nazareth_Darkshore

Nazareth_Darkshore

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

So I've got a number of games running on windows 7 under Bootcamp and their OS X native counterparts running on the Yosemite partition. Invariably, these games (in particular, the Batman Arkham series) perform better on Windows than OS X. I don't understand why this could be. The games for windows were purchased through Steam and the OS X one's through the App Store. From what I've read, the Mac ports are optimized to run on OS X, so why are they performing poorly on the same machine next to the windows versions which run smoothly? I'm pulling my hair out, because I would love to not be chained to windows for gaming if the titles I want to play are available natively. Can anybody educate me?

Here are my specs:

webkit-fake-url://aa04bad0-023d-4fb1-a8f3-dbaab15fb7cf/image.tiff

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

Most games do run better under windows, some more drastically than others. A lot of it has to do with Apple's insistence on being several versions behind on Open GL. It's hard for the porting houses to match up DirectX APIs to Macintosh Equivalents. Some games are ported with wrapping technology, VPLd's eON seems to be especially bad compared to TransGamings cider.

Some I have no idea what the deal is. BL2 seems to have a terrible time on Nvidia cards on OS X and runs superbly on ATI cards. Tomb Raider runs smooth as a babies bottom on OS X. BioShock Infinite was nigh unplayable on any hardware on OS X until 10.9.2, then it ran pretty darn good.

Given Apple's insistence on paring adequate hardware with subpar gaming support when my Mac Pro (dual booted) finally kicks it I will probably get a mini or iMac KVM'd with a SFF high performance Windows box. I have a pc in the basement for gaming anyway and it's a hassle sometimes when I've played something on OS X and steam cloud saves generally are not cross platform.

Also wat the heck is that URL supposed to be.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

In my personal experience, AMD drivers have always sucked on OS X, so Bootcamp became essential for me. I was unable to run games smoothly at medium settings with my 3GB graphics card, that I can run smoothly with ultra settings on windows. Like macdude said, a lot of it has to do with apple, but there are also some companies that are notoriously horrible.

(Never buy a game that has been ported by virtual programming, not only is the port most likely bad, but their support is almost nonexistent. Every time I have contacted them, they have always pulled some excuse about how they are too busy with new games to fix problems with their old ones, or they just straight up ignored me.)

While there are bad Windows ports, there is usually a much larger community backlash due to the fact that the gaming community is much larger, which puts more pressure on developers. That pressure doesn't exist on mac gaming I feel.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

most of the time it comes down to very poor programming on the development side.  There is often less money to make the Mac version, and things get rushed.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

Apple started out defending against the accusation that the Macintosh was a toy.  Games make Macs toys in Apples eyes and therefore is not encouraged. The latest top of the line Macs won't support gaming video cards.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Nazareth_Darkshore

Nazareth_Darkshore

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Now at least I know that I can righteously point the finger at developers and that it's not something f***ed up on my end. I guess it's back to Bootcamp if I want a lag-free triple-A experience.

That url was meant to be a screenshot of my specs...

Macbook Pro (14-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor   2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory      4 GB
Graphics    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
                    Intel HD Graphics 4000

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 December 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Apple started out defending against the accusation that the Macintosh was a toy.  Games make Macs toys in Apples eyes and therefore is not encouraged. The latest top of the line Macs won't support gaming video cards.

The graphics technologies Apple does support work very well. Core Image. Core Animation. Look at apps like pixelmator. Rich, lush experiences, the kind you don't get on Windows even today. But it's like Apple makes an active effort to do the bare minimum for Games support.  Sad thing is I grew up on Mac Games, that's what I remember most about being a Mac kid. Escape Velocity, Exile, high res sierra games, high res Sim City 2K, high res Judgement Rites. My versions of games looked leaps and bound better than my asshole DOS using middle school compatriots versions.

Contrary to Frost and his giant E-Peen :teehee: , the cards Apple uses and supports, while not the absolute best of breed, are perfectly serviceable. OpenGL 4.5 with DSA would surely level the field a bit for Aspyr, Feral, and their ilk.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

I have yet to use Bootcamp, I'm a Mac gamer through and through.  Stuck with them through good times and bad, but now I see a time when Apple won't give me anything by which to stick myself, then it's Bootcamp city while I cobble together a rock star gaming PC.

That or I go back to the classics.
Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

tBC, you've got a dual CPU 2010 Mac Pro, right? If I were you, I'd grab a hard drive that's fast, spacious, and reliable with a big 128MB cache like the new 5TB or 6TB DeskStar NAS drives, put Windows on it, and Bootcamp that baby. The rest of your system is ready to play, especially since you grabbed that new GPU and RAM. $250-$300 more and you've got a very respectable gaming PC with an Apple logo on it. Segment 128GB of that 1TB M550 SSD you got for booting Windows and it'll be even faster. If it's not something uber-demanding, those Xeons will even let you game via Parallels really well.

If your GPU ever felt slow, you could always go back to a GTX 680 and just Bootcamp for Borderlands and other titles that for one reason or another run poorly under OSX.

Honestly, I don't think with that machine there's enough of a bottleneck to justify a whole new computer at least until Intel's Skylake platform drops.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || EVGA GTX 680 2GB (Mac Edition) || 480GB Crucial M500 (Macintosh Boot) + 2TB Seagate SSHD (Macintosh Data) + 240 GB OWC SSD (Windows Boot) + 2TB Western Digital Black (Windows Data) || Apple Studio Display

DoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoIt

If you don't need 6TB of space, and I suspect you don't. You would probably get by fine on a Seagate SSHD for under a hundred bucks. The 1 and 2 TB models have pretty fast mechanical drives and the 8GB associated NAND makes booting fast. Especially if you just wanted to dip your toe in the water.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 December 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

That or I go back to the classics.

lets just Skype and play bolo

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

I'm looking into the far future with my statement above.  This Mid 2010 Mac Pro still has a lot of game left in it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 December 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'm looking into the far future with my statement above.  This Mid 2010 Mac Pro still has a lot of game left in it.

yes, with a drive. Booted to Windows. Heyo.

Posted Image

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 December 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Definitely. If it starts getting weak-kneed, just Bootcamp it and it'll breathe new life into it for gaming purposes.

View Postmacdude22, on 11 December 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

If you don't need 6TB of space, and I suspect you don't. You would probably get by fine on a Seagate SSHD for under a hundred bucks. The 1 and 2 TB models have pretty fast mechanical drives and the 8GB associated NAND makes booting fast. Especially if you just wanted to dip your toe in the water.

It's not so much for the space as for HGST's new 1.2TB platters. With the latest iterations of the DeskStar NAS, there's finally HDD that can beat the 3TB Barracuda (which beats the Seagate SSHDs surprisingly enough in most benchmarks). They're also still PMR, not that crappy new SMR that slows the hell out of HDDs. I just RAIDed a pair of them in my Synology last month and they are all kinds of fast.

View Postmacdude22, on 11 December 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

lets just Skype and play bolo

Imma take all yer pillboxes, bro. And shoot your Man.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, be boot camping for sure before I give up on this machine.  It's a pretty solid computer and we've been through a lot.  Taken a lot of scalps we have.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat