#1 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hi Folks,

This has been long overdue but we are considering shutting down Inside Mac Games on a permanent basis. We would love to keep it alive but the sad fact is that it has been neglected for far too long and it's time to make some changes. We would like to open up some discussions to see if we can come up with a solution.

Here's some ideas to get the discussions going:

1) We shut it done....hasta la vista.
2) Sell Inside Mac Games to an interested buyer.
3) Develop a new web site with the help of the community (more news oriented, less reviews, etc).
4) Other suggestions.

Thoughts?
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

Well, that doesn't really come as a surprise, given how little activity there was in the last months. :(

Option 3 would be my preference, but this still would require at least some dedicated staff. Other Mac gaming sites with only two or three writers, like Mac Gamer HQ, also are noticeably struggling.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

I would love to see option 3. Unfortunately I can't help with articles because my Enlish is too poor for that :-(
- Is it possible to hire some people and pay them for ad profit?
- Have you spoken with other Mac gaming sites if it would be possible to do some kind of merge?

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'd say remove the parts that aren't too active any more and just focus on it as a forum?

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Option 3 would be my preference is well. I also like the idea mentioned just above about merging with other sites. Perhaps consolidating the last few Mac gaming websites together into one would be better for everybody? What's going to happen to the Mac Game Store though?

I'm very sad to see this happen but I'm not really surprised either. I know how difficult it is to keep something like this up plus the landscape in Mac gaming has changed dramatically since the early days of Inside Mac Games. I've been with this since the beginning, even did reviews for the site for a while, so this will be sorely missed.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#6 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#7 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

Man, sad news, but I understand things change. It'd be wonderful if the forum remained in some fashion. I've enjoyed it. IMG Pro for EVUUUUUH!!!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#8 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostHansi, on 21 November 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'd say remove the parts that aren't too active any more and just focus on it as a forum?

That or #3.
What is a man?

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Definitely keep the forum if you can, though I know it also runs on a paid service. (I  think anyway, IP board, so if a paid service is an issue, a cheaper and/or free forum could be implemented?)

Not seeing a merge happen, nor do I want a merge to happen with other Mac game sites. They all have different styles and focus. I know who runs them all on a semi-personal basis. This isn't a critique, but everyone wants to do their own thing in a specific way. Merging has lots of issues with that.

I do have a fair amount of web development experience. I am interested in the idea of the community helping develop a new site. That option shouldn't go off the table just yet.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#10 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Sad to hear this. At the very least I'd like to see the forum remain in some capacity. Happy to contribute some $$ if this helps running costs.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'm also sad to hear this, but can understand why it might be necessary.  I largely come back for the community of the forums, if that helps you make a decision.

#12 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

I don't have a lot of webdev experience, but I would be very much willing to learn if it means keeping this community together.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#13 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

I'd definitely prefer option #3 and would appreciate an emphasis on news.
I hope in any case the forum will be kept alive in its current form.

How will this all affect MacGameFiles and MacGameStore?

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

4. Forum only.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 21 November 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

I'd definitely prefer option #3 and would appreciate an emphasis on news.
I hope in any case the forum will be kept alive in its current form.

How will this all affect MacGameFiles and MacGameStore?

MacGameFiles will be shut down before the end of the year. MacGameStore is alive and well. We just released version 3.0 of the client.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#16 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

You could merge IMG with MGS.
Like beefing up the News/Review sections there... problem is, MGS already has a forum.
So the IMG forum should stay separate.

I'd still stick with option 3 or a standalone IMG forum website.

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:03 AM

I had mentioned a few times internally that merging IMG into MGS would bring those two entities together better (and also help drive sales with extra news/reviews content and forum traffic haha). Merge as in write new sections and tools, and convert/import the old article content into the new framework.

For the longest time, I've wanted to merge the IMG Forums into the MGS ones because maintaining two separate installs of IPB is a mess, especially when we want to do a big upgrade on them (like going to 3.4 from 3.3). The two site's forums are both running on the same core engine, with just some changes with how accounts are handled (for shopper security).

The MGS forums are absolutely dead because everyone comes here to talk mac games instead. Which is kind of silly speaking from a business standpoint. I would figure a store would want to encapsulate as many target users into one service, than have them spread out. But speaking from a user standpoint, and community, its nicer to have things separated without the overbearing 'big bertha' trying to sell you stuff.

So its a hard call.

I definitely would hate to see the IMG "community" (forums) vanish though. Those should continue to exist somehow, somewhere, in full. As the wealth and history of information buried in these forum tables, is immense.

PS: I wont miss the loss of MGF. I wrote that back in '99 lol... and not much has changed since! Stale old useless site.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#18 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 22 November 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

I had mentioned a few times internally that merging IMG into MGS would bring those two entities together better (and also help drive sales with extra news/reviews content and forum traffic haha). Merge as in write new sections and tools, and convert/import the old article content into the new framework.

For the longest time, I've wanted to merge the IMG Forums into the MGS ones because maintaining two separate installs of IPB is a mess, especially when we want to do a big upgrade on them (like going to 3.4 from 3.3). The two site's forums are both running on the same core engine, with just some changes with how accounts are handled (for shopper security).

The MGS forums are absolutely dead because everyone comes here to talk mac games instead. Which is kind of silly speaking from a business standpoint. I would figure a store would want to encapsulate as many target users into one service, than have them spread out. But speaking from a user standpoint, and community, its nicer to have things separated without the overbearing 'big bertha' trying to sell you stuff.

So its a hard call.

I definitely would hate to see the IMG "community" (forums) vanish though. Those should continue to exist somehow, somewhere, in full. As the wealth and history of information buried in these forum tables, is immense.

PS: I wont miss the loss of MGF. I wrote that back in '99 lol... and not much has changed since! Stale old useless site.

guess it makes sense, daft to run two different forums. i hope you still keep the name, its been around so long.
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

Sad news which ironically comes at a time when I am completely awash in Mac games for the first time in ever.  It seems a no brainer that if everyone comes to this forum and few to the MGS forum that this should be the forum of choice when downsizing.  Added is the fact that this forum has a searchable database of over a decade of gaming and technical experts, deleting the forum sounds almost criminal.  In addition, I've found some of the best people I've ever met online here on these forums.  This is a real community of actively engaged gamers.  It's a fun and friendly place, a genuine rarity in a sea of online flame pits, Please don't chuck it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

I, admittedly, don't go to the IMG proper website much anymore. The IMG forum, however, is one of the few places I visit multiple times daily. It would be nice to see IMG survive in some form, maybe option 3 as others have suggested, but I would only be slightly saddened by it's loss. It would be soul crushing, on the other hand, to see these forums disappear, even though I'm only a bit player here.